Philosophy, fandom and football

fruitvilla

18 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Shall we have a battle of catchy phrases or a discussion?

Well said. However, I kicked the ball your way and asked you to pass it back to me in a way I can receive this time. I'm not going to chase passes I don't have the ability to run onto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies.

OK I will have another go.

There are groups of people who still live in this world who subscribe to some form of nationalism. Seventy odd million people voted for Trump on a "patriotic" ticket. Brexit was fueled on nationalism. As are all the far right ideologies. 

So your statement we no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies is false. I am not arguing commerce and its vehicles are not important. Just that your initial opening sentence was over the top. And regarding commerce, when we have trans national corporations they will try to dissuade war with that nation. There has been the observation we tend not to go to war with nations that we trade with. 

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business. Capitalism and democracy are not synonymous, just as a monarchy and democracy are not synonymous. It's the rich, telling the middle class, to blame the poor. Tradition. 

Someone's watched Network lately.

• Like 1

Oooh, I didn't know that!  You learn something new everyday.  I can heartily recommend it, mind.  It's always the "mad as hell" part that gets quoted but the rant with yer bit in it is the best bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

OK I will have another go.

There are groups of people who still live in this world who subscribe to some form of nationalism. Seventy odd million people voted for Trump on a "patriotic" ticket. Brexit was fueled on nationalism. As are all the far right ideologies. 

So your statement we no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies is false. I am not arguing commerce and its vehicles are not important. Just that your initial opening sentence was over the top. And regarding commerce, when we have trans national corporations they will try to dissuade war with that nation. There has been the observation we tend not to go to war with nations that we trade with. 

And what are the foundations and ethos, the culture, of the country that these patriots belong to and hold so dear? I'm insinuating in my initial statement, and following statements, that there is a misleading pretence and facade about the way we go about living in this world we call home, if you subscribe to the narrative offered by the more influential governments of today. I'm sorry but I think Halliburton was pretty down with the invasion in the Middle East, and I'm sure a few weapons dealers were reasonably pleased with the contracts too.

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Well I was thinking of the duality Mings being brilliant and sh!te at the same time.

Is that only when he goes unobserved though?  Schrödinger's subs bench.

8 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

And what are the foundations and ethos, the culture, of the country that these patriots belong to and hold so dear? I'm insinuating in my initial statement, and following statements, that there is a misleading pretence and facade about the way we go about living in this world we call home, if you subscribe to the narrative offered by the more influential governments of today. I'm sorry but I think Halliburton was pretty down with the invasion in the Middle East, and I'm sure a few weapons dealers were reasonably pleased with the contracts too.

OK you seem to be saying corporations have an agenda.  Yeah. The company I used to work for has a policy not to do exploration in unstable countries. And? 

Whether I subscribe to government policy or foreign bots is a little bit of mystery. But end of the day ideologies and nations still exist and no matter how you twist and turn you are still putting forward some ideology no matter how clumsily you seem to be expressing it.

Â