General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

Just have the refs follow the rules (with a slight adjustments so they can review yellow card stuff) and see what happens. With VAR they have every opportunity to hand out yellow cards for diving when it happens. That might change things, especially if you also actually  risk a yellow for pestering the refs.

Obviously it all hinges on the refs being good a their jobs and being consistent with their calls regardless if it's Saka or Solanke who goes down in the box (Kenneth gif)

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Obvious response is that a professional footballer being in the penalty area is likely to be a “goal scoring opportunity” like 90% of the time. 

No, not 90% of the time. Often if there’s a genuine opportunity to score they’ll stay on their feet. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

No, not 90% of the time. Often if there’s a genuine opportunity to score they’ll stay on their feet. 

What do you define as a goal scoring opportunity though? Look at Hamer’s goal for Sheff Utd (might have been slightly outside the box, can’t remember exactly) - professional footballers can score from basically “anywhere”.

If you go down the whole “obvious goal scoring opportunity” route like red cards, it’d be an absolute mess. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What do you define as a goal scoring opportunity though? Look at Hamer’s goal for Sheff Utd (might have been slightly outside the box, can’t remember exactly) - professional footballers can score from basically “anywhere”.

If you go down the whole “obvious goal scoring opportunity” route like red cards, it’d be an absolute mess. 

The usual rule used for red cards, last defender takes out a striker with only the keeper to beat in a central position

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

And it’s famously not a mess right now :D 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

The usual rule used for red cards, last defender takes out a striker with only the keeper to beat in a central position

Would give far too big an upper hand to the defending side IMO. 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

And it’s famously not a mess right now :D 

I don’t think penalties are that messy now - or, certainly not any moreso than they have been in the last however long.

VAR possibly doesn’t get involved enough but then I think it’s relatively hard to decide to overturn most decisions (I.e: the Liverpool penalty awarded, there’s contact so you can argue “foul” but there’s no way it sends the player flying so you can also argue “dive”. I have no idea which is right and imagine that on field decision would stand either way). 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Would give far too big an upper hand to the defending side IMO. 

An indirect free kick is still not ideal, but less of a punishment than a penalty. It won’t be perfect, but it should rebalance it slightly.

Just now, Genie said:

An indirect free kick is still not ideal, but less of a punishment than a penalty. It won’t be perfect, but it should rebalance it slightly.

It just encourages fouls in the box. Opposition with a great chance to score? Just pull the player back for an indirect free kick. 

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I have no idea which is right and imagine that on field decision would stand either way). 

The issue is that the on field decision is absurdly inconsistent even within the same match. 

So what mistakes have we got so far this weekend.

Liverpool pen is a blatant dive if you ask me.

Mac Ally red card has been given by the ref and then approved by VAR.

Brentford penalty is the softest of the season so far, it's not even a foul and again would have been approved by VAR.

Man Utd pen is interesting, I don't mind these not being given based on how close they are and if the hand is high but you'll see this exact scenario result in a pen next week.

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

So what mistakes have we got so far this weekend.

Liverpool pen is a blatant dive if you ask me.

Mac Ally red card has been given by the ref and then approved by VAR.

Brentford penalty is the softest of the season so far, it's not even a foul and again would have been approved by VAR.

Man Utd pen is interesting, I don't mind these not being given based on how close they are and if the hand is high but you'll see this exact scenario result in a pen next week.

2 Villa goals wrongly disallowed😝

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

It just encourages fouls in the box. Opposition with a great chance to score? Just pull the player back for an indirect free kick. 

Automatic booking along with the free kick?

Not that I’m an advocate for removing penalties. Just offering a further deterrent. A team would have to take it turns to commit a foul in the area to avoid a red card.

It wouldn’t be a solution without its own problems.

Â