Midweek Football 1/4 Febuary

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He reviewed it and doubled down on how wrong he was 😂

There's contact, definitely knee to knee but martials legs have gone before that contact comes, both feet are leaving the ground and he arcs his back, it's 100% a dive 

The contact is long after he's already going down. 

we're all seeing the same video. that Martial took a dive shouldn't even be a debate, it is clear as day. Mike Dean doubling down and handing out a red after seeing that is just him being a complete dick.

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

If he gives the foul he has to give the red. He can’t do one and not the other

Sure he can, they make it up as they go. And if they are questioned after the game they can just distort the facts and change the "rules" so it fits.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure he can, they make it up as they go. And if they are questioned after the game they can just distort the facts and change the "rules" so it fits.

If they decide it’s a foul then it’s denying a goal scoring opportunity as he’s the last defender between Martial and the keeper. It’s always a red in that scenario.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

If they decide it’s a foul then it’s denying a goal scoring opportunity as he’s the last defender between Martial and the keeper. It’s always a red in that scenario.

If only they actually followed their own rules. Every single situation is open to interpretation and more or less identical situations are ruled differently depending on ref and especially which teams are involved.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

The rule that was quoted a few pages back said it was only a red for professional fouls

Accidental contact or genuine attempts to play the ball are not automatic red cards

Crazy that after a season where no one seems to know what the handball or offside rules are anymore they've found a way of dragging the last man rule in to it too

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The rule that was quoted a few pages back said it was only a red for professional fouls

Accidental contact or genuine attempts to play the ball are not automatic red cards

Crazy that after a season where no one seems to know what the handball or offside rules are anymore they've found a way of dragging the last man rule in to it too

There was supposed to be a change where less reds were given when a pen was awarded but I haven’t noticed it.

Also the stupid corner they've painted themselves into now means that if Bednarek absolutely wipes out Martial, but he 'makes a play for the ball' (incredibly subjective) then it's a yellow. He tries to get out of the way and Martial dives and it's a red. Insanity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

The danger now is that players will start diving and simulating contact to win penalties, even if a player tries to avoid contact, the precedent is set. Referees need to use some common sense.

This has been happening for a while, our own captain is the king of it.

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

This has been happening for a while, our own captain is the king of it.

Whilst I agree I do also think that Jack is actually very hard to bring down when he has something on and wants to stay up, the crazy thing about martial is he dived whilst 8 yards out in the centre of the goal and his team was 6-0 up

Half way line with no pass on and the opposition pressing yep grealish is winning a free kick all day long 

For all the fouls I think grealish has only won 2 penalties (??) the playoffs vs baggies which was really clever play to take a touch away from gibbs meaning all he could do was foul him and one this season vs baggies 

Most fouled player in the league, he was top of the touches in oppositions box stat too, yet he's only won a small number of penalties... I think its an interesting insight in to what type of player he is

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Whilst I agree I do also think that Jack is actually very hard to bring down when he has something on and wants to stay up, the crazy thing about martial is he dived whilst 8 yards out in the centre of the goal and his team was 6-0 up

Half way line with no pass on and the opposition pressing yep grealish is winning a free kick all day long 

For all the fouls I think grealish has only won 2 penalties (??) the playoffs vs baggies which was really clever play to take a touch away from gibbs meaning all he could do was foul him and one this season vs baggies 

Most fouled player in the league, he was top of the touches in oppositions box stat too, yet he's only won a small number of penalties... I think its an interesting insight in to what type of player he is

I completely agree. I was just making the point that initiating contact, then hitting the deck isn’t new. Mane another also does it a lot. On the slow mo it shows a coming together of legs but you can see that it has been manufactured purposely to win a free kick. Not a dive per se, but still cheating. 

Â