The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am almost certain this second wave wont happen. There is no chance they will do another national lockdown.  Worst case will be local lockdowns as we have seen more recently.

Its simply costs them too much money

So...Just so we're clear, it's not that you don't believe a second wave won't happen, as in, a second widespread national infection. It's that you don't think the government will respond appropriately? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

"We really need people to stop buying alarm clocks, and go back to paying people to tap on their windows at dawn."

What we need is people to pay through the nose to cram themselves on an overcrowded train twice a day. 

Won't someone please think of Pret A Manger's Luxembourg based owners and their multi billion euro empire, with their Nazi supporting past. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

The cheeky bastard... I have been a work non stop since March. Just because I'm in my underpants and vest at home doesn't mean i'm not working! 

I agree. I’ve worked every day. Not had a single day of furlough, not had a single penny of grant money or other benefits. I’ve worked from home and can say hand on heart I’ve been at least as productive as if I was in the office. Cheeky bastard suggesting people like me are holding the country back.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Once the fear of losing the job has passed people that are now WFH will start spending their new found savings on new things.

It won’t be on inner city sandwich shops or Costa coffee outlets but will breed life into other industries. 

Cities might be struggling but local high streets are booming buy the looks of it. Places around here like Boldmere and Mere Green seem much busier during the day than they were before. 

Just now, Xela said:

What we need is people to pay through the nose to cram themselves on an overcrowded train twice a day. 

Won't someone please think of Pret A Manger's Luxembourg based owners and their multi billion euro empire, with their Nazi supporting past. 

In all seriousness, I do struggle a little. We absolutely shouldn't have millions of people commuting just to prop up unnecessary jobs, but we are a society, and it's become clear that the middle class are making decisions that will put millions out of work. It's time for UBI, IMO, and I'll pay higher taxes to fund it rather than go back to the rat race, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Cities might be struggling but local high streets are booming buy the looks of it. Places around here like Boldmere and Mere Green seem much busier during the day than they were before. 

I went into Tamworth Castle grounds today to give the kids a run and play on the park. Even for a Sunday the town centre was surprisingly busy. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So...Just so we're clear, it's not that you don't believe a second wave won't happen, as in, a second widespread national infection. It's that you don't think the government will respond appropriately? 

Yes. It simply costs too much for a national lockdown. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not sure I disagree with you, but you need to consider your wording a bit better. Denying there will be a second wave and denying there will be a second lockdown are very different things. One is conspiracy theorist bullshit, and the other is natural cynicism of our tory scum government. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree, but that’s not what I was suggesting.

It feels like there will be a second wave. The numbers are kicking up on the run into flu season, kids and older students back into school / uni. More businesses going back to old ways. Government pushing for people to start behaving exactly how they were when the numbers spiralled before.

I was suggesting that the Governments recent push to get back in the bloody office  or else will look pretty foolish when they have to do U turn number 873 and advise people help out the NHS by working from home.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure I disagree with you, but you need to consider your wording a bit better. Denying there will be a second wave and denying there will be a second lockdown are very different things. One is conspiracy theorist bullshit, and the other is natural cynicism of our tory scum government. 

No i dont deny there wont be a second wave im referring to a second wave that will lead to a national lockdown.  That wont happen for the reason i highlighted.

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree, but that’s not what I was suggesting.

It feels like there will be a second wave. The numbers are kicking up on the run into flu season, kids and older students back into school / uni. More businesses going back to old ways. Government pushing for people to start behaving exactly how they were when the numbers spiralled before.

I was suggesting that the Governments recent push to get back in the bloody office  or else will look pretty foolish when they have to do U turn number 873 and advise people help out the NHS by working from home.

Winter without question numbers qill go up. I think thats when we will get answers about re infections with people that all already had it. Lets be realsitic thats likely to happen. You get the flu once your likely to get it again. Same with the cold.

I would like to hope we might be abit more prepared as most of us know the seriousness of it now comoared to when it first was being reported in china and we didnt really take it that seriously 

I wish people would stop talking about waves, waves are a feature of Infuenza type viruses that are far more prevalent under certain climactic conditions (Cold and dry). This is not a feature of Coronavirus. Talk of waves is utter nonsense. The summer didn't slow down the infection rate (it would have with flu), Lockdown did.

