Academy General Topic

smetrov

Did anyone get a good view of the opener for Tamworth. All the Villa players were appealing for offside? 

Also had a chat with Marc Albrighton who was watching, said he was excited for the new season, had a bit of a hamstring problem so didn't go with the first team, but a side note, he really is quite small! Not just in height but in breadth as well. I mean i'm a skinny 6ft 18 year old and I was bigger than him in size. 

I do see something in Watkins definitely

As do I, every time I've seen him he's impressed. Deals with crosses and high balls really well from what I've seen.

I thought it was onside personally KJ.

Wasn't there some stupid talk of it only being for the teams that actually qualify for the real Champions League? 

Meaning we wouldn't get to play in it. 

I just watched the Carruthers/Burke/Drennan interview on AVTV and Burke mentioned he was disappointed that he couldn't play in it this season (I presume because of his age) but Drennan could still play in it. That suggests that we'll be in it again and I guess the players are the one's who would know about it.

Would be silly if the winners didn't get the chance to defend their title in my opinion.

Edited by Pembers

The NextGen will always be open to us I think, they approached some of the better and more established clubs' academies in each of the larger leagues to join and we did. We were one of the inaugural clubs and we're also a winner, it would be pretty shocking to see us removed from it.

The problem is UEFA are expected to (or may have already unveiled IIRC) an exact replica of NextGen for Champions League teams. Meaning many of the benefits of NextGen, playing in Europe against the best academies in the world, will no longer be as it is more likely the likes of Ajax, Barca, Sporting, etc etc will simply only enter the UEFA licensed one. The NextGen would then lose a lot of its appeal and Champions League clubs have another form of income, as you would assume the U19 Champions League would have (albeit nowhere near the level of the CL proper) it's own TV licensing deal.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Yes I disagree with your comment, it gives young players an opportunity to showcase their talents and a platform to build on from there, the vast majority don't make It here though, let's hope grealish is an exception

Yes I disagree with your comment, it gives young players an opportunity to showcase their talents and a platform to build on from there, the vast majority don't make It here though, let's hope grealish is an exception

You clearly didn't read the post immediately above Pete's. Either that or you didn't understand it.

the competition itself is a good idea, the fact that only the teams whos 1st team qualifies for the main competition is the stupid thing

and i agree with pete, its utter bollocks

will be interesting to see how the 2 competitions compete, man city for example never took nextgen seriously anyway, id expect more teams to take part but not take it seriously

You clearly didn't read the post immediately above Pete's. Either that or you didn't understand it.

Ah I see thanks for clearing that up ddid, sorry pete

• Like 2

UEFA are very worried that someone from outside of the football family (cartel) could start a tournament using their clubs, with a TV deal that they don't own - it sets a precedent for a future European super league (like the Champions league but without the pesky qualifiers from small countries that don't pull in viewers and without the risk of Utd accidentally not qualifying one year) - they'll pull out all the stops to kill Next Gen.

In principle, they're right - tournaments by invitation aren't something I agree on but their replacement idea where teams qualify based on the performance of a clubs first team doesn't make much sense either - in a tournament run as a meritocracy, we'd be in, but it's hard to see how that merit would be decided on. 

I suspect at some point, we'll see a tournament we're not in, that we'd be capable of winning. I think then I'd worry about the effect that would have on the ability of our academy to recruit and retain young talent.

Â