Johan Lange

hippo

Is he just a yes man to Purslow? I always thought it to be an odd appointment for an ambitious club. We need an innovator. A leader. Someone to push the boundaries. Lange is too subservient to Purslow and latterly Gerrard. Not the right man in my view.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Well you know he didn't come up with Gerrard. Or Coutinho. Or Digne. Or Ings.

I worry he's been flattened by Purslow over a lot of issues.

Hard to judge IMO. Not impressed with our overall recruitment though. Paying players £150k a week isn't the way forward unless they are really going to improve us.

It’s been tragic since Grealish left, it really has. Kamara aside, our signings have been f***** daft. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

It would be funny if he was actually the driving force behind our shift in transfer policy

Nah. 

Gerrard literally said he wanted to increase the average age. 

52 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Nah. 

Gerrard literally said he wanted to increase the average age. 

Gerrard and Lange were clearly at odds - hence the Sarr debacle which showed they couldn’t trust Gerrard with transfers. Deprived us of more tactical options and wingers. 

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Gerrard and Lange were clearly at odds - hence the Sarr debacle which showed they couldn’t trust Gerrard with transfers. Deprived us of more tactical options and wingers. 

yes so I took it that Lange pulled off the Sarr deal and Gerrard scuppered it.  I really wanted that deal to happen so felt Lange is doing the right things but Gerrard and purslow undermined him.   I could be wrong and it could have been the reverse with gerard wanting sarr and lange pulling the deal but that doesn't make sense to me.  If gerard had wanted sarr purslow would have made it happen.

Edited by tezzaleed

7 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

yes so I took it that Lange pulled off the Sarr deal and Gerrard scuppered it.  I really wanted that deal to happen so felt Lange is doing the right things but Gerrard and purslow undermined him.   I could be wrong and it could have been the reverse with gerard wanting sarr and lange pulling the deal but that doesn't make sense to me.  If gerard had wanted sarr purslow would have made it happen.

Lange brought in Bertie and probably wanted an upgraded version but Gerrard put his foot down. He seemed proud to have pulled the plug on it. 

The reason why I’m suspicious of Lange actually being the driving force for our shift in transfer policy is the rumours that Gerrard was the one who nixed the Sarr signing implying It was not only Lange that wanted him, but that he had enough control by himself to push the signing forward behind Gerrard’s back.

Sarr would’ve been a terrible signing. He gained a lot of hype for his performances a few seasons ago. The problem is that he hasn’t gotten better since, and if anything he’s regressed. There’s a reason Watford fans were unanimous in biting our hand off for the 30m we offered. This isn’t the Ismaila Sarr of a few years ago yet we willing to pay him big money as if he was. And this is without me even mentioning the fact that he did not fit in our team whatsoever.

If you noticed, that’s been a common trend regarding a lot of the purchases we’ve made. The biggest example was Coutinho. He is clearly extremely far from the player he was at his peak and is likely to only get worse from now on. Yet we bought because? Well because his phil coutinho of course. One of the most expensive players of all time, surely there’s no way this signing would turn out bad. Who cares that we already had another player at our club that we already heavily invested in and would lose his spot.

Ings and Digne aren’t far behind. Very very good players at their peak, but we bought them both whilst they were on the decline and also at the closer end of their careers. Just like with Coutinho, both their previous clubs and their fans did not mind seeing the back of them for the fees we paid. And just like with Phil, we never seemed to give much thought about how these players would fit in team. Did we really need to spend that amount of money on a backup striker? A backup left back would’ve been nice, but we clearly did not want him as a backup and it led to our previous starting left back immediately leaving, leaving us right back to where we started just with less money and a higher wage bill.

I’m gonna ignore Bednarek since he was an emergency signing and on loan but what the hell was the point of signing Dendoncker? Did we just saw that he played a lot of games for Belgium and Wolves and assume he must’ve been good? He doesn’t add anything to the squad except be another body in the midfield when we already have plenty of other midfield options already. Maybe he was at one point in time, but he clearly isn’t anymore as evidenced by Wolves fans being all too happy with selling him. 

The common themes should be obvious at this point. These players reputations make them seem better than they actually were when we signed them. I swear I’ve seen this happen a lot, it takes quite a long time for a player’s reputation to actually catch up to how good they currently are. Think about how many outside fans seem to think John Mcginn is still one of our best players. However, the current fans are obviously more in the know about how good these players are currently.

Sarr would’ve fit in so perfectly with the trend its not even funny. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

On 21/10/2022 at 06:30, Delphinho123 said:

It’s been tragic since Grealish left, it really has. Kamara aside, our signings have been f***** daft. 

No, I am still unsigned. But I'd put pen to paper for £150 000/week, no questions asked.

• Haha 1

Â