Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

18 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If he was any good, we would have had offers for him. He's a lower midtable striker, possibly still score 10+ in the Championship. If we wanna move on up, we need a better striker period! It's unfortunate Ings hasn't got the fitness anymore, cause for me he is by far the better finisher over Watkins.

I agree with this but why are we writing Ings's fitness off. he's only just 30.  should have a couple more years yet and under emery seems a threat again. 

• Like 1

His main downfall is missing chances, but against Liverpool I thought he put two out of four of them away. There aren't many strikers who would've done better than that. 

He needs to be a bit more 'Ings-y' in his reading of the game. There was a knock down from McGinn where he should be gambling for a toe-poke home. 

In the past, his general footballing ability looked a bit ropey...but I think he's come on a lot since Emery came in and is holding the ball up more effectively and making better passes. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A more clinical striker doesn’t try to head it like Ollie did against Liverpool, but takes it on the volley. 

More clinical striker was playing for Liverpool called Nunez 

• Haha 1

On 27/12/2022 at 05:46, Demitri_C said:

So do you think watkins is the kind of striker that can take us where emery and the owners want to take us?

There's one maybe 2 players at the club who can..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Awful footballer

He’s certainly not an awful footballer.  I’m highly critical of him but he has impressive workrate and pressing.  Sadly his finishing and football IQ is not at the level we need.  If we can utilise his attributes elsewhere then that would be a great outcome but he’s not a striker that we need now or to progress.

• Like 4

Awful striker not awful footballer, but then again that's still a bit harsh.

I doubt he would get into a Brighton, West Ham team, so definately not good enough for our ambitions.

Where are these teams gagging to sign him? I'd rather have Pukki from Norwich.

On 26/12/2022 at 19:37, villa4europe said:

I thought he wasn't great but at the same time mcginn, Bailey and Nunez all missed far bigger chances than him

Tough ask of him tonight between those 2 CBs

For perspective Nunez cost 3x what Watkins did

so why don't we get 2 like that,? instead of 1

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

He’s certainly not an awful footballer.  I’m highly critical of him but he has impressive workrate and pressing.  Sadly his finishing and football IQ is not at the level we need.  If we can utilise his attributes elsewhere then that would be a great outcome but he’s not a striker that we need now or to progress.

but for me Nick, I am still not comfortable with our recruitment.....in fact nervous, to be honest.

for that reason alone, I wouldn't sell Ollie, we don't want to go backwards and Wes springs to mind and Samatta and Grabban....boy we've had some brahmmers.

I don't know how much influence UE has, to negate that nervousness.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

International / CL level CBs who also have the perfect physical attributes for the PL?

To be fair I'm pretty sure VVD cost more than our back 4

Sven Botman didn't.....c 40m 

Konate didn't...............c 36 m

Matip didn't.................Free.

we make too many excuses.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sven Botman didn't.....c 40m 

Konate didn't...............c 36 m

Matip didn't.................Free.

we make too many excuses.

Come on konate and Matip don't join us, especially given where we were when we signed mings and Konsa the luxury of being a top team

We bought Carlos rather than botman, unfair to judge yet but everything suggested Carlos is a great signing

7 hours ago, The_Steve said:

A more clinical striker doesn’t try to head it like Ollie did against Liverpool, but takes it on the volley. 

A more clinical striker would have brought it down on his chest, opened up his hips, dropped the shoulder, sent Allison for a hot dog and rabona'd the ball into the net. Which is what I would have done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I make you right - if he did anything other than what he did it’s a goal.

Watkins once again proved why he is an average footballer.

I am confident Ings would have scored from this opportunity.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

A more clinical striker would have brought it down on his chest, opened up his hips, dropped the shoulder, sent Allison for a hot dog and rabona'd the ball into the net. Which is what I would have done.

Is that you Gary goals?

Â