Academy General Topic

smetrov

Enjoyable watch that was, Derby had more possession first half but we defended well and they didn’t create clear cut chances. Mitchell Clark’s goal was a very nicely struck volley from near the edge of the box, he performed well at right back. Jacob Bedeau scored the second, he performed well for me as the whole back 5 did. You can watch the whole match on Derby’s official site, if you’re sad enough like me. We were a bit lucky to win I suppose but we got the job done

• Like 1

Watched the highlights, Chris Martin was playing up front for Derby. Would do some of those lads good to come up against someone of his stature.

"What, like an experienced professional, someone who has been there and done it at a relatively high level? Someone who knows all the tricks in the book and will provide a good test and lesson for our young, inexperienced boys?"

No, I mean, literally his stature. Bloke looks like the **** Michelin man.

• Haha 1

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:04, sir_gary_cahill said:

Enjoyable watch that was, Derby had more possession first half but we defended well and they didn’t create clear cut chances. Mitchell Clark’s goal was a very nicely struck volley from near the edge of the box, he performed well at right back. Jacob Bedeau scored the second, he performed well for me as the whole back 5 did. You can watch the whole match on Derby’s official site, if you’re sad enough like me. We were a bit lucky to win I suppose but we got the job done

Cheers SGC

Did we use any subs?

Aston Villa U23s' Premier League 2 fixtures for the 2018/19 season have been announced.

We'll host Norwich City at Banks's Stadium in our opening match of the Division 2 campaign on Monday 13th August.

Then, it's a trip to face Manchester United early doors at Leigh Sports Village later that week.

Kevin MacDonald and Mark Delaney are currently preparing the side for the new term at a pre-season training camp in Denmark, hoping to go one better than last year's PL2 Division 2 Play-Off Final.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/07/26/aston-villa-u23s-fixtures-announced-for-2018-19

Mr BOF sir, do your thing!

1 hour ago, Unused Sub said:

Cheers SGC

Did we use any subs?

We did, I can remember Jake Walker coming on at right back, he’s tigerish in the tackle, I think there were more but I can’t remember. I think I remember Jacob Ramsey coming on too but not 100% sure about that, can’t remember any more

• 2 weeks later...

For all the praise our academy gets (want to clarify from the outset I am not pretending to be knowledgeable on the topic) somewhere along the line the system of integration is failing, and I wonder, what do the rest of VT think about the setup?

While the academy teams have enjoyed some success and positive appraisal in the last decade. Since the 90's we have only really produced a handful, or dozen at most, players who have gone on to have any sort of memorable career in the top flight, and even less so on a European stage. The only player to enjoy a glimpse of the Premier League from the NextGen series champions is, Grealish (although to be fair, Loftus-Cheek is the only player from their opponents Chelsea to of made it).

Will any players from the team that won the PL Div 2 cup last season have a career in the top tier? Will any of them find their opportunity come at Villa?

With a history and facilities like Villa's and the population of Birmingham, I think Villa should be producing the kind of successful graduates that it's European neighbours are, at the very least trying to emulate them. But we're nothing close to it. Cities with smaller populations and less rich heritage than Villa's are producing more top tier players.

23 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

For all the praise our academy gets (want to clarify from the outset I am not pretending to be knowledgeable on the topic) somewhere along the line the system of integration is failing, and I wonder, what do the rest of VT think about the setup?

While the academy teams have enjoyed some success and positive appraisal in the last decade. Since the 90's we have only really produced a handful, or dozen at most, players who have gone on to have any sort of memorable career in the top flight, and even less so on a European stage. The only player to enjoy a glimpse of the Premier League from the NextGen series champions is, Grealish (although to be fair, Loftus-Cheek is the only player from their opponents Chelsea to of made it).

Will any players from the team that won the PL Div 2 cup last season have a career in the top tier? Will any of them find their opportunity come at Villa?

With a history and facilities like Villa's and the population of Birmingham, I think Villa should be producing the kind of successful graduates that it's European neighbours are, at the very least trying to emulate them. But we're nothing close to it. Cities with smaller populations and less rich heritage than Villa's are producing more top tier players.

But I largely agree, I think more can be done to translate development into the Villa 1st team. I think it starts with a joined up approach, like the 'villa engine' but actions not words. A system or style that is replicated throughout all the teams, from 1st team to youngsters. Therefore scouting and training can be focused to supplement that. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/08/2018 at 06:02, sir_gary_cahill said:

U18s won 2-0 at home against Fulham today, that’s all I know, I’m on holiday at the moment, that’s why I didn’t go

Not committed. sir_gary_cahill OUT!

• Haha 1

Â