Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 hours ago, Villa Gaffa said:

Great that he has finally got this new contract sorted.

He is the leader of our forwards and Emery is a fan.

He can keep finding the back of the net now his future is sorted !

big come down from Manager😆

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm certain if Buendia was fit he'd have bagged a couple more already this season. We've not got anyone threading those balls through the middle right now. Our forwards get stifled when we can't get down the wings. 

I'm sure Unai will sort that and he'll start bagging even more regularly. 

In the last two league home games he’s had through balls from Tielemans (won a penalty) and McGinn (missed, Douglas scored the rebound). Watkins and Buendia never seemed to click, so I’m not sure I entirely agree with this view.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

In the last two league home games he’s had through balls from Tielemans (won a penalty) and McGinn (missed, Douglas scored the rebound). Watkins and Buendia never seemed to click, so I’m not sure I entirely agree with this view.

I'd say Buendia is the best 'through baller' we have, but yeah they never clicked.

20 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Well I'm not saying he gets zero through balls, nada, nothing.  But we're definitely struggling through the middle compared to last season. 

All of our difficult games so far have been characterised by a lack of central midfield creativity. 

27 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I’m not sure there was a problem with Buendia and Watkins “clicking”. Buendia was very effective at feeding through balls to Watkins and Watkins made decent runs to get on the end of them showing a decent chemistry between the two in build up play. But Watkins isn’t very effective at scoring those one on one type opportunities which Buendia creates. He’s much better dribbling in from the left or scoring from crosses. That’s in contrast to Ings for example who was a very good one on one finisher- Buendia assisted him quite a few times.

This is not to say ings is a better player than Watkins- he’s worse in most departments- but he’s a more effective one on one finisher

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I’m not sure there was a problem with Buendia and Watkins “clicking”. Buendia was very effective at feeding through balls to Watkins and Watkins made decent runs to get on the end of them showing a decent chemistry between the two in build up play. But Watkins isn’t very effective at scoring those one on one type opportunities which Buendia creates. He’s much better dribbling in from the left or scoring from crosses. That’s in contrast to Ings for example who was a very good one on one finisher- Buendia assisted him quite a few times.

This is not to say ings is a better player than Watkins- he’s worse in most departments- but he’s a more effective one on one finisher

Watkins is indeed better overall than Ings but there's no doubt whatsoever that Ings made more types of 'killer' runs that Buendia thrives on.

I just don't think he's anywhere near clinical enough. I'm sure all the other attributes he brings are very helpful for the team, but he's our main striker and has to be better at finishing chances in tight games. 

• Like 1

Just now, Don_Simon said:

I just don't think he's anywhere near clinical enough. I'm sure all the other attributes he brings are very helpful for the team, but he's our main striker and has to be better at finishing chances in tight games. 

i completely agree, he's not clinical at all.

He does have some top level attributes, but being clinical isnt one of them, and thats the difference between a good striker and an elite one.

obviously, saying such things about Watkins is illegal.

• Like 1

One of those games where he only gets a couple of sniffs, and doesn't quite do enough with them.

In a tight game like this, Duran should be given an opportunity when it's clear Watkins is having an off day with his finishing.

Also needs to be smarter with VAR gifting penalties if the striker goes down and there's any contact on him.

But one of those weeks. He'll score two from half chances next game when he shouldn't score any.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i completely agree, he's not clinical at all.

He does have some top level attributes, but being clinical isnt one of them, and thats the difference between a good striker and an elite one.

obviously, saying such things about Watkins is illegal.

I expected absolutel pelters for my post, so I appreciate this buddy! 

• Thanks 1

Â