Emiliano Martínez

hippo

5 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

This guy is the best keeper in the world right now, no question of that now and a world cup winner. 

Based purely on that he has to be our best goalie of all time. Could have easily left in the summer but chose to stick with us, unlike some other players we've had in recent years. Genuinely loves us too. I'm certain he will win something with us, sooner rather than later and drive us on to bigger and better things. 

I think he will probably be seen as our best ever eventually, but winning a major trophy will be an essential component of that.  Rimmer, in an age when English keepers were indisputably the best in the world, was absolutely magnificent for us and helped us win it all.  It was only Shilton and Clemence that kept him out of the England team.  The narrative around the European Cup final and Nigel getting all the attention forgets the fact that Jimmy Rimmer was absolutely magnificent throughout that season and the season before when we won the league, including the double-penalty-save away in the earlier rounds that got us to the final.... 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mykeyb said:

It doesn't make the BBC Sport Football page as a headline........if only he played for a big 6 club

Oh he does

Yet we get an article about how Vicario is the complete goalkeeper, yet can't get a game for Italy. BBC are a shower of shit.

48 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Yet we get an article about how Vicario is the complete goalkeeper, yet can't get a game for Italy. BBC are a shower of shit.

In many more ways than one....They should stick to making great programmes like the Blue Planet and Planet Earth.

David Attenborough should be the highest paid man on TV...not some Walkers crisp salesman.

However Vicario is a good keeper....but I wouldn't swap Emi for anyone.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think he's the type of player to have this weighing on his mind, but it seems he'll never get the respect he deserves because he plays for us.

Some proper weird takes in that comment section, ranging from him supposedly never being that good to begin with, to he didn't have a good WC (tell that to France), to it was "World Cup Tax" (ah he just came in clutch to win the biggest competition in the world for his country, no big deal???)

I think one of the (many) big problems with football social media is that there is a significant amount of people who clearly don't even watch the players they're saying are good/crap, but choose to instead piggyback on some sort of collective opinion, no matter how blatantly detached from reality it is. Mings is a great example. You had quite a lot of noise, particularly from those who clearly have never watched him play, making him out to be the worst footballer ever to grace the planet: even as he was the integral part of one of the best defences in the league since Emery came in. But it was almost like the widespread concensus had already been enshrined and spiralled into the extremes (another thing social media has a terrible habit of doing when evaluating literally anything).

Exact same thing is now happening to Martinez: people who have blatantly never watched him play for Villa are so confidently offering their garbage, unsubstantiated, presumably piggybacked opinions. I really don't really get it, it's bizarre behaviour.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Pathetic take. I feel dumber for reading that tbh. Wtf is he even trying to say by "I think awards are supposed to showcase a moment in time"? 

No they're not? They're to, uh, award somebody for excellence? If it doesn't align with your twisted perspective, tough. Honestly, some people aren't worth the **** cells they're comprised of.

It's even dumber because he's arguing against himself. This particular trophy absolutely "showcases a moment in time" because it's largely rewarding that save, and that World Cup performance and win. 20 years from now you'll look back and know exactly why Emi Martinez won that trophy in 2023. So it's doing everything he says a trophy should do lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, est1874 said:

Pathetic take. I feel dumber for reading that tbh. Wtf is he even trying to say by "I think awards are supposed to showcase a moment in time"? 

No they're not? They're to, uh, award somebody for excellence? If it doesn't align with your twisted perspective, tough. Honestly, some people aren't worth the **** cells they're comprised of.

He's American, that's usually enough to ignore any other point they make. Especially when it's come from Twitter. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's even dumber because he's arguing against himself. This particular trophy absolutely "showcases a moment in time" because it's largely rewarding that save, and that World Cup performance and win. 20 years from now you'll look back and know exactly why Emi Martinez won that trophy in 2023. So it's doing everything he says a trophy should do lol

It's not just rewarding that save, world cup. Look at the change in the Argentinian team's fortunes since he became their regular goalkeeper. I mean, he's literally won every single thing in international football you could as a player in the space of 12-18 months. That is staggering. And it's not like he's done it in a Scott Carson/Kalvin Philips way. He's literally single handedly won them 2 major tournaments. That takes a top world class keeping, and more importantly, mentality.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Some proper weird takes in that comment section, ranging from him supposedly never being that good to begin with, to he didn't have a good WC (tell that to France), to it was "World Cup Tax" (ah he just came in clutch to win the biggest competition in the world for his country, no big deal???)

I think one of the (many) big problems with football social media is that there is a significant amount of people who clearly don't even watch the players they're saying are good/crap, but choose to instead piggyback on some sort of collective opinion, no matter how blatantly detached from reality it is. Mings is a great example. You had quite a lot of noise, particularly from those who clearly have never watched him play, making him out to be the worst footballer ever to grace the planet: even as he was the integral part of one of the best defences in the league since Emery came in. But it was almost like the widespread concensus had already been enshrined and spiralled into the extremes (another thing social media has a terrible habit of doing when evaluating literally anything).

Exact same thing is now happening to Martinez: people who have blatantly never watched him play for Villa are so confidently offering their garbage, unsubstantiated, presumably piggybacked opinions. I really don't really get it, it's bizarre behaviour.

Some idiot went on a rant that he conceded 75 goals last season😂

• Confused 1

I can see both sides of it both but Emi deserves his trophy. Whilst he's probably not the best keeper in the premier league over the long-term (he's hovering somewhere around 3rd after Alison and Edison in my opinion), he has had the best 12 months in any goalkeeper in world football so why shouldn't it be him? It's impossible to accurately compare the attributes of players anyway, so the trophies they win and contribute to winning over the 12 months period should be considered. Emi won the biggest prize in football and was instrumental to Argentina along the way including the save of the ****ing decade in the final. The guy has also pushed the boundaries of goalkeeping over the last few years with his penalty craft and saves (...yes really, they had to change the rules because he was so successful), so this should be considered.  The guy could easily play for any club side in the world. Congrats Emi! 

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This. 

What a moron. 

That whole thread is just dumb. Everyone's take boils down to "he plays for Aston Villa" without explicitly saying that. I've realised that the majority of football fans don't really watch football outside of their own (Sky 6) clubs. 

Which I guess fair enough, he doesn't play for a big club and in the CL etc which everyone knows is the true measure of a player's quality! But this reasoning falls flat because he does also play for a little country called Argentina, where he played an absolutely vital role in winning this obscure trophy called the World Cup. Call me crazy but I think that's worth more than Alison getting bopped out of the RO16 in the CL and finishing 2 places above Martinez's Villa.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That whole thread is just dumb. Everyone's take boils down to "he plays for Aston Villa" without explicitly saying that. I've realised that the majority of football fans don't really watch football outside of their own (Sky 6) clubs. 

Which I guess fair enough, he doesn't play for a big club and in the CL etc which everyone knows is the true measure of a player's quality! But this reasoning falls flat because he does also play for a little country called Argentina, where he played an absolutely vital role in winning this obscure trophy called the World Cup. Call me crazy but I think that's worth more than Alison getting bopped out of the RO16 in the CL and finishing 2 places above Martinez's Villa.

I thought you said you would stop engaging with morons on twitter a while ago ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I thought you said you would stop engaging with morons on twitter a while ago ;)

Unfortunately it's not relegated to Twitter. Same sentiment on various podcasts too. Football fans are just programmed to think CL and Sky 6 = good, and everyone else can't be good otherwise they'd be there.

• Like 1

Â