Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

Its a bit controversial but I thought Scholes was a bit overrated . That might be marred by watching underperform or England for about 10 years.

Plus the fact that he managed to have a 20 year career in central midfield without actually learning to tackle correctly. Nowadays he would have had to or he would have been sent off 2/3 times a season.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its a bit controversial but I thought Scholes was a bit overrated . That might be marred by watching underperform or England for about 10 years.

Plus the fact that he managed to have a 20 year career in central midfield without actually learning to tackle correctly. Nowadays he would have had to or he would have been sent off 2/3 times a season.

If he'd played for a team that weren't so dominant his inability to tackle would have been a much bigger issue, but he was able to get away with it because they were in complete control for 25-30 games per season.

I think Makelele is a big one, he was great at what he was doing but the way people go on you would think he was first ever good holding midfielder. 

Mauro Silva was doing it a decade before Makelele and was evem less useful in opposition half. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think Makelele is a big one, he was great at what he was doing but the way people go on you would think he was first ever good holding midfielder. 

Mauro Silva was doing it a decade before Makelele and was evem less useful in opposition half. 

Yep.

Attention came from Makelele doing it in a good Madrid side and moreso from being the first player to play in England who was used solely as an anchor in front of defence.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Is Tony Adam actually a bit shit? Great captain and all that jazz but everytime I watch a rewind he is involved in he giving away goals all over the shop.

He wouldn't cope with modern football. No pace at all, even slower than JT. You have to give him cudos though  for turning his personal level around and became more of a ball playing defender under Wenger. 

• Like 1

On 04/06/2020 at 10:22, Zatman said:

It didn't help Robinho he was called the new Pele mainly because the Santos connection. 

Not sure Santos did much from Pele retiring to Robinho, Diego bursting on scene and them nearly winning Copa Liberatadores. Was actually a good Santos team that had good careers in Europe with Ricardo Oliveira, Leo, Nene, Renato and Alex same squad

Elano too

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Is Tony Adam actually a bit shit? Great captain and all that jazz but everytime I watch a rewind he is involved in he giving away goals all over the shop.

A great leader and fighter. Would never back out of a header even if he was going to get clobbered or kicked in the face. Definitely a defender of his era though. 

• 8 months later...

Michail Antonio.

He's alright, he is a nuisance, quick strong and direct and causes trouble but the carry on the past few months and him declaring for Jamaica you would think he was the second coming of Eusebio.

He's got a touch like an elephant at times, and his hamstrings are made out of cheesestring and he will be 31 next month. Just calm down. He is alright, decent. Occasionally unplayable, generally a handful and overall mildly average.

39 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Michail Antonio.

He's alright, he is a nuisance, quick strong and direct and causes trouble but the carry on the past few months and him declaring for Jamaica you would think he was the second coming of Eusebio.

He's got a touch like an elephant at times, and his hamstrings are made out of cheesestring and he will be 31 next month. Just calm down. He is alright, decent. Occasionally unplayable, generally a handful and overall mildly average.

He was average as the utility man who played as a defensive winger and occasionally filled in at full back and midfield, but he's become a very good striker. Since the turn of the year last year I think he has like 15 goals in 30 appearances or something. An absolute nuisance up front too, in a similar vein to Ollie Watkins, which in itself is a very invaluable quality in a striker.

Antonio is a good player but he is what he is, I dont think he is being overrated by anybody. He has never got near an England call up or had anybody in the media pushing for one but he has a nearly 1 in 3 Premier League record which is impressive for a player that has played all over the pitch and played for a Moyes team twice

Martial gets hilariously overrated. People still think he's 20 years old and going through yet another poor run of form but he's 25 now and never really proven himself for any decent period of time.

Among all his non productive form the only discussion is ever how to get the best out of him not that he's been underperforming for the last 3 years. On performances I'm not sure he'd start for half the league.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Martial gets hilariously overrated. People still think he's 20 years old and going through yet another poor run of form but he's 25 now and never really proven himself for any decent period of time.

Among all his non productive form the only discussion is ever how to get the best out of him not that he's been underperforming for the last 3 years. On performances I'm not sure he'd start for half the league.

It seems to be if you play for United then you dont age when the media goes on about your struggles. Lingard and Jones before were getting away with being shit because they are still "young and have potential" :D 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Except that Martial has very good stats and he's not someone I've noticed being overrated, in fact having just l👀ked at his stats if anything he's underrated.

four goals and five assists in twenty league apperances this season, plus another two goals and two assists in the champions league

seventeen goals and seven assists in thirty two league appearances last season, twenty three goals and eleven assists in all competitions

And ten goals and three assists in twenty seven league appearances the season before.

He'd get in most teams, outside of Man City and Liverpool it's a struggle to think of a team that he wouldn't get into.

He is a No.9 though for United, pretty poor stats for a team like United. He is 47th top scorer in the Premier League at the moment and 4 Villa players have more goals than him

Four goals five assists for a top team is really poor?  You so rarely see good individual performances out of him and you can quote as many stats as you like but when has he really delivered? When has he changed a game? He was good as a young player with legimate going to be world class hype about him but then you look at what he's doing now and it can't be seen as anything other than a disappointment 

Â