Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

If it was being replaced by something nice, it wouldn't be too bad. They'll just replace it with poorly built apartments that look shit. Even on the artists impression, they look bland. 

On 21/02/2021 at 15:15, sidcow said:

we're in Shirley now and like it a whole lot better. 

kenneth-williams-leespoons.gif

• Haha 2

Opheem has been awarded a second Michelin star.  Only 22 restaurants in the UK have 2 and I doubt many outside of London. He's great for the city is Akhtar. 

• Like 2

Someone will come along soon and say he's actually from Manchester, or Liverpool.

Or that they've got a modern Indian restaurant with 3 Michelin stars and gold sharks with lasers and tables that nosh you off.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Opheem has been awarded a second Michelin star.  Only 22 restaurants in the UK have 2 and I doubt many outside of London. He's great for the city is Akhtar. 

I love Opheem, the food is amazing, but I think you should be disqualified from being awarded a Michelin star when your only beer is Cobra and it is sneakily served in half pints for the price of a full pint.

8 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

sneakily served in half pints for the price of a full pint.

Surely this is a pre requisite of any posh restaurant? 

Edited by sidcow

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

So that’s how they obtain their eating irons

VT waiting for a spelling mistake 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Approval given for the council to increase tax to up to 10%.

Expected since the council needs to raise a **** ton fast, but not great to see finally confirmed.

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

9 outside London apparently.

Like the majority of owners of Indian restaurants in the UK, Aktar is actually Bangladeshi (well Bangladeshi descent).

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

Fantastic eating experience, I can see why it’s got the 2 stars. 3rd MS restaurant I’ve been to and by the best, only one I would return to. 

On 02/02/2024 at 14:22, sidcow said:

Why should a shit load of 60s brutalism architecture remain? 

Like all styles the best will survive and the shit Ill thought out will go. 

We'll keep the likes of Tricorn House, Alpha Tower, some of the stuff down Hagley Road but eventually it will reduce like all other periods and styles till the best are all that remain and are preserved. 

The problem with The Ringway is it just created a wall that sliced the city in half.  Same as The Library, when it's gone the city will just function much better.

And yes a lot of buildings going up now will eventually be demolished in the future. As is the way of the world.

Agreed.

The modernisation of the city center over the past couple of decades has been excellent. It's changed it from a drab, grey, ugly city to somethign far more modern, attractive and dare I say exciting.

You'll always get boomers claiming things like the old new street station looked better than the new one, but in general I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of people aren't happy with the rejuvenation going on

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

old new street station looked better than the new one

Which old New Street Station?

Imagine having this building still standing instead of sticking a mirror on the outside of a 60's multistory car park. If that was still standing Birmingham would now have a historical landmark hotel right at its heart. We have one in Liverpool which went through various phases after the hotel shut (for decades) was then re-fitted as a student halls of residence for about a decade, now its come full circle and is now a landmark Radisson Hotel again. Most mainline stations had massive hotels like that. That's the one that should never have been knocked down

That building on the right of the photo is still standing too

When you hear people say the old New Street Station was better.... just so you know, it's this one they are talking about not the shopping centre one with the ramp. The 60s shopping centre one was always shit

Victorian_New_Street_Station.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

When you hear people say the old New Street Station was better.... just so you know, it's this one they are talking about not the shopping centre one with the ramp. 

No it's not. It's specifically the shopping centre one with the ramp.

I agree the old old one was fantastic from the pictures.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No it's not. It's specifically the shopping centre one with the ramp.

Those people would be idiots, that was horrible from the moment it opened, even in the 70s when I'd go in there to Beatties the toy/model/subbutteo shop it was a dump, it had two decent shops of any note (the other being Habitat) all the rest sold shite even back then and it was nowhere near as "upmarket" (for what of a better term) as it is now. Also the general flow of people was  in or out of the station and not to actually use the shopping centre, that lead to a lot of congestion on the ramp which was both a pain and a barrier to people using it for anything other than the station. It was a design that clearly didn't understand how people would flow, dreadful design.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Those people would be idiots, that was horrible from the moment it opened, even in the 70s when I'd go in there to Beatties the toy/model/subbutteo shop it was a dump, it had two decent shops of any note (the other being Habitat) all the rest sold shite even back then and it was nowhere near as "upmarket" (for what of a better term) as it is now. Also the general flow of people was  in or out of the station and not to actually use the shopping centre, that lead to a lot of congestion on the ramp which was both a pain and a barrier to people using it for anything other than the station

I agree, but I think certain people let nostalgia cloud their views of stuff like architecture. They grew up with the crappy dump so in their minds it's way better than the new one

• 2 weeks later...

Birmingham City Council has confirmed it will raise council tax by 21% over the next two years as part of £300m budget savings.

Street lights are to be dimmed, waste collections are to become fortnightly, while burial costs will increase. Up to 600 job losses are still likely, the local authority said.

The authority has been revealing details of cuts it must make after declaring itself effectively bankrupt last year. In a briefing on Monday, the council released details of how it intended to cut £150m from its budget in 2024-25 and the same amount in 2025-26.

Fortnightly waste collections are set to be introduced in 2025-26, but other savings are expected to come in almost immediately. Dimming streetlights is expected to save almost £1m a year, while cutting spending on highways maintenance could save up to £12m, depending on the outcome of a Private Finance Initiative (PFI) - a partnership with the private sector. Adult social care will be cut by £23.7m in the next financial year, while the Children's Young People and Families department will be forced to find £51.5m savings. The council hopes renegotiating children's travel contracts could also save £13m a year.

In January, the council asked ministers for permission to raise council tax by 10% in each of the next two years.

No more children's services, adult services, waste collection, road maintenance or lighting then. Disastrous.

Edited by wishywashy

Â