Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

I might mention Ribery. Robben was a fantastic player but Ribery was overrated. 

Disagree! Ravaged by injuries at times but an incredible player, underrated IMO. Bayern's best player in their 2012/13 treble campaign, as well as a few other seasons. Even now at 37 he's moved to Fiorentina and won Serie A player of the month straight away before sadly getting injured again.

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Sven taking Walcott to the world cup was insane. Waste of a squad place. 

I know he's a bell end but Harry Redknapp should have managed England. He would have garnered a togetherness in the squad like Venables and Robson did IMO. The England managers job isn't about tactics or coaching because the players play for managers who are world class. Its about getting the players to form a bond and gel together. 

Something that people have missed with Southgate actually, too busy focusing on the easy draw narrative to notice that vast majority of England squad really relish turning up for England duty now and that's reflected in the consistant results for last two years.

England still probably won't win anything but I think they'll be reasonably consistant semi finalists now with the odd final thrown in over the next decade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Raul got most of his goals before the Galactico era , his goalscoring record actually went down when the Galactico project started

Everyone remembers the 4-3 Ronaldo hat-trick game against Man. United but Raul was best player on the pitch in the first leg.

In between the two legs he had appendix operation and was never the same after that for Real Madrid. His career was similar to Wayne Rooney. Should also be rememberded he played well at Schalke also.

Frustration at international level though. He was only 30 when Spain won euro 2008 but they'd already decided to axe him from the national team.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Disagree! Ravaged by injuries at times but an incredible player, underrated IMO. Bayern's best player in their 2012/13 treble campaign, as well as a few other seasons. Even now at 37 he's moved to Fiorentina and won Serie A player of the month straight away before sadly getting injured again.

I think Robben was the better player but Ribery get a bad press for his ability because he is a dickhead off the pitch but on the pitch he was a lot more of a worker than Robben so goes unnoticed. Brilliant combination though, rare that wingers team up so effectively considering they are opposite side of pitch

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Robben was the better player but Ribery get a bad press for his ability because he is a dickhead off the pitch but on the pitch he was a lot more of a worker than Robben so goes unnoticed. Brilliant combination though, rare that wingers team up so effectively considering they are opposite side of pitch

I think Robben and Ribery were both fantastic players, who reached top 5 in the world status in their respective primes. They each had stages when they were better than the other, and it often came down to which of them was fit for more of a particular season.

In Bayern's most successful campaign of their generation (2012/2013), Ribery was very much the main man. Robben was often on the bench with Ribery tearing it up on the left, Muller on the right and Kroos number 10 behind Mandzukic. Kroos got injured in the CL quarter final against Juve, and Robben came in for the rest of the season, notably scoring the winner in the CL final. 

If the 2 of them had stayed fit, Bayern would definitely have won more titles in Europe in the last 10 years.

Always thought Diego Costa is a bit overrated.  Talking of Costa, I see he has got done for fiddling his taxes, i don't know what it is about Spain but the players over there must have the shittest accountants to keep getting caught out.

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ronaldo.

Not modern Ronaldo, the Nike one from Brazil. He was very, very good, but I hear people have him down as the best of all time and it baffles me. He's in a group with Shevchenko, Weah and Eto'o and I think edges that group as the best of them, but he's not up there with Maradona, Messi, Modern Ronaldo, Cruyff, Zico, Ronaldhino and that group. 

Can't agree with this one.

Ronaldo can't be labelled as the GOAT purely because of his injuries. But I think the argument is if he hadn't been hampered so much by injuries he would have been in that category.

And I agree.

• Like 1

I wonder if the Ronaldo thing might be because of timing and television - my memories of him are that he was very quick, he could finish, he had a stepover and he made good runs - a great striker, but not more than that - but he exists in that period where sport went to Sky and we didn't have youtube or internetty highlight things so I didn't see as much of him as I've seen of others. Lennox Lewis and Joe Calzaghe are in a similar boat, I saw Lennox fight once in a pub and I only saw a couple of highlights of Joe a couple of years after he retired. I guess my opinion of Ronaldo might be down to that media hole that existed in the first half of the 2000's when a lot of sport was mostly invisible.

Ronaldo he was not the same player after 2000 and he was just 24 or so incredible he came back to even near that level and wasnt that explosive best but he did transform himself into a goalscorer. Its a what could have been

• Like 1

If we're going on about Brazil, i always though Robinho and Adriano were a tad overrated. Not a patch on the likes of Ronaldo, Romario, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't Ronaldo have been on a lot in late 90s given watching Serie A on a Sunday afternoon was a must? And you had the Gazzetta highlights on a Saturday morning. Great days.

He shouldn't have moved to Inter, was fantastic at Barca in 96/97 but all his agents forced him to move on.

Incredible to think he didn't win the CL and I believe he only won a major league title once (La Liga in 02/03).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wouldn't Ronaldo have been on a lot in late 90s given watching Serie A on a Sunday afternoon was a must? And you had the Gazzetta highlights on a Saturday morning. Great days.

That makes a lot of sense - I've just had a look at it and in his last four seasons at Inter he made a total of 36 appearances which is why I guess we didn't see much of him there.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 07:20, Chindie said:

Ronaldo was an incredible striker. His knees fell apart very early in his career but he still managed to have a formidable goalscoring record. He's probably one of the greatest strikers ever - at his best he was arguably the perfect striker, technically brilliant, extremely fast, superb finishing and composure, powerful... Had he not been absolutely ravaged by injury there's an argument he's in the running for greatest ever.

If you were to build the ultimate striker, it would be 20 year old Ronaldo. It didn't get more complete than that.

His knees went because according to a doctor, he was too fast for his body :lol: . He was genetically gifted in that he could accelerate in any direction at the drop of a pin, and could run the 100m in 10 seconds. His body just couldn't handle his freakishly coordinated bursts of speed at one point, and his kneecap just exploded during one game for Inter. It's amazing he remained a world class striker after that, but he never hit the heights he was at before. I think he would have been the GOAT had he remained at that level throughout his career.

• Like 2

On 30/05/2020 at 16:25, Xela said:

If we're going on about Brazil, i always though Robinho and Adriano were a tad overrated. Not a patch on the likes of Ronaldo, Romario, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. 

Adriano was more a case of what might have been, the raw attributes to be great were there. Robinho definitely was though.

robinho was a couple of things, he's crazy good at futsal which generated a buzz about him, the old guard was on its way out so they needed a young Brazilian to hype (see also Gabriel Barbosa) and when he broke through Santos won a couple of leagues with him as the star player, he won the first ever golden boy award, he then had a decent start in Madrid before rapidly declining to then falling off a cliff

It didn't help Robinho he was called the new Pele mainly because the Santos connection. 

Not sure Santos did much from Pele retiring to Robinho, Diego bursting on scene and them nearly winning Copa Liberatadores. Was actually a good Santos team that had good careers in Europe with Ricardo Oliveira, Leo, Nene, Renato and Alex same squad

• Like 1

Â