General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

The Premier League is a multi billion pound business. Businesses want to make money, that's the point.

The Premier League makes a lot more money from abroad when Man U, Liverpool etc are towards the top of the league.

Taking "worldwide brands" and replacing them with the like of Newcastle, Villa, Brighton, Wolves is extremely bad for business.

Expect a HELL of a lot more of these decisions and apologies.

25 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Jon Moss has apologised to Gary O'Neil and said he couldn't believe it wasn't given. It's just an absolute laughing stock.

I wonder can teams calculate these apologies at the end of the season for an extra point or two.

Wolves are a team people are tipping to struggle and if go down by a point then will bd uproar

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m sure teams have been pulled back from the dressing rooms in the past to retake a pen or some other reason after VAR had intervened. 

I think it was also United who were bought back to take a penalty but that was at half time not full time

• Like 1

The fact that nobody lost their jobs after they changed the rules to give City their offside goal against was the moment they stopped trying to hide obvious corruption and just couched it all in apologies. Will it take a suing the league for stuff to now change? Imagine if this ends up relegating Wolves. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Sack refs. Sack incompetence at Stockley Park. It's a racket to protect corruption and incompetence. 

they've changed the structure this year

Riley has gone, they've replaced him with 2 directors - Danielle Every as COO who was previously a technical director at St George's and Howard Webb as Chief Refereeing Officer - they've alos given roles to Moss (select group 1 manager whatever that means) and Kevin Friend (select group 2 manager) martin atkinson as select group 1 coach, mIke jones as national group director

its an old boys club

interestingly there isnt a VAR Manager, position hasn't been filled yet

seeing as it was him who apologised last night im guessing it was a group 1 game, so a ref coached by Atkinson, managed by Moss, under the rule of Webb....is anyone surprised Utd got away with one at OT? the 3 line managers of the ref last night all spent 10+ years doing exactly the same

• Like 2

I disagree that there were any clear and obvious ref mistakes in our game at the weekend, might have been some mistakes by the ref but nothing where VAR should have overturned a decision (IMO). Also if you start giving offsides for players that are standing offside but not directly interfering with play, there will be so many overturned goals this season, I prefer that rule to stay as it is. 

There was also an incident that people are not discussing this weekend, where Fulham should have had a late penalty against Everton, as it didn't affect the result it has not been discused, but it was a blatant handball and I was flabbergasted that it did not go to VAR. 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they've changed the structure this year

Riley has gone, they've replaced him with 2 directors - Danielle Every as COO who was previously a technical director at St George's and Howard Webb as Chief Refereeing Officer - they've alos given roles to Moss (select group 1 manager whatever that means) and Kevin Friend (select group 2 manager) martin atkinson as select group 1 coach, mIke jones as national group director

its an old boys club

interestingly there isnt a VAR Manager, position hasn't been filled yet

seeing as it was him who apologised last night im guessing it was a group 1 game, so a ref coached by Atkinson, managed by Moss, under the rule of Webb....is anyone surprised Utd got away with one at OT? the 3 line managers of the ref last night all spent 10+ years doing exactly the same

Wow. It just gets worse, they cannot police themselves. They need to bring some actual independence to the process. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

So allowing to get robbed is a better solution?

What? Who said that? Of course it's not.

But trying to solve it after the game has finished definitely isn't the right solution either. Just don't be blind when it happens and give the pen - it's not much to ask.

I feel pretty sure, that United get that penalty, if that's the other end, or even, if united were 2-0 up, they would have given the penalty as it was the last minute. The officiating is genuinely corrupt

• Like 1

On 13/08/2023 at 17:00, The_Steve said:

Here's the moment the ball is played over the top before Mings gives chase to Isak - two Newcastle players already offside and heading back towards our line, Isak appears ahead of Mings but not Cash. Why no flag? Mings doesn't need to make the run otherwise. I've given up trying to understand the rules tbh.

Screenshot-2023-08-13-at-16-54-13-Newcas

As I said before, if you use VAR for offsides you cannot flag in these situations.

Flagging means the ref blows the whistle and play stops. If they then review the decision and find it was actually onside then you've ruined whatever would have come from that phase of play.

Delaying the flag means the play can go on and unfold, let's say the striker scores. The linesman THEN flags for offside. IF it's then reviewed and they find actually it wasn't offside, then they can let the goal stand.

If the linesman had flagged straight away then that goal doesn't exist and they can't allow it.

There are drawbacks (obviously) but if you have VAR then it has to work this way.

(But again as I previously said, I'd happily scrap VAR and do away with this whole thing)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

literally pointless

This is so infuriating. I understand that there will always be some incidents that different referees have different opinions of.

But something that's described by one ref as a "Blatant penealty" should not be missed when there's a VAR process involved. It's absolutely insane.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’m sure teams have been pulled back from the dressing rooms in the past to retake a pen or some other reason after VAR had intervened. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think it was also United who were bought back to take a penalty but that was at half time not full time

This the one you’re referring to? This one was after full time but I’m not sure the players were quite down the tunnel.

Bruno Fernandes converted a penalty deep into added time as Manchester United snatched a dramatic 3-2 win from an incident-packed encounter at Brighton.

The decision to award United a penalty came after referee Chris Kavanagh had blown the full-time whistle at the Amex Stadium.

Sky Sports Link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

The Premier League is a multi billion pound business. Businesses want to make money, that's the point.

The Premier League makes a lot more money from abroad when Man U, Liverpool etc are towards the top of the league.

Taking "worldwide brands" and replacing them with the like of Newcastle, Villa, Brighton, Wolves is extremely bad for business.

Expect a HELL of a lot more of these decisions and apologies.

Then just get rid of VAR if your going to be corrupt at least let us enjoy football without the waiting.

VAR was bought in to stop this shit yet they help the bigger sides and either come up with some nonsense why the bad decision was given or they apologise nothing happens to them.

They should be fined for bad errors like this with the money going to childrens charities

• Like 2

Â