General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

18 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

After the penatly that wasn't awarded to Wolves in the first match and now this. What a joke!

2x 1 goal wins due to extremely favourable refereeing decisions. You still know that soon as a 50:50 goes against them ETH will be ranting 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Punched "rashford dive" in to YouTube to see if it was on there yet, saw it and it's shocking.... As bad as the one he did vs Southampton and the one he did vs Swansea

It will never change

FWIW, I don’t think it’s actually THAT bad (having now watched the highlights)

5 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Watching Newcastle v Liverpool - the ref didn't give Alexander-Arnold a yellow because it would have been his second 🙄

The first yellow was cobblers. In fairness the second incident was barely a foul let alone a yellow.

You have to wonder if a few brown envelopes stuffed with Saudi dollars have been passed around at PGMOL????

6 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

The first yellow was cobblers. In fairness the second incident was barely a foul let alone a yellow.

You have to wonder if a few brown envelopes stuffed with Saudi dollars have been passed around at PGMOL????

To be fair I agree they're soft but if that's the rules we're playing to..

Just now, villa4europe said:

Its one of those for me where there's a huge disconnect between playing football and watching football

Rashford is obviously a better footballer than me, he's more athletic, he's bigger he's stronger... Yet if I do that down the leisure centre during a weekly kick about with mates or Sunday league* down the park I'm getting ridiculed, I'm getting laughed at and told to pack it in, you'd be embarrassed to do it

So why is an elite athlete at the very top level falling over in that fashion and getting rewarded for it? It's not the game we play and the PL is worse for it not better

I dread to think this shite is now starting at kids park level

* kiddy Sunday league you'd be lucky if you were only laughed at...

It’s a fine line and depends what you want to see given as a foul. I think there’s an absolute argument that he’s impeded because the defender catches his knee/thigh. Nowhere near enough to make him fall so theatrically, but probably enough to make his balance get thrown off in a good position.

So do you give a foul for being impeded or do you have to have enough force to take someone to ground?

FWIW, I’m not saying it’s a clear penalty at all but it’s also not a “proper” dive. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s a fine line and depends what you want to see given as a foul. I think there’s an absolute argument that he’s impeded because the defender catches his knee/thigh. Nowhere near enough to make him fall so theatrically, but probably enough to make his balance get thrown off in a good position.

So do you give a foul for being impeded or do you have to have enough force to take someone to ground?

FWIW, I’m not saying it’s a clear penalty at all but it’s also not a “proper” dive. 

FWIW this is why at the start of the thread I said I didn't want VAR... There's no 100% set in stone "right" answer to it, for me there's a degree of tolerance given the pace of the game and the view of the ref, VAR effectively removes that tolerance but doesn't change the subjectivity of the incident so they've made a huge rod for their own back

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

FWIW this is why at the start of the thread I said I didn't want VAR... There's no 100% set in stone "right" answer to it, for me there's a degree of tolerance given the pace of the game and the view of the ref, VAR effectively removes that tolerance but doesn't change the subjectivity of the incident so they've made a huge rod for their own back

This was given but not overturned, so presumably working as you’d want?

20 hours ago, Genie said:

2x 1 goal wins due to extremely favourable refereeing decisions. You still know that soon as a 50:50 goes against them ETH will be ranting 

He was already moaning about the amount of stoppage time.

Plenty of flaws in this Man. United team so regardless of decisions it's going to be a difficult season up to January for them.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

This was given but not overturned, so presumably working as you’d want?

If it was given real time from the refs angle I wouldn't agree with it but I'd understand why it was given

With VAR I don't agree with it and I don't understand why it was given

They've got it wrong twice in my opinion and that makes it beyond frustrating

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villan95 said:

To be fair I agree they're soft but if that's the rules we're playing to..

This is the problem though. Consistency. Different incident, but there was a challenge in the box involving 20x more force on the defender in the Brighton v West Hame game, than the Man U game, and it was play on. Rashford dives after a gust of wind touches him- Pen 

Point is, there is no consistency, at all in refereeing atm. Honestly they need to be accountable for this shit they serve on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

https://x.com/johnclarkeffc/status/1695790021129765237?s=46&t=eM_ttHDujCh9jtbkjgfUTA

arsenal home crowd annoyed at losing and ref bows to pressure despite not knowing the rules 

its a joke 

To my mind, if all that is indeed the case, that player’s suspension now gets overturned (**** the fact it’s two yellows, it should be overturned*) and the ref should miss next week’s fixture while he re-reads the section on goal kicks.

*I’m of a mindset that if a player receives two yellows, if there are concerns over either the first or second, the folk in the VAR room should raise it with the ref and he checks to see if the player should only be on one.

Now whether the people reviewing it would know about this goal kick incident, could be debatable. But if their lack of knowledge and understanding of the rules HAS to impact this game, there’s no reason why the suspension should be upheld and impact the next game.

• Like 1

Â