Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

43 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Don't agree in the slightest, how can you say this as fact?

Its not a fact but I think he would

He's not an elite striker, hardly anyone is anymore, realistically in the PL "elite" you're talking Haaland, son and salah and 2 of those aren't out and out strikers (I know spurs are playing son there this season) maybe Jesus at Arsenal at a push - so I'd also argue that even with his new deal he's not paid like an elite player either

The market is shit, half of the sky 6 need a striker and I've said before I don't think £82m Nunez is better than him, statistically £65m isak at Newcastle doesn't score more than him, spurs moving son up top and Chelsea getting Jackson says they couldn't get a better striker this summer

Watkins biggest problem imo is the belief that we can simply go out and get better, I'm not convinced that we can

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, useless said:

The next step down from Haaland is elite, Haaland is beyond elite, if Watkins is the next step down from Haaland then it doesn't get much better than that

For me

Mbappe is elite ( All round player who is outstanding at almost everything )

Haaland a shade under that.

Ollie is probably more in line with the likes of Ivan Toney etc in the tier under that.

I love Ollie but he ain't elite imo.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For me

Mbappe is elite ( All round player who is outstanding at almost everything )

Haaland a shade under that.

Depends what you want in a striker but in a straight out choice I’d choose Haaland over Mbappe by a whisker but both are elite.  I agree Mbappe can do everything but nobody is as deadly as Haaland imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Which top 4 regular CF would you take over him? I can only think of 1 out of the Top 6. 

Son and Haaland for two. Isak as well undoubtedly. But just because Watkins works well for us (in some games), doesn't mean he'd suit certain systems of other clubs. I couldn't see him doing well for Arsenal at all. When he's at his worst though, he's beyond frustrating.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not a fact but I think he would

He's not an elite striker, hardly anyone is anymore, realistically in the PL "elite" you're talking Haaland, son and salah and 2 of those aren't out and out strikers (I know spurs are playing son there this season) maybe Jesus at Arsenal at a push - so I'd also argue that even with his new deal he's not paid like an elite player either

The market is shit, half of the sky 6 need a striker and I've said before I don't think £82m Nunez is better than him, statistically £65m isak at Newcastle doesn't score more than him, spurs moving son up top and Chelsea getting Jackson says they couldn't get a better striker this summer

Watkins biggest problem imo is the belief that we can simply go out and get better, I'm not convinced that we can

Isak is a better player than Watkins though. That's not in doubt for me. Agree with your post though, apart from him being guaranteed to get in those sides 👍

Edited by Tom13

12 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Isak is a better player than Watkins though. That's not in doubt for me. Agree with your post though, apart from him being guaranteed to get in those sides 👍

In 2017 Isak was turning down Real Madrid and Watkins was playing for Exeter City. So our boy has made up some ground in 6 years :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Son and Haaland for two. Isak as well undoubtedly. But just because Watkins works well for us (in some games), doesn't mean he'd suit certain systems of other clubs. I couldn't see him doing well for Arsenal at all. When he's at his worst though, he's beyond frustrating.

So you named 2 certainly and Isak as a maybe. That's puts Watkins at worst as #4 in the entire PL. I don't see how having the 4th best striker is something to moan about, especially when you consider how much the other 3 in your list cost in wages per week. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I think isak is better too but his wiki page doesn't make for elite striker reading

33 in 105 games in la liga

14 in 28 in the PL

Ollie had more goals than him last year (in more games)

Then you throw in Wilson as the back up and Newcastle definitely have a much better 1-2 than us

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think isak is better too but his wiki page doesn't make for elite striker reading

33 in 105 games in la liga

14 in 28 in the PL

Ollie had more goals than him last year (in more games)

Then you throw in Wilson as the back up and Newcastle definitely have a much better 1-2 than us

His goals per minute looks decent in La Liga though. I'd be convinced it's betted than Ollie in PL as his goals per minute for us is pretty damn average.

I wouldn't take any striker in the premier league over Ollie,  his work rate , goals and assists are vital to us. He even manages some defensive work. He's a managers dream and he wants to play for us, he believes in the project. UTV 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

I wouldn't take any striker in the premier league over Ollie,  his work rate , goals and assists are vital to us. He even manages some defensive work. He's a managers dream and he wants to play for us, he believes in the project. UTV 

If you were Unai Emery, and the choice was Haaland or Watkins, you'd choose Watkins?

Â