Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

6 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

If he is such a great option, then wouldn't other clubs be coming in for him? Where are the 10M bid by the likes of Southamption, Brighton and Palace? 

I don't recall lots of bids for Wayne Rooney, or Frank Lampard either, does that mean they were rubbish? I'm not claiming Traore is that good but whether or not other clubs try to buy a player doesn't dictate a players value to a team. Unless a player is clearly a lot better than the other players around him they don't usually get many offers. Were talking about a 4th choice attacker. He is easily good enough for that role.

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I don't recall lots of bids for Wayne Rooney, or Frank Lampard either, does that mean they were rubbish? I'm not claiming Traore is that good but whether or not other clubs try to buy a player doesn't dictate a players value to a team. Unless a player is clearly a lot better than the other players around him they don't usually get many offers. Were talking about a 4th choice attacker. He is easily good enough for that role.

I don’t even think he’ll be 4th choice. They’ll play Buendia and Coutinho as 10’s, then Carney if he’s still here. Failing that, they’ll push Ramsey or McGinn higher up and even then they’ll probably play 2 up top. 

He has no future here. We overpaid for him and now we’re paying the price. 

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He has no future here. We overpaid for him and now we’re paying the price. 

It’s less that, and more that we purchased players to play a particular system (Traore, Bailey, Trezeguet etc) and now we don’t play that system anymore.

Obviously the quality of players involved differs, but the end result is the same. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s less that, and more that we purchased players to play a particular system (Traore, Bailey, Trezeguet etc) and now we don’t play that system anymore.

Obviously the quality of players involved differs, but the end result is the same. 

Nah it’s down to ability which is why you’ll find Bailey will feature next season. The other two just aren’t good enough. 

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

How is £17 million overpaying for Traore? 7 goals and 7 assists in the league in his first season. And not just his numbers, he oozes class on the ball.

He’s got a loads of talent and definitely good enough for this league. Just not for a team that has aspirations to at least finish top half.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s got a loads of talent and definitely good enough for this league. Just not for a team that has aspirations to push in to top 6.

Maybe if we actually crack the top half even once we can discard players like him. "Aspirations" don't mean anything if you're finishing 14th every season.

10 hours ago, skarroki said:

Why are so many football and Aston Villa fans saying they don't think Traore is good? Did you all close your eyes when he played for us?

The lad has a special highlight reel video on the Ajax YouTube channel, he was only on loan there! They don't make them for every player.

He was a big reason why Grealish could reach the levels he did, teams couldn't leave him and double up on Grealish. 

Because he's inconsistent and does spend large parts of the game being ineffective, which gets forgotten about because he ends up pulling something magical once every couple of matches. 

I do think he's alright and has the quality to start for most midtable PL teams, but after seeing him struggle with injuries the entire season, I'm not too fussed with seeing him leave either. If Coutinho and Buendia are first starters, then Bailey is our first backup. In theory, Traore would be next in line but in reality Gerrard is more likely to sub in Ings on next and change the formation. We don't desperately need him to stay, and tbh if I was him I'd be looking to leave too for more gametime. He's good enough to not rot on our benches.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Because he's inconsistent and does spend large parts of the game being ineffective, which gets forgotten about because he ends up pulling something magical once every couple of matches. 

I do think he's alright and has the quality to start for most midtable PL teams, but after seeing him struggle with injuries the entire season, I'm not too fussed with seeing him leave either. If Coutinho and Buendia are first starters, then Bailey is our first backup. In theory, Traore would be next in line but in reality Gerrard is more likely to sub in Ings on next and change the formation. We don't desperately need him to stay, and tbh if I was him I'd be looking to leave too for more gametime. He's good enough to not rot on our benches.

I think you could say this about most wingers/attacking players. This season you could use that to describe Coutinho and Buendia. Tbh, the last two seasons you could have said that about Grealish at times too (maybe this example less so, but he was often not effective too).

It just really seems there's a different bar with Traore. I'd go as far as saying he was, after his first season, looking like a bang on great signing, more 'good value' at the price. He did then spend most of this season injured though, of course.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

How is £17 million overpaying for Traore? 7 goals and 7 assists in the league in his first season. And not just his numbers, he oozes class on the ball.

Hopefully after that PL return we should be able to sell him for £20m then?

Only we won't because he's not very good.

The club will accept a £10m bid as a massive win.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Because players are not bought on stats alone.  Why is there not a queue from other clubs to buy a player with 7 goals and 7 assists?

12 hours ago, skarroki said:

Why are so many football and Aston Villa fans saying they don't think Traore is good? Did you all close your eyes when he played for us?

The lad has a special highlight reel video on the Ajax YouTube channel, he was only on loan there! They don't make them for every player.

He was a big reason why Grealish could reach the levels he did, teams couldn't leave him and double up on Grealish. 

Great point, it's possible this aspect can help Coutinho (if Traore plays).

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

His first season wasn't inconsistent at all, stats below....

22 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If he gets fit he's a quality player, he surely deserves another season!

His first season statistics 2020/21 - Premier League - 

36 appearances, 7 goals, 6 assists, +6 Big Chances created.

• Like 1

Â