The AVFC FFP thread

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Spending over £50 million on Diaby is looking like it could be really painful

The figure is no where close to that. Likely €40m or just under. Add-ons will push it up. We didn't spend £50m upfront 

• Like 1

The profit and sustainability rules mean all clubs are sell to buy.Some just have higher bar and are able to operate at a higher level.

Even without the rules you would suggest that most clubs would still be sell to buy as it’s always been.

We sold Jack and others to get where we are now.

Just like the sale of  Andy Gray funded the purchase of Peter Withe..

Sell to buy is a common sense way to run a football club but in this crazy age of state ownership it has to be enforced.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Given that Heck recently called for heavier punishments for those in breach of FFP, I remain confident we aren’t in trouble. The reality is however until we get higher up the table more often, we will have to sell players to bring in others and clear our overpaid and underused deadwood. 

This is one area we always seem to struggle. Just years of mismanagement, overpaying for players either in wages and/or cost. Paying high wages to entice players to come. Something FFP is coming to bite us on the ass with i think?

FFP was always designed to make the top 6 a closed shop personally, any team that has an aspirations of making the top 6 have to sell their top talent while trying to compete with the sky scum 6 for a place in the promised lands. Yet the scum 6 can continually pump 150M a season into their squad. They have huge revenue from sponsorship, get big fees from their 'crap' players etc

Look at Newcastle, for all that money they cant spent, they have to sell. 

As for us we face the prospect of selling Ramsey & Doug in the summer to make additions to the squad and keep in line of FFP. 

• Like 2

If we use Duran as an example, am I correct in my thinking that if we bought him for 15m on a 5 year deal then that's amortized to 3m per year on the books (plus wages obv). If we sell now for 15m we pocket it all for this year's finances - 12m (minus wages paid to date)?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bosnichs Muller corner said:

If we use Duran as an example, am I correct in my thinking that if we bought him for 15m on a 5 year deal then that's amortized to 3m per year on the books (plus wages obv). If we sell now for 15m we pocket it all for this year's finances - 12m (minus wages paid to date)?

Not quite.

If he has had one year of £3m being written off against a purchase price of £15m he still has a book value of £12m, which needs to be offset against the sale price. So it only gives a 'profit' of what has already been written off, in this case £3m.

• Thanks 1

While I agree that the FFP has ended up helping the Sky 6 in a way - it's also a way to prevent the MON/Lerner and Xia era of ownership - vacuuming up terrible contracts trying to make it big and then leaving the club out to dry when it all goes belly up and they run back off to America or China. Any club outside of the Sky 6 will have to punch up and perform above expectations in order to crack the glass ceiling but wasn't that always the case until state-fueled ownership came along? That we are forced to plan long term is a hindrance, but what is the alternative? Continually raise the wages of Luiz/JJ/Kamara/Watkins/Konsa and acquiring more Diaby's and Pau's but also don't raise our ticket prices or do anything to sell us out to corporate sponsorships or the Terrace View?

As we have found out from both Lerner and Xia, the money spigot is turned off unless you're owned by a state. Even NWSE are not going to continue pouring resource after resource with a negative return. And even if they did, they won't do it forever and who holds the bag after it's done? The club and the fans.

It’s a bit depressing, we’ve sold 30-45 million worth of youth this season, and spent roughly ?80 million on new signings. Emerys hardly spent big in two transfer windows now. And that’s with us finishing 7th last year. Newcastle I understand being tight Howes spent 400 odd million since he’s arrived with very few sales in that time. Difficult to become a top 6 team unless you sell one of the best players in your team, likely to a team above you who’ll spent double what you spend per window because they’re a top 6 team. 

9 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Considering we have heard a lot about how close we are to PSR budget, we’ve spent a decent amount in January 

i guess we spent a reasonable amount, what was it, 17m ish up front? (Rogers - 8m up front, Nedeljkociv 7.5m up front, Gauci - 1.5m up front, Sousa - who knows?)

but we also got nearly 170k p/w off the wage books with Donk & Traore leaving, which is just over 4m in wages, factoring in the next 6 months, so that will help.

Our broadcast revenue jumped from £123.2m to £148.3m from ending 7th over 14th. Hopefully we see the rise on matchday revenue and commercial. We should be around the £215m mark for 22/23 in terms if income up from £178m

Digne will be off to Saudi land as soon as the summer transfer window opens you suspect. I think that was the plan last season but of course Moreno didn't really get fit until December so was far too risky. Similar fee to Ings and a huge amount of wages off our books.

However signing the young Arsenal LB shows what we want to do in that area next season and Chishene could do well at Blackburn so we'd have a few options to cover Moreno.

So Matty Cash has been here for a while now I think we paid about £16 mil for him? Suppose we sold him for the same amount as we paid would that have a decent impact for us FFP wise?

2 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

So Matty Cash has been here for a while now I think we paid about £16 mil for him? Suppose we sold him for the same amount as we paid would that have a decent impact for us FFP wise?

Don't think we would get 16m for him. How long left on his contract? Was it a 5 year in 2020? So will be entering the final year next season? So no chance we are getting 16M. 

8 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Don't think we would get 16m for him. How long left on his contract? Was it a 5 year in 2020? So will be entering the final year next season? So no chance we are getting 16M. 

He signed a new contract in June 2022 which runs out in 2027.

36 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

He signed a new contract in June 2022 which runs out in 2027.

Still don't think we will get 16m for him, he is OK for a lower prem side. He ain't getting in a top 10 side. Someone offered 10m I would snap their hands off. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Still don't think we will get 16m for him, he is OK for a lower prem side. He ain't getting in a top 10 side. Someone offered 10m I would snap their hands off. 

tbh, he's a good mid table right back i think, he is prob worth 25m, maybe 30m if a team really wants him.

• Haha 1

Â