Philosophy, fandom and football

fruitvilla

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sharing a ‘motivational’ poster/quote is akin to having a ‘Live, Laugh, Love’ thing up in your house somewhere.

Total nonsensical, wishy washy bollocks lapped up by imbeciles.

Some can be a bit cringey but some quotes are brilliant. Two of my favourites:

‘People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them’ ~ Epictetus

I knew if I ever once compromised, I was gonna be in trouble, because if you can compromise once, you can compromise again." - Desmond Doss

Pretty obvious stuff but I like it. I am a bit of an Imbecile though. Can’t deny that!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Some can be a bit cringey but some quotes are brilliant. Two of my favourites:

‘People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them’ ~ Epictetus

I knew if I ever once compromised, I was gonna be in trouble, because if you can compromise once, you can compromise again." - Desmond Doss

Pretty obvious stuff but I like it. I am a bit of an Imbecile though. Can’t deny that!

To be fair the imbecile thing might have been a bit harsh.

Unfortunately for me I’m in a job whereby I spend most of my day on LinkedIn and it’s full of people posting absolute crap and then hundreds of people applauding them for it and I just don’t get it, it’s usually some shit about empowering yourself or others or some such crap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Unfortunately for me I’m in a job whereby I spend most of my day on LinkedIn and it’s full of people posting absolute crap and then hundreds of people applauding them for it and I just don’t get it, it’s usually some shit about empowering yourself or others or some such crap.

the only things on there worth watching are those 4d hologram adverts in the far east. Did you see that one with the giant lion? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

The Monroe quote (i think?)

When I used to date, any woman with that in her profile/bio was immediately discarded. 

Yep, as a general indicator, I’ve also found it to be a good rule of thumb. I’ve subsequently seen it posted by someone from my past and she was....erratic, to say the least.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I like having a look at LinkedIn profiles of work colleagues. You'd assume all my colleagues were Elon Musk or Bill Gates by the amount of back slapping, self praising bullshit on their page. "I'm dedicated to perfection" and "I have a proven track record of excellence" etc. What you talking about? Your last job was a sales clerk at Dorothy Perkins. 

Most struggle to write an email to a client.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xela said:

The Monroe quote (i think?)

When I used to date, any woman with that in her profile/bio was immediately discarded. 

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yep, as a general indicator, I’ve also found it to be a good rule of thumb. I’ve subsequently seen it posted by someone from my past and she was....erratic, to say the least.

Can't find the tweet now, but it was just after the German paper Handelsblatt had that bullshit story about the AZ vaccine being 6% effective or whatever, and it was 'if you can't Handelsblatt me at my least accurate then you don't deservelsblatt me at my most accurate'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Laziness is a  CHOICE and  it's the CHOICE that Barkley makes. 

This type of post is why I started this thread ...  I let everyone  have their little play first :)

What is the nature of choice? Or in this case "CHOICE".

Is choice like when I set my car on cruise control and the car 'chooses' to regulate a certain amount of fuel and air into the carburetor to maintain a certain speed?  

Here is what I consider to be a fact ... the universe is fundamentally chaotic (in the scientific sense). Football teams, managers, fans and people are part of this universe and are also fundamentally chaotic. Our choices are chaotic.

So ultimately Villa's results and individual performances are going to be chaotic.

14 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

This type of post is why I started this thread ...  I let everyone  have their little play first :)

Is choice like when I set my car on cruise control and the car 'chooses' to regulate a certain amount of fuel and air into the carburetor to maintain a certain speed?  

Here is what I consider to be a fact ... the universe is fundamentally chaotic (in the scientific sense). Football teams, managers, fans and people are part of this universe and are also fundamentally chaotic. Our choices are chaotic.

So ultimately Villa's results and individual performances are going to be chaotic.

AromaticEmotionalBison-max-1mb.gif

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

U4U.gif

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, will87 said:

A 68-game unbeaten run at home in the Premier League spanning almost 4 years, now immediately followed by 5 consecutive home defeats, incredible.

The universe is fundamentally chaotic, there are patterns in that chaos but is chaotic.

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Who gets to decide its incorrect? 

17 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

Doesnt matter who gets to decide it doesnt change the fact that there is correct action and incorect action.

The Dean Smith thread is positively weird.

The universe fundamentally is at least fundamentally chaotic. 
Let's say we agree on a substitution that we all can agree on as being "correct".  Now, we have to wait until there is a stoppage in play, for the substitution to happen. Dean does not control this aspect of the game. The imagined optimum substitution at the sixty-ninth may not be the same as seventy-first minute. 

Football is chaotic. At best we can deal with probabilities and we (including Dean) don't have access to data, never mind sufficient data to reduce the probabilistic nature of the chaos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Now, we have to wait until there is a stoppage in play, for the substitution to happen. Dean does not control this aspect of the game.

"ROW Z!"

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If we're not allowed to get upset at a player like Jack who has been with us his entire life going to a club like Man City, what's the point in following football at all?

What makes you think there is any point, purpose or meaning in anything?

Either people will get upset or not ... it is not something people choose to do ... see the farmer utube above.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's what he said when signing a new contract that makes fans angry. Fooling us into thinking he was committed and believed In the project

Yes I understand people get angry about all sorts of nonsensical things. Do we not change our minds when the situation changes or we see things in a different light? 

The underlying problem with all this is a belief in free will. We collectively believe our minds are somehow magical and unaffected by cause and effect. Whereas, we, as a species, are profoundly ignorant of the mechanisms that go into thought and things like emotions. We are by and large reactive. So, while I cannot help but be disappointed by a lot of the negative reactions, I also understand that people cannot help themselves.

Lot’s of people that appear to be very emotionally damaged about a footballer leaving a football club appear to now be loading all their hopes and dreams and baggage on to another footballer, Tyrone Mings. 

It’ll be different this time, he won’t let them down, he’s the real deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Are our players getting injured more than players from other clubs? 

And if so...why?

This is a metaphysical question:

The cause of any action in the universe is fundamentally chaotic. You could also ask is (if the answer is yes) are the injuries statistically greater/worse than other clubs?

If the answer is again yes, we might look for proximate causes. 

Alternatively, if we want someone or perhaps something to blame, we can by-pass all serious study.

• Like 1

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Also, there's nothing metaphysically deep or fundamentally chaotic about our injury list under Steve Bruce.

The bastard reportedly made the playing squad run a marathon a day while Bruce the sod gave himself an aneurysm from pork chops and yelling " we'll go at it again!"

(That's a joke, folks)

Edited by A'Villan

Â