18 team Premier League?

danceoftheshamen

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Also interesting this is being pushed so hard in a season where Everton and Villa are competing with the big boys.

Early days, I know, but how elite would their new league look without this season's champions? Everton are not that bad either. ;)

9 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I wouldn’t mind replacing those teams with Celtic and Rangers and few others in the Championship tbh 

Glasgow Rangers at Villa Park. After our “friendly” with them in 1976 🤕. I’ll get my tin hat.

• Haha 1

I really think every game in this league would feel hollow and pointless. A bit like a show piece friendly between England and Brazil that seems amazing on paper but lacks any kind of passion or purpose. Relegation, cup knock outs and the fear of missing a qualification for something are what makes football worth watching. Where's the intrigue if regardless how shit you are you can go again next year (and probably be shit again)?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I wouldn’t mind replacing those teams with Celtic and Rangers and few others in the Championship tbh 

You'd have to offer to merge the whole of the Scottish league system otherwise we'd be just as bad. 

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Luckily we have this season...

True. And the next. So maybe it'll be just a relief.

I wonder when they'll realise that having christmas every day takes away the special feeling around it.

5 minutes ago, Pelle said:

I wonder when they'll realise that having christmas every day takes away the special feeling around it.

then they'll start a new competition. to be played during the week so as not to interfere with the super league. it'll be a brand new concept involving teams in this current league, plus some other lesser teams from around the continent. they could even decide who enters this competition, through some sort of league points system + their performances in their respective leagues. then split them into smaller groups to be settled by a few knockout rounds. or is that just a ridiculous suggestion?

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Please let them go.

The premier league would be such a better  and entertaining league without these lot.

I gurantee it flops bad. Even the most die hard fan isnt going to be travelling abroad each week to watch their team.  Also psg vs liverpool wont have the same fire and passion as livepool vs Everton 

The mistake you are making is thinking it is anything to do with UK fans.

It's purely for their millions of fans around the world who NEVER go to see them live but buy all their merchandise and pay to watch on the telly.  You can guarantee this will be on a ppv basis with the bigger clubs hoovering up the majority of the cash.  

I've seen a quote about how Celtic will like this.  Will they really?   Being hammered week in week out, i don't think so.

Edited by sidcow

so this seems a FIFA thing which will kill the Champions League. Infantino is worse than Blatter absolute prick

I am sure Klopp who hates playing games will be fuming at Liverpool owners about an extra 30 games a season

Edited by Zatman

This will be seperate to Champions League.

Just a plot to keep the big clubs at the top. They will become so unbelievable rich from this format that there is literally no chance for the smaller clubs to compete with them.

They will probably find a way to earn power of decisions too and change FFP to make sure the lesser clubs don't have access to rich owners.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Please let them go.

The premier league would be such a better  and entertaining league without these lot.

More entertaining, yes. But we'd have zero chance of retaining our best players knowing there's this greener pasture that they can join. you could argue it's like the champions league, but that's a competition we currently have a chance of being in. jack stayed knowing that was the ambition of our owners. what if this league was around now? think jack would have stayed?

if this is a special members only club, then every player is going to be desperate to be part of it

Â