The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

A house in my street has gone on sale at an outrageous price, I’d have said easily £30k-£40k over priced. If it sells I’ll be completely shocked. 
They were selling new for £355-£365k 2.5 years ago... just gone on sale for £425k. Madness.

Edited by Genie

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Jeremy hunt on tv saaying people need to go bavk in as working from home doesnt guve you that "fizz" and "office banter"

Hmm id rather save the money in travel food and being stuck in a hour worth of traffic thanks 

Since the start of lockdown I’ve missed out on approximately 180 hours of the fizz of commute traffic congestion.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Since the start of lockdown I’ve missed out on approximately 180 hours of the fizz of commute traffic congestion.

I caught a bit of PM questions earlier, Boris pushing the get back in the office line.

He also said he changed his mind about meeting the families of those who have died from Covid-19 because they are in a litigation battle with the government and he’ll meet them once it’s all finished (yeah right).

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I caught a bit of PM questions earlier, Boris pushing the get back in the office line.

He also said he changed his mind about meeting the families of those who have died from Covid-19 because they are in a litigation battle with the government and he’ll meet them once it’s all finished (yeah right).

We’re in a slightly better position here as the government line is that you should still work from home wherever possible. The presumption is on work from home being the default and return to office being the lesser option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

_114207685_houseprice-nc.png

House prices up by 2% in a month, Building Society citing the twin causes as loosening of lockdown and lifting of stamp duty.

It would appear that removing stamp duty had no positive impact on house prices, but has reduced government income at a time they could really do with some tax income.

Hey ho, nobody could’ve seen it.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but aren’t these contradictory?

It certainly looks like removing stamp duty has pushed prices up (not that it was required but still). 

Are you stating that increase in prices is a negative (which I agree there is a case for)?

49 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but aren’t these contradictory?

It certainly looks like removing stamp duty has pushed prices up (not that it was required but still). 

Are you stating that increase in prices is a negative (which I agree there is a case for)?

Most definitely it’s a negative other than two scenarios:

1 You’ve just inherited a spare house.

2 You are cashing in, buying a tent and a Land Rover and living in lay-bys.

Other than that, something being more expensive for people to buy, I’d count as a negative.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Most definitely it’s a negative other than two scenarios:

1 You’ve just inherited a spare house.

2 You are cashing in, buying a tent and a Land Rover and living in lay-bys.

Other than that, something being more expensive for people to buy, I’d count as a negative.

Yeah that’s fine, might suit people looking to downsize too but I agree with the general sentiment.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Jeremy hunt on tv saaying people need to go bavk in as working from home doesnt guve you that "fizz" and "office banter"

Hmm id rather save the money in travel food and being stuck in a hour worth of traffic thanks 

It's genuinely quite funny seeing how weak their arguments are on this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He obviously hasn't worked in some of the offices I have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Beeb:

Low-deposit mortgage deals available to borrowers have plummeted in recent months as lenders play safer during the economic fall-out from coronavirus.

Borrowers able to offer 10% of the value of a home as a deposit could have chosen from 779 deals at the start of March, data from Moneyfacts shows.

Six months later, the choice was now down to around 60, the financial information company said.

Lenders are being stricter about who they lend to amid fears of defaults.

Some large lenders have already said they would not currently consider applications from people on furlough and who did not have a return to work date.

...more

4 hours ago, snowychap said:

Beeb:

Borrowers able to offer 10% of the value of a home as a deposit could have chosen from 779 deals at the start of March, data from Moneyfacts shows.

Six months later, the choice was now down to around 60, the financial information company said.

In reality, it’s not sixty - it's more like two or three. And even then with some pretty brutal lending requirements. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MCU said:

Wait, what... so they are encouraging WFH office staff to go back to work now?

As far as I can tell, there's no change to government advice, but senior politicians keep saying we should.

It's that classic tactic they've used for the last 6 months of sowing doubt and confusion so that they can claim it is the public's fault when the shit hits the fan.

• Like 1

Â