General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Well it is, it's kind of key

Being kicked on your left leg doesn't make your right leg crumble 

You watch the isak foul and see the speed at which he's moving before the kick and after the kick, not only does his body twist after being kicked it also magically speeds up 

To me jesus is absolutely not a penalty, the contact is on a different leg to the one that bears the impact, the impact is borne on his standing leg, the one that isn't kicked.... 

Duran is kicked on his left foot, as a result he doesn't plant it... It's therefore a foul 

To be fair he does plant it, then his right foot/leg collapses, defo simulation, but so what, I'll take it.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not only is this the worst dive in history, the officials gave the pen (which was scored) and sent the defender off

I don’t think it’s what it seems. The defender (24?) stumbles when running back after crossing with the attacker so he’s obviously caught him. Stockley isn’t even looking at the defender so would be a genuinely incredible dive if he managed it  

A red card is harsh as it looks entirely accidental, but he’s definitely caught.

On 08/11/2023 at 11:21, bobzy said:

This whole thing with studs showing is absurd.

Celtic had a man sent off against Ath Madrid who dared to wear football boots whilst trying to block a ball.  Ath Madrid player essentially kicks up into his studs - yellow card given on the field, but then VAR do a classic freeze frame showing studs on shin (zero context).  Overturned, red card.

It's a nonsense, there's no danger there.  Studs doesn't = horror challenge every time.

Oh look, it's happened again.

Everton appealing DCL’s red card. Thats a very interesting one. If it is overturned then VAR needs to be scrapped, or at least the clowns who suggested the red relieved of duties.

The full 90 minutes of complete incompetence by the referee in our game last night is the reason VAR exists and will continue to do so. He got so many things wrong, you'd think he was doing it on purpose.

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

The full 90 minutes of complete incompetence by the referee in our game last night is the reason VAR exists and will continue to do so. He got so many things wrong, you'd think he was doing it on purpose.

VAR get so many things wrong that you'd think they were doing it on purpose.

... so which is the lesser of 2 evils?

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed. 

If VAR wasn’t completely incompetent then it would be a god send

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

VAR get so many things wrong that you'd think they were doing it on purpose.

... so which is the lesser of 2 evils?

Some sort of utopia where better refs also results in better VARs... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed. 

If VAR wasn’t completely incompetent then it would be a god send

There's a common theme to the bad decisions and it's nothing to do with videos.....

6 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Don't twist my words on this one as I'm not speaking towards his incompetence specifically, but I think he has refereed one match in the past year without having VAR by his side. Again, not excusing his performance, but have to wonder if referees are so used to having VAR as a crutch to rely on that their own skills are being diminished.

7 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

But then it's those incompetent refs who then sit in and control VAR. Watching a red card foul or handball 20 times in slow motion makes no difference to the quality of the decisions, if its the same referees making them. Bonkers really how it's run, over 5 years now and hasn't really improved, an I doubt it will with the referees we have, cause in reality they are the problem not VAR.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Some sort of utopia where better refs also results in better VARs... 

In European and international football there seems to be far less massive errors in the officiating. English football seems to be blighted by poor officials, which I think is more complicated than it appears. I think they are wrapped up in things like managers complaining, VAR making the onfield ref look weak, contradicting decisions they made the week before and it affects all of what they do.

3 hours ago, tinker said:

There's a common theme to the bad decisions and it's nothing to do with videos.....

That's a bingo! Monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare comes to mind. Just by having more people look at it means we're likely to see more correct decisions overall.

• Like 1

Similarly to the Ben Mee red card non-decision, the ref in the Boro match could not have been better placed to see the Moreno penalty. Absolutely perfect, textbook position. His assessors would be proud. 

So how the hell he so confidently dismissed any claim out of hand is bizarre. 

4 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Similarly to the Ben Mee red card non-decision, the ref in the Boro match could not have been better placed to see the Moreno penalty. Absolutely perfect, textbook position. His assessors would be proud. 

So how the hell he so confidently dismissed any claim out of hand is bizarre. 

I agree it was a pen, but when VAR is running it's one the officials will look and say it's not an obvious error, depending on which badge is on the shirt.

Review every decision of every game with a committee, make it last 10 hours if need be. 

Or simply have no rules, just play prison rules football. 

Both would be better options than the current state of officiating

• Like 1

Couldn't stand that dopey looking David Coote before this game but this was a new low. It's like if we were playing peak Manure under Sir Alex. He gave then everything and allowed us next to nothing. Completely lost the plot in the second half. We got 4 yellow they got 1. How? :D 

Â