General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

Just now, sne said:

Because? I've no idea about the rules either but interesting to hear why not.

Romero (I think it was?) is sprinting across to stretch and attempt to block the shot.  It hits his arm which is away from his body because he's a human being.

Just now, bobzy said:

Romero (I think it was?) is sprinting across to stretch and attempt to block the shot.  It hits his arm which is away from his body because he's a human being.

So no penalty if you're a human? Fair enough as long as they are consistent about it.

For me it's a pen because he's making himself bigger with arm stretched out from his sides and because he's stopping a shot that was heading for goal.

Just now, Mantis said:

Feels like VAR incidents/controversies are now happening in literally every other game. We get like 5+ big-ish ones every weekend.

Incidents, sure, but not that many controversies.

For example, that handball one... I don't think it's a real problem whether it's given or not.  It's pretty 50/50 (for me, no, for sne, yes) and definitely not outrageous either way.

The Onana foul, though?  That was incredibly controversial (and, to be honest, a **** ludicrous non-decision).

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

So no penalty if you're a human? Fair enough as long as they are consistent about it.

For me it's a pen because he's making himself bigger with arm stretched out from his sides and because he's stopping a shot that was heading for goal.

Well, his arm is there because he's running and trying to stretch to block a shot.  For me, that stuff being penalised by a free hit to goal from 12 yards is crazy.  If he's stood still and his arm does that, it's a penalty.  But on the move?  Maybe if he stuck it right up in the air, but not that IMO.

But I can understand the other view.

• Like 1

Just simplify this shit

contact is always a foul

if it hits a hand it’s always a handball

i wouldn’t like it but it’s better than this subjective bullshit favouring the same teams every day 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The problem there is that 3 years ago it was a penalty, then 2 years ago it wasn't, now who knows, apparently it's not but next week...

They've made a rod for their own back through rules changes and inconsistency

Could wheel out guff like silhouette of his body and making himself unnaturally bigger (kw) but I honestly don't know what the wording is anymore

That's another problem with PGMOL, even when they're right everyone thinks they're wrong because they've **** about so much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just simplify this shit

contact is always a foul

i wouldn’t like it but it’s better than this subjective bullshit favouring the same teams every day 

Nah we had that directive start of 2020 season and teams were getting pens when ball was blasted at defenders hands when they'd had their backs turned.

Even the Digne one at Palace last season was example, still no idea how that was given.

I think with Romero one they got it right on comms, it hits his left hand which is really outstretched and likely gets given, less so with his right hand tucked well into his body and it just happens to hit it.

Fernandes going to be booked about 20 times this season which is a big positive of the clampdown on dissent at least.

Edited by VillaChris

Freddie Ljungberg commentating here said that the new thing that they had to judge handball is how close the defender is to the player taking the shot. So there is a lot of things now open for interpretations.

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The problem there is that 3 years ago it was a penalty, then 2 years ago it wasn't, now who knows, apparently it's not but next week...

They've made a rod for their own back through rules changes and inconsistency

Could wheel out guff like silhouette of his body and making himself unnaturally bigger (kw) but I honestly don't know what the wording is anymore

That's another problem with PGMOL, even when they're right everyone thinks they're wrong because they've **** about so much

Yeah, as I said initially I have no idea what actually constitutes a handball now so I always just judge each one on my own views :D

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just simplify this shit

contact is always a foul

God no

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Nah we had that directive start of 2020 season and teams were getting pens when ball was blasted at defenders hands when they'd had their backs turned.

Even the Digne one at Palace last season was example, still no idea how that was given.

I think with Romero one they got it right on comms, it hits his left hand which is really outstretched and likely gets given, less so with his right hand tucked well into his body and it just happens to hit it.

Fernandes going to be booked about 20 times this season which is a big positive of the clampdown on dissent at least.

Not entirely true, there were still subjective calls made. 

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, as I said initially I have no idea what actually constitutes a handball now so I always just judge each one on my own views :D

God no

I have the same feeling about it but at least there would be zero room for subjectivity. 

We're nearing the point it'll improve football if you just get rid of penalties.

