Philosophy, fandom and football

fruitvilla

Yeah, we used to have a boss a work who put those sort of puke-inducing posters up in the office - 'There is no "I" in the word "team"', that sort of thing. We struck back with some 'demotivators' like the one below. He didn't like it. No sir, not one bit. 

Edited by mjmooney

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

So where does the fandom and football bit come in? 

When I saw the thread title I knew I’d find this in here.   I’m impressed by how quick on the draw you were.   By pure coincidence, I was just watching this earlier this evening after coming across it searching YouTube for something else.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Thos sort of posters are a massive pet hate of mine.

They genuinely put my teeth on edge whenever I see one 😁

In fact, a few years ago I designed a few of my own that I much prefer. Example below:

Everyone_In_The_World.thumb.jpg.10987c9409725bfb024d92f554780c1d.jpg

Bildresultat för sounds like someone's got a case of the mondays

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

In fact, a few years ago I designed a few of my own that I much prefer. Example below:

I lost a few FB friends over this. I made a few in retaliation to some god awful ones and they didn't go down well. 

Always the same nobbers. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Lots of people have forgotten the FA twinning campaign from a few years ago when every team was paired up with a philosopher.

Man Utd have won the league 20 times, they win Aristotle

Liverpool have won the Champions League, they win Plato

Aston Villa have won the European Super Cup, they win Socrates

Birmingham City, they have won Foucault

I feel Birmingham City fans are most closely associated with Kant.

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Screenshot_2021-02-05-08-11-06-48.jpg

Pessimism is an emotion, not a philosophy.

I’ve done work with some High Street retailers and they have these sort of ‘motivational’ posters on the staff side.

Typically, in the staff room, a picture of a mountain with a slogan like ‘reach your peak potential’. Another one, was a mirror on the back of the door from staff area to shop floor with the slogan ‘this is what the customer sees.. make it your best’.

I suspect that if I actually worked there, I would struggle not to indulge in petty vandalism. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sharing a ‘motivational’ poster/quote is akin to having a ‘Live, Laugh, Love’ thing up in your house somewhere.

Total nonsensical, wishy washy bollocks lapped up by imbeciles.

I've got a fairly big Muhammad Ali poster framed with one of his quotes up on my bedroom wall, did the clinicians miss an imbecile diagnosis during assessment?

I actually spend around thirty minutes to an hour of my day listening to motivational speakers and quotations from those considered greats throughout history.

I find it nourishing. Never has it crossed my mind that I'd be considered an imbecile for it.

5 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

To an optimist, a pessimist's a realist.

Maybe I truly am an imbecile, as I fail to see how that is so.

There's nothing pragmatic about being miserable, however understandable a state of being for someone who's experiencing turmoil or tragedy.

@Vive_La_Villa To answer a very old question you once asked me, yes, I do like stoicism as a philosophical outlook.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Thanks 1

Â