The AVFC FFP thread

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Come on  nobody cared about Ross.

The premier league is also similar in that all the cast live in clearly a unsustainable place given their income levels, but this is never clearly explained.

I just assumed Ross was Spurs 😂

Edit: damn page break, beaten to it

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

It's actually a bit silly because FFP was actually starting to work. There have been many instances this season where the top teams have been beaten by the lesser ones because the gap isn't as ridiculous as it could be. You scrap FFP and it just plays into the hands of the team with rich owners - while that might be good for us, it's not good for the league or the game in general. There have to be safeguards in place to keep the league competitive an relatively open. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's actually a bit silly because FFP was actually starting to work. There have been many instances this season where the top teams have been beaten by the lesser ones because the gap isn't as ridiculous as it could be. You scrap FFP and it just plays into the hands of the team with rich owners - while that might be good for us, it's not good for the league or the game in general. There have to be safeguards in place to keep the league competitive an relatively open. 

Think this is mainly down to a lack of rest, fatigue and injuries among the top players. Players are physically and mentally exhausted.

Granted only Wolves, Man U and Man C were left of the English teams when the European cup finally finished in mid August but it's the same whenever I watch a game from any other league. The players are not as sharp.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we end up with something that's designed to reduce spending rather than allow it to increase.

This is the nearest I can find to anyone discussing a hint of what might be coming:

https://www.football.london/premier-league/chelsea-arsenal-tottenham-uefa-ffp-20244291

The redesigned system is to be a "transition from the idea of 'spending as much as you collect' to 'spending what is necessary without waste,'” according to Italian journalist Fabio Licari in Gazzetta dello Sport.

The new regulations could also see an "introduction of a salary cap, to be disguised as a luxury tax to ensure compliance with European regulations."

This would mean there would be a total limit that clubs could spend on wages throughout the playing squad, how the budget for each club is figured out has yet to be announced.

So a club by club salary cap worked out in some way as to make sure that Real and Barca can reduce their wage bills but still remain at the top of the tree.

This bit is also interesting:

This punishment would no longer be so prevalent under the proposed regulations with sporting sanctions expected to be reduced in favor of greater economic sanctions for the clubs which break the parameters.

Which sounds like UEFA 'Man City/PSG tax' to me. You can break the rules if you like, just fill the boot of our car with cash.

• Like 1

Tighter not looser. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/25/football-financial-fair-play-rules-to-be-ripped-up-after-covid-crisis

Speaking on Thursday at a meeting between Uefa and European Union officials, Andrea Traverso, Uefa’s director of research and financial stability, said a solution was “not easy” and there should not be an assumption that new rules would be more relaxed.

“Covid 19 has generated a revenue crisis and had a big impact on the liquidity of clubs,” he said. “This is a crisis which is very different from anything we have had to tackle before. In such a situation obviously clubs are struggling; they have difficulties in complying with their obligations.

Let's be clear, the clubs he's talking about aren't Luton and Wrexham, he's talking about the clubs he cares about, Barca, Real, Milan.

“So maybe the rules should have a stronger focus on the present and the future and should definitely have stronger focus on the challenges of high levels of wages and the transfer market. The solution of this is not easy.”

Uefa has begun consultation on how to reform FFP, with Traverso saying he expected an “expedited but careful” process to be completed by the end of the year. “Those that are saying that the rules will be abandoned or relaxed are just speculating,” Traverso said. “Rules can be different, sure, but this does not necessarily mean that the rules will be less stringent. On the contrary, when severe situations occur often those necessitate stronger measures.”

Traverso’s remarks follow statements by the president of the European Club Association, Andrea Agnelli of Juventus, in which he said clubs should have the ability to adjust player contracts in the event of a financial crisis such as Covid and called for regulations to look not at profit and loss but to focus “on the balance sheet and having those criteria met medium and long term”.

