Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

7 hours ago, WHY said:

Ollie is arguably our most important player in the system Emery wants to play. He’s been superb since the change of manager. Keep it up kid the goals will come. 

This can't be right. More important than Kamara? Or Luiz? Without those two, the ball goes no further than Konsa. 

9 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

This can't be right. More important than Kamara? Or Luiz? Without those two, the ball goes no further than Konsa. 

It also takes away from the fact that unlike Gerrard, that Emery doesn’t want it to be about individuals but the team working together and without one part working the game plan doesn’t work.  The team working so well restricting Spurs, with players knowing their jobs, knowing their colleagues jobs that no player is more important than another but they have a job in a system, a plan, and they have to execute it.  It’s not about relying on moments of magic but a game plan that is executed and utilising their abilities effectively.

• Like 1

Watkins was just one of many players who was out of form this season. He's rediscovering that now under Emery. Watkins needs to be judged on goals + assists as his role in the team should yield plenty of both.

A player of his physical endurance and workrate when he hits form he'll be brilliant. I bet he's a player teammates and coaches love. Never injured, never tires, constantly works hard for team. 

I expect plenty of goals to come from the Buendia, JJ, McGinn, Coutinho etc.. players who play in the 2 behind the forwards in this system. 

All that matters is the team score goals. We've had 10 goals in 5 games now under Emery against quality opposition. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Watkins was just one of many players who was out of form this season. He's rediscovering that now under Emery. Watkins needs to be judged on goals + assists as his role in the team should yield plenty of both.

A player of his physical endurance and workrate when he hits form he'll be brilliant. I bet he's a player teammates and coaches love. Never injured, never tires, constantly works hard for team. 

I expect plenty of goals to come from the Buendia, JJ, McGinn, Coutinho etc.. players who play in the 2 behind the forwards in this system. 

All that matters is the team score goals. We've had 10 goals in 5 games now under Emery against quality opposition. 

I actually don't think Watkins has really been out of form.  The problem has been that for all his hard work/hassling etc, there's been very little backup or plan to support him.  There were several games toward the end of Gerrard's reign where Ollie would hold the ball up, run at 2 or 3 defenders and have literally no-one supporting him so he'd inevitably lose the ball.  The fans then see him just losing the ball and not scoring and claim that he's "shit".

Now that we have a proper system and are getting players in and around Ollie, he looks like he's a better player.  But, for me, he's largely just doing the same things that he's been doing for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

goals should maybe expected of Dougie and Kamara  as well, i think Dougie had 3 shots against Spurs including his run forwards for the goal. Like a lot of others id love Watkins to be prolific on top of his work rate but he isnt, and if he was he'd probably be playing his football elsewhere by now.

At Premier League level he's played just under eighty-five games worth of football and scored twenty-eight and assisted eleven in that time, in terms of goals and assists combined it's not actually that bad at all. That's not to say we won't need a better forward going forward but also if we do buy another striker that doesn't have to mean that Watkins isn't very good or has to or eave anything like that, can still play a big part.

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

goals should maybe expected of Dougie and Kamara  as well, i think Dougie had 3 shots against Spurs including his run forwards for the goal. Like a lot of others id love Watkins to be prolific on top of his work rate but he isnt, and if he was he'd probably be playing his football elsewhere by now.

Not expecting prolific from Ollie but he has to be targeting 12-15 league goals a season, he’s currently only on 3 at almost the half way point.  Hopefully with new manager, better support from teammates and confidence in the team he can still hit double figures for the season now.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

At Premier League level he's played just under eighty-five games worth of football and scored twenty-eight and assisted eleven in that time, in terms of goals and assists combined it's not actually that bad at all. That's not to say we won't need a better forward going forward but also if we do buy another striker that doesn't have to mean that Watkins isn't very good or has to or eave anything like that, can still play a big part.

Most of that was first season though, he’s fallen a lot shorter or regressed in the last 18 months.  Hopefully the last few games under Emery is a resurgence of the first season Ollie but adding in the first season covers the cracks of the last 18 months.  I want to see the current Ollie continue hopefully converting more chances though.

Edited by nick76

He's scored three and assisted four in fifteen games worth of Premier League football this season. Not been scoring enough, but his goals and assists combined this season have been very similar to what they are if you look at them based on all three of his seasons in the Premier League. Also probably safe to say there mitigating circumstances for him not scoring as many goals this season, unfortunately under Gerrard we just weren't good as an attacking team at all not just Eagle OW11.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

He's scored three and assisted four in fifteen games worth of Premier League football this season. Not been scoring enough, but his goals and assists combined this season have been very similar to what they are if you look at them based on all three of his seasons in the Premier League. Also probably safe to say there mitigating circumstances for him not scoring as many goals this season, unfortunately under Gerrard we just weren't good as an attacking team at all not just Eagle OW11.

As I said, half of that is under Emery.  Before Emery his only “assists” this season was 2 of them in the Everton game and nothing in the other games. As for goals he’d only score 2 before Emery came here.  I agree we weren’t as good attacking under Gerrard, so as I said hope he continues as he has under Emery but also convert chances which his only but crucial weakness.

44 minutes ago, nick76 said:

As I said, half of that is under Emery.  Before Emery his only “assists” this season was 2 of them in the Everton game and nothing in the other games. As for goals he’d only score 2 before Emery came here.  I agree we weren’t as good attacking under Gerrard, so as I said hope he continues as he has under Emery but also convert chances which his only but crucial weakness.

Understatement of the year. We couldn't muster a shot because we were set up by a clueless idiot. There's no point using any player's statistics from the Gerrard era, particularly this season. It's a waste of time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Not expecting prolific from Ollie but he has to be targeting 12-15 league goals a season, he’s currently only on 3 at almost the half way point.  Hopefully with new manager, better support from teammates and confidence in the team he can still hit double figures for the season now.

Agree, double figures minimum, I think we'd all be comfortable and 12-15. 

• Like 1

The problem is only Ings scores the Ings goal and only Ings scores the Bailey chance at the end too. Yet we are apparently considering letting him leave and he's top scorer for what it's worth.

Watkins and Bailey have 50p's for feet.

Had absolutely nothing to work with, midfield and wingers non existent, a number of times a ball was punted into the channel and he has a man mountain Collins in front of him, and he's getting pelters for not somehow getting round him or out muscling him.

• Like 3

I don't see Emery compromising the system, or playing a striker on the wing to accommodate.

Watkins and Ings has worked in patches but I don't see Emery playing them both.

It's one or the other and if Ings keeps coming off the bench and having that kind of impact, he will push him out.

Â