Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

To an extent I agree, and there's been glimpses of "chemistry" between Coutinho and Watkins in previous games with through balls being played into Watkins with space ahead of him.  Similarly, some of Watkins' movement has created space for Ramsey, in particular, to exploit.

However, under our current system, that width provided by both Grealish and Sterling which allows the ball to be wide and Watkins to find space in the box... we're just not doing that.  Our play is central with wing backs providing the width and generally crossing from deeper.  The Ings goal against Southampton is more like the kind of service that England strikers (as a comparison for Watkins and Ings, I suppose) will get.  Cash got right to the by-line and was then able to pick out Ings' movement in the box.  Generally, we don't do this.  No amount of chemistry/understanding can replace players being in the 'correct' positions to create those goalscoring opportunities.

Thats precisely what gets them in to those positions.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think you’re talking about his movement for the final pass, which isn’t always perfect.

But his general movement (eg creating wide options, knowing when to come deep, etc) is excellent.

That’s why I think he benefits from more pace and width around him, as he’s good at dragging centre backs out of position and creating space.

Yep fair enough, agree on that

Just now, Mark_1989 said:

Offers nothing 

He gets zero service every week and our attempt to resolve the issues is to drop the only central midfielder we have who can actually reliably pass a ball. Is it any surprise he looked a different player for England? 

Would honestly sell him if sensible offer comes in. Poor finisher when he has to think about things. Inexcusable missing the target then. 

sell now whilst his stock is still somewhat high. It’s only going to go down

Â