Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I agree and I said this on here a few years back. Prepare for a backlash 😂

Most Frenchmen under a certain age will say Zidanne. I say Platini the greatest French player ever. 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Beckham is a strange one, he was probably underrated as a club player but overrated on the international scene

Cantona is certainly one for the list, Seedorf is another maybe controversial one. Was a bit hit and miss for me. Gerard Pique too

Yes I guess United were in a position like Liverpool having not won the title since 1968 or 67 and Cantona was their catalyst but compared to other great players that have played there he is overrated by Fergy and the fans. Roy Keane was underrated. 

Is Cantona rated that highly though? My reading of it is that he is considered a legend moreso for his character and charisma than being an all time great. He was very good but you don't generally hear people sayimng he was better than Shearer. Maybe I'm wrong.

Loved this film too though and this scene especially.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Punched it in to Google news to see if I could find where Cantona came on sky's recent top 50 foreign PL players (Henry 1st, Ronaldo 2nd can't remember the rest) 

Couldn't find it but did find an article from the Times 3 days ago debating if it really was Henry or if Cantona was better or if because the answer is so blatantly no they spun it to "most influential" 

That takes it back to what I said at the start, he's overrated because he got here 1st, he's not better than Henry, or bergkamp, or Zola or a host of others he just played at a time where there wasn't or hadn't been that foreign flair in the league, not actually sure what he influenced either, he was well marketed but as you saw in European and international football at the time there was way way better talent in Europe, Cantona left little mark on world football compared to Henry 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ronaldo.

Not modern Ronaldo, the Nike one from Brazil. He was very, very good, but I hear people have him down as the best of all time and it baffles me. He's in a group with Shevchenko, Weah and Eto'o and I think edges that group as the best of them, but he's not up there with Maradona, Messi, Modern Ronaldo, Cruyff, Zico, Ronaldhino and that group. 

This is unfair. He only failed to reach GOAT status due to injuries. He scored 98 goals in 104 appearances before he even turned 20. By 2002 he was a World Cup winner and Golden Boot recipient.

He was absolutely unreal. He had the pace of Adama, the skill of Ronaldinho and the finishing of any top striker at the time all rolled into one player. He never got the chance to reach Maradonna/Messi status.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

One could say the same about Scholes. They all failed to achieve their potential at international level. Gerrard did more than any one to win the champions league for Liverpool. I think they failed at international level because Sven stuck rigidly to 4-4-2. They were often outnumbered in midfield. Beckham I would say was overrated. Yes he’d bang in the odd free kick and ping a cross in but he was never world class IMO 

Scholes underperformed for England, thats for sure. All of his contemporaries like Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, Neville, etc, always say Scholes was by far and away the most talented player in the England squad. Yet he ended up on the left wing. 

Beckham was great for England. He carried England for years. 

I know its a different discussion but we should never have appointed Sven or Capello as England manager. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

I know its a different discussion but we should never have appointed Sven or Capello as England manager. 

That England squad with a modern 4-5-1 set up would have won something

Sven should have won something regardless, Capello was the FA completely misreading football (something which hasn't changed...) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He was absolutely unreal. He had the pace of Adama, the skill of Ronaldinho and the finishing of any top striker at the time all rolled into one player. He never got the chance to reach Maradonna/Messi status.

88 goals by rounding the keeper is an insane stat

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

88 goals by rounding the keeper is an insane stat

Was about to add that too. He has a 10 minute video of him just rounding the keeper. That's more goals than Gabby scored in his entire career, it's insane.

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That England squad with a modern 4-5-1 set up would have won something

Sven should have won something regardless, Capello was the FA completely misreading football (something which hasn't changed...) 

Sven taking Walcott to the world cup was insane. Waste of a squad place. 

I know he's a bell end but Harry Redknapp should have managed England. He would have garnered a togetherness in the squad like Venables and Robson did IMO. The England managers job isn't about tactics or coaching because the players play for managers who are world class. Its about getting the players to form a bond and gel together. 

• Like 2

Yep especially under Capello, that squad just needed a bollock tickling and let them loose

My memory of woys time with England and that god awful performance vs Iceland was Danny Rose turning to him in the 85th minute going out of the euros asking him what he should do... If that's the case you've failed as an international manager

• Like 1

If Ronaldo is mentioned then I can mention Rivaldo. Good player and some great goals but overrated as a whole.

Scholes is underrated. The importance of him in that Man Utd-side can't be downplayed.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Sven taking Walcott to the world cup was insane. Waste of a squad place. 

I know he's a bell end but Harry Redknapp should have managed England. He would have garnered a togetherness in the squad like Venables and Robson did IMO. The England managers job isn't about tactics or coaching because the players play for managers who are world class. Its about getting the players to form a bond and gel together. 

He should have got it instead of Hodgson

• Like 1

Just now, PaulC said:

Absolutely. It looked nailed on he would get it as well.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Raul. Tap in merchant supplied by the galacticos. Hindered RM for years towards the back end.

Raul got most of his goals before the Galactico era , his goalscoring record actually went down when the Galactico project started

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PaulC said:

.He didnt get the job because of his dirty reputation and FA didnt want put out fires like with Venables and then after with Allardyce. Redknapp would have been found out in a competition. Hodgson a much better tactician

Â