Pre Match Thread - Villa's Last Stand !

Paul33

In my head (Written on my work pad version 251 of how we stay up) this week I actually had Watford to win, Bournemouth draw and Villa defeat this week which when I was doing them I thought leaves us in a horrible position of being 4 points off with the potential to go 7 points on Saturday lunch time which I think would be curtains regardless of any result we get. However trying to stay positive I still think it may look a bit like this

Watford

Newcastle D

West Ham L

City L

Bournemouth

Leicester L

City L

Southampton D

Im ruling West Ham out as think they will beat Norwich tomorrow, and so the above would leave us needing 4 point minimum to take things into a showdown with West Ham who hopefully would be on the beach.....seems do able? The problem it it just doesn't at the moment, we look so empty of ideas, effort and quality I struggle to believe we will score a goal let alone get points but trying to be positive for me we have to look back and think about where our best performances have been think that means a potential 343 again. I would personally like to see this Sunday....

Reina

Konsa Mings Hause

Guilbert       Luiz     Hourihnne     Taylor (Target if fit)

El Ghazi             Sammatta         Grealish

For what its worth I have us down for 

Palace W

Everton D

Arsenal L

Got to keep that little bit of hope!

• Like 1

If you go by the bookies odds, neither Watford nor Bournemouth will pick up any more points which would mean Villa need five points to stay up and maybe only four points depending on final goal difference. Makes it sound a little more encouraging but still down to us to find those results and, needless to say, this game is on the massive side of huge !

Edited by Paul33

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's 0-0

I think that's the problem we have right now. I don't see where a goal is going to come from. Grealish needs to be 20 yards further up the field playing passes in and around the box to unlock something. But right now who would you expect to take a chance when it comes? Davis, Samatta, El Ghazi, Trez? I just hope it falls to the left foot of Hourihane as I think he's the only one I'd be confident of hitting the back of the net. 

I think we have a real chance here, but my word we need to take it, Smith has to have us ready from before KO so when that ball starts rolling we're on a mission.

They employ a midfield three that is defensively solid but will always be looking to get Zaha the ball  as a means of penetrating our lines and creating chances going forward. Correct me if I'm wrong but none of Kouyate, their Serbian midfielder or McArthur are skilled passers of the ball, each of their distribution is limited to quite basic play, so if we're methodical and organised in the way we contain Zaha before he gets the ball, we should really limit Palace to routine and predictable build up, and if we're working hard enough to be in the right places as a unit we can make it 5 straight defeats for their mob.

Reina

Konsa Hause Mings Taylor

McGinn Luiz

Anwar Samatta Grealish

Davis

Edited by A'Villan

Reina

Guilbert/Elmo Konsa Mings Targett/Taylor

Luiz Nakamba Hourihane

Anwar Davis Grealish

I think we're done for, but it will only take 90 mins to make everything look much different. Don't know how fit Guilbert or Targett are but I think we need our fullbacks to help us more in attack, so Elmo and Taylor would be my second choices there.

Edited by rjenkins

8 hours ago, cb_82 said:

In my head (Written on my work pad version 251 of how we stay up) this week I actually had Watford to win, Bournemouth draw and Villa defeat this week which when I was doing them I thought leaves us in a horrible position of being 4 points off with the potential to go 7 points on Saturday lunch time which I think would be curtains regardless of any result we get. However trying to stay positive I still think it may look a bit like this

Watford

Newcastle D

West Ham L

City L

Bournemouth

Leicester L

City L

Southampton D

Im ruling West Ham out as think they will beat Norwich tomorrow, and so the above would leave us needing 4 point minimum to take things into a showdown with West Ham who hopefully would be on the beach.....seems do able? The problem it it just doesn't at the moment, we look so empty of ideas, effort and quality I struggle to believe we will score a goal let alone get points but trying to be positive for me we have to look back and think about where our best performances have been think that means a potential 343 again. I would personally like to see this Sunday....

Reina

Konsa Mings Hause

Guilbert       Luiz     Hourihnne     Taylor (Target if fit)

El Ghazi             Sammatta         Grealish

For what its worth I have us down for 

Palace W

Everton D

Arsenal L

Got to keep that little bit of hope!

Forgive me if im wrong, but that would see watford on 32, us on 31

19 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

apologies, read it wrong!

No worries I was basically just summarizing how we could get to a last day jobbie - Once you get to that anything can happen!

For once, I suspect that we are all agreed that this is a "must win" game, whatever West Ham and Watford, may have done on Saturday, and Bournemouth might go on to do on Sunday evening. To have any chance of taking this relegation fight to the last day of the season, we need to win this one, and then pick up points/a point at Everton, as well as at home to Arsenal. To do that, we will need to start scoring goals again, be solid at the back and hope our opponents will be on the beach! 🤞

We owe Palace one and VAR owes us more than one. This time we are not facing a team, that we should have any cause to have a temporary inferiority complex about. They are 14th and not in, or near to the top four. They have lost their last four league games, so they are not on a good run. They have achieved their annual target of 40 points, so we should have the greater will to win (I emphasis the word should)! Old Woy, will probably have them up for this though, so we will have to fight and most of our players, will need to find some long lost form. This is without doubt the sort of game, that any other PL team, would aim for a home win from. We have even more reason to do so on Sunday afternoon.   

We would have had an extra point, if Conor's late equaliser had stood, as it should have done, in August. We won our last home league game against our visitors in 2016 and it's been 7 years since they won at Villa Park. Overall, we have won 12 and have drawn 10, of the 33 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. Just win this one for us Villa! :flag:      

• Like 3