Pre Match Thread - Villa's Last Stand !

Paul33

Originally this was shaping up to me to be a similar game to that Sunderland monday night game in Lambert's first season, night where it all clicks and we win well to move clear of bottom 3.

Reality is pretty different now but it wouldn't shock me if we actually put in a good performance now with the pressure off of being miles adrift.

6-1. Benteke hat-trick of own goals.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Wouldn't surprise me if we won 3 games now and it still won't be enough.

Think we’d stay up if we got 9 more points.

Don't see us getting 9 points though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Wouldn't surprise me if we won 3 games now and it still won't be enough.

It would surprise me massively. I'd be shocked if we managed to score 3 goals in our last 4 games.

• Like 1

I seem to find myself a little more optimistic than most (though only when I focus on the maths and forget our woeful lack of fight).

There is little chance of Watford or West Ham getting anything from Man City and Man United. Their only other fixture before the final day is obviously against each other, so that means a very high chance of one or both of them going into the last game in the 34-35 point range,

If we can somehow (big word, I know) find two of the ugliest, flukiest wins in the world from Palace, Everton and Arsenal then we would go into the final day on 33 points with a glimmer of hope.

Highly improbable, yes, but not impossible, so for now I will cling to that. And I think we will know early on against Palace if there is any fight or the usual resignation in the players’ eyes. I’m going to go crazy and say 1-0 Villa. Luiz screamer. 89th minute.

• Like 2

I've never bet against Villa (probably why I'm so poor 😂) but I have tonight, can't understand what makes us favourites. I covered Palace and the draw. I don't mind if the bet loses because that means we have won....

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We need 7 points to get above Watford and West Ham because of goal difference. It's over.

Don't even bother playing pragmatic and hope to nick it. Just go for it. Nothing to lose.

This is assuming Watford don’t pick up any more points too, right?

I know we have to stay optimistic, and a lot of people were looking at our wins coming against Palace and West Ham, but I’m sorry... we are seriously underestimating our opponents here. Despite their position, Palace are a very good team and it’s inevitable one of Ayew or Benteke is going to score today. Meaning we’ve got to score at least 2. 🙃

All out attack. Play Davis and Vassilev up top. Grealish and McGinn in behind. Targett and Elmo as wing backs. Luiz sitting.

**** defending. Let’s go for the 5-0 win. 

Dont bother with Samatta, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Nakamba or Engels. 42m of garbage. 

Edited by Delphinho123

1-0 Villa

We’ll manage to fashion a chance and take it then shut up shop for 70 mins. A little hope is restored before we go to Everton and get a hard fought 0-0. Could it really be that Villa might stay up? Then Arsenal thrash us 4-0, before a depressing 2-0 loss at the athletics stadium. 

On the bright side, at least we’ll get to play Coventry at the sty next year. 

• Haha 2

Can't see us scoring, we can't buy a goal at the moment! Either 0-0 or 1-0 palace:-( 

We went toe to to with Manure Thursday and that awful penalty killed the game for us, I think some the players after yesterdays results are already speaking to their agents to get them out of here! 

Predict a 2-1 win. Mings and Samatta to score. 
If I’ve learned anything from supporting Villa all these years, it’s that where there’s the opportunity for your emotions to be toyed with, they will be fully toyed with. So I can see us going in to the West Ham game needing a win to stay up, and us having a frustrating 0-0 or something. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Matt Targett’s fit and available for today. Might give us something extra in an attacking sense. 

Left back at at the hotel hopefully