Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Just now, The_Steve said:

So he wasn’t booked, just warned. So why would he serve a one match ban? It’s a farce. 

It's not confirmed yet, hopefully will hear soon.

Refreshing to see a nations media (french) defending their team, despite their fans throwing stuff on the pitch at Martinez and throwing footballs on the pitch to disrupt Ollies penalty and the ref getting in Dougs face before his and him encroaching on the ball in Dougs run up. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour tbh yet Martinez is seen as the bad one.

Watch the penalties again, Lille were throwing every trick in the book to disrupt us.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Ha ha, just a bit of an overreaction! They surrendered on both occasions though 😂 

I’m wondering why they have “breaking news” there in English and everything else is in French 🤔 

Why not dernière nouvelle?

Edited by Jas10

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Lille fans abused him, waved imaginary cards at him when he legitimately was holding the ball. It’s embarrassing. Why do officials and pundits clutch their pearls when players dish it back? Emi just shushed and mocked them a little. That’s it. Players are humans too. Not sure why sections of the media are acting like he stuck his middle finger up or spat at anyone. 

Because many journalists are lazy, and rather than do research or look into things, they rely on tropes, narratives and reputation. 

Emi even said about the timewasting thing, that Chevalier (cracking keeper as well btw) was doing similar, and got no attention, because it was at least partially based on reputation. 

That said if anyone can find me the rule that says you can book a player for timewasting when the ball is in play, I would be all ears. How can the ref know about the yellow card peno rule (which it appears no-one else on earth did), but not that it is up to the opposition to stop the goalie hanging onto the ball when it's in play? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Refreshing to see a nations media (french) defending their team, despite their fans throwing stuff on the pitch at Martinez and throwing footballs on the pitch to disrupt Ollies penalty and the ref getting in Dougs face before his and him encroaching on the ball in Dougs run up. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour tbh yet Martinez is seen as the bad one.

Watch the penalties again, Lille were throwing every trick in the book to disrupt us.

They were running dark arts throughout both legs too, btw. That Santos threw himself to the ground at each and every opportunity.

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

One of the worst refereeing performances - he lost control on and off  the pitch. It’s embarrassing that our players are having to remove extra balls from the pitch because of their fans. The Lille goalkeeper was encroaching towards the box during our kicks and when Emi was trying to tell the ref he was having none of it! It’s one giant farce.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

They're doing their job. Angry Frenchmen will be waking up this morning gnashing their teeth and wanting be outraged by Emi's behaviour. The French newspapers are just giving those fans what they want to read.

Don't hate the players, hate the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

They were running dark arts throughout both legs too, btw. That Santos threw himself to the ground at each and every opportunity.

48 hours before kick off, Fonsenca was trying to influence the ref by telling the media that we foul too much and use dark arts. Silence from the media though about this sort of behaviour.

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Looks a cracking young player tbf, could be a good signing for us… more tears for Lille 😆

Just now, Okonokos said:

Obviously the penalty booking was a complete farce because he was clearly asking for a ball but the booking in normal time was a complete disgrace by a weak referee. He clearly got confused with all the time the ball was spent in play at Martinez' feet and must have thought it was a set piece every time. You even saw him do the "one, two, three" motion. When exactly did he waste time from three set pieces? Absolute dickhead referee who just wanted to make the whole evening about himself.

He bowed to the pressure from the home fans… pathetic.

One of the worst displays from a referee I have ever seen but… I have to admit, I was hugely relieved when he ensured Cash’s goal stood… Lille players were surrounding and pressuring him on more than one occasion.

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Because many journalists are lazy, and rather than do research or look into things, they rely on tropes, narratives and reputation. 

Emi even said about the timewasting thing, that Chevalier (cracking keeper as well btw) was doing similar, and got no attention, because it was at least partially based on reputation. 

That said if anyone can find me the rule that says you can book a player for timewasting when the ball is in play, I would be all ears. How can the ref know about the yellow card peno rule (which it appears no-one else on earth did), but not that it is up to the opposition to stop the goalie hanging onto the ball when it's in play? 

Really impressed by Chevalier. Hope they can keep hold of him, made several crucial saves in both legs. But I do agree, he was milking the time wasting but the ref was totally dazzled by the home crowd to notice. 

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Looks a cracking young player tbf, could be a good signing for us… more tears for Lille 😆

Don't think he'd be suited to the prem tbh. Spent more time moaning on the ground than getting up and tracking back after runners when he lost the ball. 

All the skill, but I'd hate him in a Villa shirt. Plus Ben Mee would break his legs. 

• Haha 1

Â