Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

40 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Service or not he was pretty terrible. Played in 2nd gear and never imposed himself on anyone.

Good. Save his legs for the run in

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If Toney plays well on Tuesday he's on the plane and Watkins is staying home. 

Belgium are another half decent side so I can't envisage our performance against them being much/any better.

Not a great night but the service was terrible. He had one good chance from the Gallagher pass but it fell to him awkwardly and was always going to be difficult to score. I was disappointed he didn't cause more problems for a defence that had 4 debutants in it though.

I thought he did ok but again didn't impose himself on the game. Ollie seems to me, he's great if everything is going to plan, but if it isn't he looks lost, anonymous and a little unsure of himself. Toney will probably get a chance on Tuesday. Watkins is miles better than Toney and should absolutely go to the Euros over him but Southgate being Southgate he will hold tonight against him so we just have to hope Toney f*cks up too if he starts the game on Tuesday. 

What I will say is, although Watkins wasn't great, the 'world class' Phil Foden was nowhere to be seen tonight, Gallagher was awful, Chiwell was awful, and then as I've said so many times before Dunk just isn't cut out for England and it was his mistake that led to the goal. The only players who looked any good were Gordon (decent debut) and of course Bellingham. Rice was ok, Stones was ok, but basically most of that England team was average or shite tonight. That's not on Ollie, that's on the other players failing to create anything for him and Cock Nose's shite tactics. 

• Like 3

Scanned over the various player ratings in the rags, it's 5s and 6s

Guardian said England are disconnected without kane

Daily mail said he's just not the same player for England as he is for villa

Neither mentioned the fault of that being big nose... 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah that simply because England play a different style of football to Villa. At Villa, Watkins is fantastic, because we actually try to get the ball to him quickly. England hold the ball in the final third, playing it from one side to the other, until one of them loses it. It's absolutely dismal style of football, Boregate is a word removed 🤪😫🤪

• Like 1

Looked crowded out/isolated for the most part for me, more so as the game went on. The others seemed reluctant to pass to him and Watkins isn't really assertive enough to be like listen you punk asses I'm top English scorer in the prem pass to me. Whereas Toney will bowl in like he Pele

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There is a reason why Kane is playing as a DMC most of the time for England. Ollie has been trained to stay up top so will never fit in this static system.

For his sake would be great he gets involved for the euros, but then again I wouldn't mind if he goes on a well deserved break in the summer

• Like 1

Until England get a new manager nothing will change, Southgate will continue with his tactic of Maguire carrying the ball out of defence, passing the ball to the half way line to Kane who turns and tries to play in one of the wide men. This works against the 3rd rate countries but comes unstuck against any half decent team. It’s a system that suits Toney better than Watkins, that’s why I expect Southgate to pick him for the Euros. You can’t expect an elite manager like Southgate to have a plan B, when plan A doesn’t work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Hope the Daily Mail journo made the same comment about Foden, doubt it though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WHY said:

Hope the Daily Mail journo made the same comment about Foden, doubt it though!

A fair few did, DM said busy but with no end product, I'd disagree and say for long spells he went completely missing 

• Like 1

Any striker needs service, Ollie got nothing last night. The fraud that is the England manger relies on moments of magic. Image if England had a decent manager who can coach and is tactical, Ollie would thrive.

Never easy for a striker when he's surrounded by plsyers he's not used to playing with. From free kicks and corners the aim was maguire. Chilwell had opportunities to put him in but no quality. Bellingham strutting his stiff but never looked for Watkins. Gallagher industrious as usual but lacks quality. Gordon just cuts inside. Very overrated by commentators. He had no service. Modt games kanes goes missing but had the knack of scoring. Think England missed Saka. Gives them width. All the talk about building a team around Foden from Neville and like no it has to be built around Bellinghsm and saka.

Edited by PaulC

49 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

After one 90, laughable 😂

I agree with them 

He's a better player for villa 

But that's because villa are a better team with a better manager 

You can say that for just about every player in that England squad, go on any forum for any team today and you'll see fans of that team criticising how Southgate uses their player

• Like 2

Not fair to judge Watkins while playing under a manager as shit as Southgate. He's been immense this season under a proper manager and that's all that matters to me.

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Never easy for a striker when he's surrounded by plsyers he's not used to playing with. From free kicks and corners the aim was maguire. Chilwell had opportunities to put him in but no quality. Bellingham strutting his stiff but never looked for Watkins. Gallagher industrious as usual but lacks quality. Gordon just cuts inside. Very overrated by commentators. He had no service. Modt games kanes goes missing but had the knack of scoring. Think England missed Saka. Gives them width. All the talk about building a team around Foden from Neville and like no it has to be built around Bellinghsm and saka.

MV5BMWU3ZmQwMTAtZGE4YS00OTc2LTlkYTUtZDRkMGVkNDQ3NmM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDY4MzkyNw@@._V1_QL75_UY281_CR149,0,190,281_.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Looked crowded out/isolated for the most part for me, more so as the game went on. The others seemed reluctant to pass to him and Watkins isn't really assertive enough to be like listen you punk asses I'm top English scorer in the prem pass to me. Whereas Toney will bowl in like he Pele

He gets the same stick from our lot when he doesn't somehow create his own goals when starved of service and suffocated.

Sky are embarrassing, does someone do the ratings who's never kicked a ball before?

"Big chance squandered on 18 minutes, but blazed over from inside the box."

Blazed over? It was blasted onto his leg from point blank range.

• Like 1

Â