Matty Cash

paul514

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I think he'll be our starting RB next season not seen any indications that won't be the case and we have cover already in the squad, certainly not a priority unless he is sold.

I don't. This role isn't for him - he needs to be a wing back. I think an upgrade is a big priority, otherwise he'll stick out as the weak link. 

54 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't. This role isn't for him - he needs to be a wing back. I think an upgrade is a big priority, otherwise he'll stick out as the weak link. 

No way it's a big priority? Just don't see it, no real links or even speculation. If Unai was looking to tighten things up defensively we'd be seeing experimenation in that position and we're simply not. 

14 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

No way it's a big priority? Just don't see it, no real links or even speculation. If Unai was looking to tighten things up defensively we'd be seeing experimenation in that position and we're simply not. 

I think it is tbh. We need to find the right guy to fill the role or we'll concede more than we did last season through his lapses in concentration and composure - be it not holding the line properly or being forced into error when he's under pressure. 

Cash is a good wing-back but this role requires a very specific skillset and it's definitely not playing to his strengths. 

I think if there was an option for either a RB or a striker to come in i would prioritised a new RB.

I have always questioned his defensive position....too deep and too tucked in.

Can see he is not a natural RB even though he has been playing there a couple of seasons now.

The second goal last night...though I blame Martinez for throwing it at him at 100 mph when there is one minute to go till the half...better game management...anyway...he did have time to open out and play it down the line but ultimately came inside and lost it...they scored.

Squad player...which is more surprising the let young go

Thing about Matty, is he seems to be a hard worker and wanting to learn.

Whether his ability catches up is another thing, but in no rush to get rid.

It's not so long ago he was being linked with Atletico and on an incredible run of form.

He's got the base attributes to be a real player though.

On 24/07/2023 at 12:13, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Thing about Matty, is he seems to be a hard worker and wanting to learn.

Whether his ability catches up is another thing, but in no rush to get rid.

It's not so long ago he was being linked with Atletico and on an incredible run of form.

He's got the base attributes to be a real player though.

No doubt. He's a great athlete with a very good attitude. The issue with me, as I think I mentioned before, is the mental side of the game, especially when it comes to defending - concentration, composure, decision-making etc. He's really got to work on them. 

I really cant get the Matty Cash bashing by the fans? As I see it he is a perfectly fine RB for us where we are, pretty quick, has got a good tackle in him, good stamina, quality finisher when given the chance.

To get a better quality RB probably costs alot of money, I think were better of spending it elsewhere.

That said I'm all for signing that young spanish RB for a low cost as a understudy/rotation with Cash. 

• Like 3

tbh I was one of the fans that thought his time was up under emery.  I don't think he holds he line well enough and isn't a strong enough defender.  however after yesterday's game and the experiment to switch pau out to left full back with cash the attacking wing back I admit to being wrong.  he did really well in that attacking wing back role.  not quite as good as moreno but much better than digne.   I think moreno and cash will be our wing back options.  they won't both play at same time but between them we have flexibility and cover.  

• Like 2

Watkins and McGinn had a bad run under SG and people around here (including me, I admit it) lost faith in them. We were proven wrong.

Cash was player of the year two seasons ago, but had a quiet second half last year because of WC fatigue and injuries, and people have lost faith in him. They will be proven wrong.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TomC said:

Watkins and McGinn had a bad run under SG and people around here (including me, I admit it) lost faith in them. We were proven wrong.

Cash was player of the year two seasons ago, but had a quiet second half last year because of WC fatigue and injuries, and people have lost faith in him. They will be proven wrong.

I don't think it's the same tbh. This is a question of role suitability rather than a dip in form due to incompetent management.

Cash may step it up but he's a wing back, not a defensively minded full back. He's not a bad player either, just not the skillset we need right now. 

8 hours ago, Knutserov13 said:

I really cant get the Matty Cash bashing by the fans? As I see it he is a perfectly fine RB for us where we are, pretty quick, has got a good tackle in him, good stamina, quality finisher when given the chance.

To get a better quality RB probably costs alot of money, I think were better of spending it elsewhere.

That said I'm all for signing that young spanish RB for a low cost as an understudy/rotation with Cash. 

It’s because he got injured and then struggled to get fit and back in the team. Also was used further forward and it wasn’t his game.   Cash is fine.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I don't think it's the same tbh. This is a question of role suitability rather than a dip in form due to incompetent management.

Cash may step it up but he's a wing back, not a defensively minded full back. He's not a bad player either, just not the skillset we need right now. 

Ashley Young spent most his career as an attacking player or wing back yet played that role for us and played it well.  Im sure Cash can adapt

Â