Better for Madrid, worse for Villa, for Everton, for anyone who hasn't already got a seat at the table.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Agnelli and infantino are 2 huge dangers on the game. They make Sepp Blatter look like Mary Poppins

I heard him being described by someone as a useful idiot. They know he's liable to shoot his mouth off so the likes of Rummenige and Perez and so on use him to put these outlandish ideas out in to the public domain. Everyone gets all up in arms about it. What is then agreed in the end is then not as extreme as the initial suggestion. The big clubs then get what they wanted all along with everybody else thinking "phew, at least they didn't get what they really wanted". It's not the idiots spouting all manners of shit that you need to be worried about, it's the ones in the background but who still have substantial power who stay quiet on the matter.

On a side note wasn't it wonderful that Agnelli came out with his proposals and within 48 hours his club had been knocked out of the champions league against a team which in his opinion more or less don't deserve to be in the competition.

On 27/03/2021 at 09:51, lexicon said:

I dont think that is due to ffp though. I think covid + no fans has had a impact.

I dont know why but i have a feeling we would not have won 7-2 if fans were in the ground. Its thrown some bizarre results thats for sure

• 2 weeks later...

FFP is a failed experiment. It has caused only misery to clubs of all sizes and has given zero benefit. Time to throw it in the bin where it belongs and get back to investing in football. FFP was a wrong headed fantasy invented by bureaucrats who don't understand the real business world. I am glad its dying. I applaud Man City for helping destroy it and Villa for always having rightly opposed it.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

I sense some incoming astronomical losses. £100mil+ territory. 

Interestingly on companies house, under a fairly standard update to article of association, you can see the vehicles which Wes and Nassef own the club through.
Nassef through his Luxembourg based company, Nns Uk Gp Sàrl. And Wes through his Delaware based company, Aston Villa Investors GP LLC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

FFP is a failed experiment. It has caused only misery to clubs of all sizes and has given zero benefit. Time to throw it in the bin where it belongs and get back to investing in football. FFP was a wrong headed fantasy invented by bureaucrats who don't understand the real business world. I am glad its dying. I applaud Man City for helping destroy it and Villa for always having rightly opposed it.

It's not dying, it's changing. The people in charge of making that happen have already suggested it's likely to become more, not less restrictive.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's not dying, it's changing. The people in charge of making that happen have already suggested it's likely to become more, not less restrictive.

gotta keep those pigs at the top table! (trough)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That is not how I read it. But we shall see. I am hopeful, particularly the way top clubs are now openly laughing at it and the catastrophe that has happened in football finances (particularly in France). 

Fingers crossed it will continue to fail and die!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Would say we have been a renegade leader in all of this FFP lark. So many a time those who owned leagues or in charge of them have tried to have us done for finding back doors through this crap system. 

Even though it's quiet I've always felt that there are still goings on from us sneaking around all mischievous through the loopholes of FFP.

Crap system, needs to be scrapped for clubs that do not need barriers because they can spend. For clubs who can't some protective system has to be set in place to actually aid them and not help destroy the club's.

How many clubs have gone since FFP came in?? There's been some. Yet how many before it came in which were zero..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've not read that it's getting more restrictive and I doubt it would.

Those in charge have to bring back spending, if only a five or six clubs each league in the top of nations leagues spend, it's no spending at all really. It's no where near as much spending going on if they just allowed those who can spend to spend what they like.

The system is so flawed it'd not make any sense to make it even more flawed. The only thing it helps is the top clubs who were at the top before the system came in who had splashed the cash on world class players to be at the top. It just keep everyone under unable to compete and unable to spend and I do not think the top five in the premier have that much power to stop FFP being scrapped. There maybe even one or two of the top five clubs who themselves oppose FFP, for all we know all of them could be strongly against the system.

I just wished we'd get a final decision on it quickly rather than bloody years. It's not rocket science to sort out a system for the clubs who need a protective system and to just allow clubs to spend again if they are able to. It will take them years to sort it which I do struggle to see why it takes so long.

Edited by Dave-R

Â