The reason a second "wave" will happen will be because we aren't social distancing enough, wearing masks etc and has nothing to do with the seasons, it's not a wave its the infection rate rising and this will keep happening if people aren't taking the right measures

Talk of waves is completely not understanding this virus and comparing it to Influenza and other seasonally affected viruses. It really isn't helpful

I wish people would stop dismissing the possibility of coronavirus getting worse in the winter months. It’s a highly contagious respiratory disease like influenza which is why they are commonly compared. It could quite easily spread more in the winter because of people spending more time indoors together and our immune systems being weaker typically in the winter due to reductions in vitamins like D. It flared and spread rapidly in the winter months initially.

The answer is that nobody knows for certain, but there absolutely could be a second wave this winter. It’s entirely possible and shouldn’t be dismissed.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I wish people would stop dismissing the possibility of coronavirus getting worse in the winter months. It’s a highly contagious respiratory disease like influenza which is why they are commonly compared. It could quite easily spread more in the winter because of people spending more time indoors together and our immune systems being weaker typically in the winter due to reductions in vitamins like D. It flared and spread rapidly in the winter months initially.

The answer is that nobody knows for certain, but there absolutely could be a second wave this winter. It’s entirely possible and shouldn’t be dismissed.

You've completely missed the point mate. I'm not dismissing the possibility of it getting worse in the winter months at all, the point is it will get worse because of societies behaviour and not because it's winter. The season's won't affect it, we will.

And we do know this much for certain. If it get worse at any time, it won't be because of the weather, it won't be a wave, it will have been there the whole time and our behaviour has allowed it to spread

The next big thing that will affect it will be well before winter, it's about to happen. Students going to University again. Lots of people moving from one place and going to live in another. I can't see how that won't send the R rate higher

A second wave this winter is possible and likely. The behaviour of the virus in the colder weather is not really understood. The behaviour of people in the winter, and the impact of reduced immune systems in the winter are likely to contribute to the increase in cases (as well as things like businesses getting back closer to normal and students returning).

Covid-19 and the flu are not the same, but there are similarities with how they can/will spread.

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Once the fear of losing the job has passed.

We're heading toward the cliff edge of the end of furlough and the likelihood of tens of thousands of redundancies, followed by a no deal brexit. 

When do you reckon that fear should be passed?

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're heading toward the cliff edge of the end of furlough and the likelihood of tens of thousands of redundancies, followed by a no deal brexit. 

When do you reckon that fear should be passed?

I agree, it won’t be for a while.

Just saying in principle, people who save money on travelling costs will eventually breathe life into other industries as they spend money on other things.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

travelling costs

This is where their "Get back in the office" will never work.

The jobs can be done from home,  with less stress, more sleep, you wont die and no commute.

They expect people to happily shell out to save the government(Boris) and to damage the environment and reduce productivity ?

• Like 1

The tories are dealing with a population that voted tory, a population that will happily save a pound by using amazon and see local shops and High Streets close.

Spend my money getting on a dirty train and wasting my time to risk my health?

There is no such thing as society, other than the unmissable office bantz with Hancock, what’s in it for me?

This is the train that turned up for the commute this morning:

EhUH4pvXkAAKUzZ?format=jpg&name=large

Fancy spending hundreds or thousands to stand armpit to chin on that for an hour twice a day every day?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The tories are dealing with a population that voted tory, a population that will happily save a pound by using amazon and see local shops and High Streets close.

Spend my money getting on a dirty train and wasting my time to risk my health?

There is no such thing as society, other than the unmissable office bantz with Hancock, what’s in it for me?

This is the train that turned up for the commute this morning:

EhUH4pvXkAAKUzZ?format=jpg&name=large

Fancy spending hundreds or thousands to stand armpit to chin on that for an hour twice a day every day?

Do you live in some communist backwater ?(No offense).😀

I know I haven't lived in England for 20 years but still,  thats never England is it ?

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
Added smile so no offense could be caused,
  • Like 1

Â