Claret & Green?

maqroll

All clubs should put sustainability at the center of their long term plans, IMO. Glad to see Spurs are doing that with their new stadium. But according to the BBC, Villa rank last in sustainability measures among all Premier League clubs.

The AVFC Supporter's Trust might consider pressing Villa brass on this. It would be good citizenship and good business to take a more aggressive approach on it.

How green are Premier League clubs? Tottenham top sustainability table

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55790760

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

All clubs should put sustainability at the center of their long term plans, IMO. Glad to see Spurs are doing that with their new stadium. But according to the BBC, Villa rank last in sustainability measures among all Premier League clubs.

The AVFC Supporter's Trust might consider pressing Villa brass on this. It would be good citizenship and good business to take a more aggressive approach on it.

why is a Brussels company reporting on the PL?

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

why is a Brussels company reporting on the PL?

Probably becasue BoJo struck a deal with the pesky Europeans enabling them to do as they please.

In reality, the decision of which company to choose was most likely based on a mixture of competence and price - heavily skewed towards the latter.

Edited by sparrow1988

It did say our position is based on older data than all bar one of the other clubs,  so would hope we did more to extend our green virtues recently than in the past, which may move us higher. 

Still, the fact we didn't provide data suggests maybe we're hiding the fact we haven't. Hopefully something the bosses have their eye on. 

Interesting Tottenham are top, despite having just built the new stadium the earns them so much favour...wonder how many decades it will be before the net footprint from that is below the footprint of a team that updates their current stadium (or leaves as is)... not saying they shouldn't be top, but curious about the detail behind the metrics.

31 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Probably becasue BoJo struck a deal with the pesky Europeans enabling them to do as they please.

In reality, the decision of which company to choose was most likely based on a mixture of competence and price - heavily skewed towards the latter.

I meant the BBC?

23 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its a football club. Its commitment to tackling climate change is of course welcome, but hardly important

Its one of @2600 professional football clubs. Its commitment to tackling climate change is welcome, and an important influence on many.

• Like 2

I have a feeling  the fact we have one of the biggest, oldest stadiums, outside of a main city must have an impact.

Out infrastructures are from a time when no one gave a flying compostable cup about this sort of thing.

The new stadiums must go through a lot more regulations that help them in this area.

Woud be nice to be at the front of this list but would take a lot to get there.

• Like 1

It sounds largely like a lot of form filling in and organisation joining to gain points and very little to do with anything that actually helps the environment. 

One of the ways to gain points is to analyse how fans get to the ground. So when they know that Old Trafford is full of cockneys and people off long haul flights, will their green credentials be marked down? 

Edited by DaveAV1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if AVST are climate change deniers tbh

• Shocked 1

If they could actually some trains that you could easily  get back from evening games outside the immediate  Birmingham area  that would be a help.

I think they had some AV special buses but they scrapped that years ago. I bet the vast majority of fans drive to Villa Park being its location to the motorway.

More recently they also offered some demand based bus service in which you signed up and you may get a service. I can't remember its name but I guess it was hardly a roaring success.

We used to have a lot more official lions and unofficial supporters clubs  coaches going to Villa Park home games but a lot packed it in after the 2016 relegation, not sure how many came back last season before the lockdown.

Edited by The Fun Factory

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If they could actually some trains that you could easily  get back from evening games outside the immediate  Birmingham area  that would be a help.

Well, there are trains that are easily accessible (I always go from Aston to NS) but there could be a match extra as sometimes you have to wait a bit. From NS you can get pretty much anywhere.

Having said that, most people put the convenience of driving in ahead of a potential risk to the environment, and I don't really blame them for it. I don't think many people think along these lines when going to a football match.

I do however question their choices. If you catch the train you can have several pints and make the game a much more enjoyable experience ;)

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I actually miss read that then and thought it said BloJob.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Well, there are trains that are easily accessible (I always go from Aston to NS) but there could be a match extra as sometimes you have to wait a bit. From NS you can get pretty much anywhere.

Having said that, most people put the convenience of driving in ahead of a potential risk to the environment, and I don't really blame them for it. I don't think many people think along these lines when going to a football match.

I do however question their choices. If you catch the train you can have several pints and make the game a much more enjoyable experience ;)

If you live more than about 20 -25 miles from Birmingham you would struggle to get back for a evening game. I used to live in the Gloucestershire area and you had no chance getting back so you would have to drive. As fixtures get moved about more and more I expect a lot of people just don't even look for that as an option. Day matches no problem.

There’s a lot of practical things the club could do to reduce its footprint and still be at the bottom of the list.

Yes one company was engaged to measure their criteria, but it’s also an industry were you could get two other companies with different criteria and get another set of outcomes.

It’s easy for others to say you must have X footprint, but there the ones who don’t have to spend the money to achieve X. It’s a football club, not a coal mine and I have every confidence the club are making the best decisions for the football club and the community to be green.

• Like 1

Â