Players are getting into the box and hurling themselves down. So boring.

No reason at all you can't book people on VAR for diving either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We're nearing the point it'll improve football if you just get rid of penalties.

I cant remember the last yellow card for diving in the VAR age...i bet was a Villa player

On 15/08/2023 at 12:40, KentVillan said:

The weird thing is Man Utd specifically - not the Sky 6 in general - seem to benefit from an enormous number of obviously incorrect decisions.

Why is that? Do we have a generation of referees who grew up when Man Utd were dominant, and there’s more of an aura around the club and the stadium?

Is it that referees prefer to err on the side of not pissing off Man Utd fans?

Or is it (seems unlikely to me tbh, but you never know) outright corruption?

I can answer this.. It is because Man Utd have been lower in the league than they want them to be and have been for a few years now. Hence the "helping hand" is coming out thick & often now as they desperately try to get what is frankly a mid table team, to finish in the top 4. They achieved it last season and Utd were largely awful.... Work that out!

I've been saying how this works on here for years now but have always been shot down in the main.  Finally people are starting to become more aware of just how corrupt this League is. That Wolves no-penalty literally could not have been any more stonewall and yet a whole team of officials, with the benefit of replays etc, said it was inconclusive.... well that is 100% conclusive that this League is corrupt in my opinion. Notice how they pulled it out in the last few minutes of the game too with UTD clinging to an undeserved lead. If it had been 3-0 to UTD they would have given it.

Regards this new offside situation, it is once again the new season "smokescreen" they have created, purely to facilitate all the incoming dodgy decisions we & the rest of the "other" teams will inevitably get against the usual clubs. We all know who they are of course. They do it every season and it's then used to coverup "mistakes"...& yet as in every season, 90% of them will go in favour of those clubs with most of the ones which go against them being when they play against each other or when it doesn't matter. It's easy to give a penno aganst Man Utd when they are already 3-0 up for example. If it's close you won't get the decision......They, if the roles were reversed, would of course.

Happens every season and it's so predictable it's actually ridiculous now.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I've actually thought this for a while. I'm sure when penatlies were introduced to football it was intended for serious foul play and basically denying a goal. These days it's for breathing on someone on the corner of the penalty area (like the Liverpool one today)

Gifting someone a free shot at goal from 12 yards for most of the fouls we see is ridiculous. I would change it to indirect free kicks, with penalties only for last man fouls.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I can answer this.. It is because Man Utd have been lower in the league than they want them to be and have been for a few years now. Hence the "helping hand" is coming out thick & often now as they desperately try to get what is frankly a mid table team, to finish in the top 4. They achieved it last season and Utd were largely awful.... Work that out!

I've been saying how this works on here for years now but have always been shot down in the main.  Finally people are starting to become more aware of just how corrupt this League is. That Wolves no-penalty literally could not have been any more stonewall and yet a whole team of officials, with the benefit of replays etc, said it was inconclusive.... well that is 100% conclusive that this League is corrupt in my opinion. Notice how they pulled it out in the last few minutes of the game too with UTD clinging to an undeserved lead. If it had been 3-0 to UTD they would have given it.

Regards this new offside situation, it is once again the new season "smokescreen" they have created, purely to facilitate all the incoming dodgy decisions we & the rest of the "other" teams will inevitably get against the usual clubs. We all know who they are of course. They do it every season and it's then used to coverup "mistakes"...& yet as in every season, 90% of them will go in favour of those clubs with most of the ones which go against them being when they play against each other or when it doesn't matter. It's easy to give a penno aganst Man Utd when they are already 3-0 up for example. If it's close you won't get the decision......They, if the roles were reversed, would of course.

Happens every season and it's so predictable it's actually ridiculous now.

So why didn’t Man Utd get a penalty against Spurs, and then end up losing the game?

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It’s been said a few times, indirect free kick unless it’s denial of a goal scoring opportunity. That would stop a lot of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s been said a few times, indirect free kick unless it’s denial of a goal scoring opportunity. That would stop a lot of it.

Obvious response is that a professional footballer being in the penalty area is likely to be a “goal scoring opportunity” like 90% of the time. 

Â