Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Literally his stats last season lol. 15 goals 6 assists. He wasn't even playing football for the first 3 months. I expect him to smash that this season.

When you say smash, what are you thinking 30+ goal involvements? 

I think he may equal it from last year, but can’t see him smashing it. 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

When you say smash, what are you thinking 30+ goal involvements? 

I think he may equal it from last year, but can’t see him smashing it. 

He has 5 already this season not including the penos he won. He should be easily beating last seasons with more games to play

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

This line still getting peddled out? He appeared in 31 prem games last season.

Wilson can't train for two days after games. Even then they have to manage his minutes. Good player mind.

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wilson can't train for two days after games. Even then they have to manage his minutes. Good player mind.

Rather manage his training load and get him out there than Coutinho breaking down every second game.

It's a shame we didn't sign him in summer 2020. Intrigued how DS would've handled two top level CFs in the squad. Certainly would've been better for our style of play than Ings was.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Rather manage his training load and get him out there than Coutinho breaking down every second game.

It's a shame we didn't sign him in summer 2020. Intrigued how DS would've handled two top level CFs in the squad. Certainly would've been better for our style of play than Ings was.

He went to Newcastle because they offered him a mad 5 year deal on over £100k a week. They weren't quite as common as they are now IMO.

Newcastle ceasing to be in the name of Saudi sportswashing has meant the move has been a much bigger success that it would have if he'd had to play more games like he would at a football club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He'd just had a poor season at Bournemouth not scoring many as they got relegated and I remember a lot of people weren't keen. He's definitely proved that season was just a one off though. Like you say it would have been interesting to see how we'd have used him but maybe for the best we didn't sign him considering Ings didn't really work out when we tried to have 2 main strikers. Ollie clearly likes to be the main man and having a younger player like Duran as the other option now feels like a good situation to be in with him showing he can already contribute and play an important role this season. Although Ollie might have to watch out he doesn't take his place soon 😆

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's a shame we didn't sign him in summer 2020. 

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He went to Newcastle because they offered him a mad 5 year deal on over £100k a week. They weren't quite as common as they are now IMO.

As @Tomaszk said no way we could match that at the time. Very few clubs would make that deal for player his age

9 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

We use the same methods to get around blackouts here in the states. It's not something an everyday supporter is familiar with.

Are you sure? I don’t know anybody that hasn’t got it here, I think it’s fairly widespread/common here in Brum.

16 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Well, look at the table. It's the lowest xG out of all the other true number 9s.

Agreed re Steven.

Well it's higher than Mitrovic's and Jesus' (folk saying he isn't a proper 9 but that's where he plays for Arsenal). Additionally, his non-penalty xG per 90 (so even accounting for discrepancies in minutes) for last season was actually higher than Mitrovic's, Toney's, and even Harry Kane's as well and is in something like the top 20% of strikers in Europe's top five leagues. It's a metric that works in his favour if anything as he's generally only getting bettered by it by strikers from more dominant teams.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's almost like people have forgotten that strikers don't score every chance they have. I wonder if that's a consequence of the modern world - e.g. highlights football and FIFA? 

I think so.....don't get me wrong, the naysayers have some merit in their concerns.

I guess, another issue is, Man City create more chances, so missing a few is of no real consequence.

I think another issue is, there are very few Gabriel Batisituta'a waiting around the corner, for Monchi's call.

Many clubs would want Ollie and just as one example, I could see him fitting in at Brighton, a treat.

Ollie needs to just keep his head down, keep working, and focus on the positives

As churchil said......." If you are going through hell, just keep going".......That would be my advice too.

I don't think he'd fit in at Brighton at all, his first touch is way too ropey for the way they play. And spending big on establised Premier League players isn't really the way they go about business anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Risso said:

I don't think he'd fit in at Brighton at all, his first touch is way too ropey for the way they play. And spending big on establised Premier League players isn't really the way they go about business anyway.

Agree. The chance of Brighton giving a rival over £50m is 0%. Far too well run.

We won't be short of suitors, but the likes of Utd and Newcastle will hope to get him for about half of what we'll want.

West Ham might go for it at a price we'll like. He's very similar to Antonio but can play 70 games a year instead of 30.

16 minutes ago, birdman said:

Didn't see much of the second half. How did Ollie play when he came on?

I only remember him touching it once, when his delicate first touch saw the ball end up about 10 yards away.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Agree. The chance of Brighton giving a rival over £50m is 0%. Far too well run.

We won't be short of suitors, but the likes of Utd and Newcastle will hope to get him for about half of what we'll want.

West Ham might go for it at a price we'll like. He's very similar to Antonio but can play 70 games a year instead of 30.

I still think Spurs could come in for him. You'd think they'd tried to unload Richarlison next summer and someone like Johnson could just play wide for them as much through the middle.

West Ham certainly aswell as Antonio was getting linked with moves away and is well into his 30s now.

Â