The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

18 hours ago, bickster said:

I wish people would stop talking about waves, waves are a feature of Infuenza type viruses that are far more prevalent under certain climactic conditions (Cold and dry). This is not a feature of Coronavirus. Talk of waves is utter nonsense. The summer didn't slow down the infection rate (it would have with flu), Lockdown did.

The reason a second "wave" will happen will be because we aren't social distancing enough, wearing masks etc and has nothing to do with the seasons, it's not a wave its the infection rate rising and this will keep happening if people aren't taking the right measures

Talk of waves is completely not understanding this virus and comparing it to Influenza and other seasonally affected viruses. It really isn't helpful

Coronaviruses are also seasonal - just not as pronounced as flu. Most experts think there will be some kind of seasonal pattern to Covid-19 - they’re just not sure exactly what it will look like yet.

27 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Do you live in some communist backwater ?(No offense).😀

I know I haven't lived in England for 20 years but still,  thats never England is it ?

That is indeed a state owned rail service.

The service was so shit, the government took it over, and it is improved.

Previously those awful trains never even used to turn up, now at least, they do turn up.

The trains are genuinely disgusting, but no matter, in about a decade there will be a nice multi billion pound train from Birmingham that will get you to London 18 minutes quicker.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

There is not a lot you can do in 18 minutes. 

Maybe interview everyone in Barry who has a degree or a job?

And I’m actually both those people, so we could wrap that up quite quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Previously those awful trains

Class 150's same shit that Northern Fail are currently in the process of binning.

Believe it or not those aren't the oldest trains on the network. that honour currently goes to Merseyrails rolling stock (introduced 4 years earlier) but ours is being replaced later this year, the new trains have started to arrive here from Switzerland

But I have to say Merseyrails trains are actually much better than that despite their age

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Class 150's same shit that Northern Fail are currently in the process of binning.

Believe it or not those aren't the oldest trains on the network. that honour currently goes to Merseyrails rolling stock (introduced 4 years earlier) but ours is being replaced later this year, the new trains have started to arrive here from Switzerland

But I have to say Merseyrails trains are actually much better than that despite their age

I just physically don’t fit in the seats. The distance from my arse to my knee is greater than the distance seat to seat. I’m not freakishly tall, 1.89m. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I just physically don’t fit in the seats. The distance from my arse to my knee is greater than the distance seat to seat. I’m not freakishly tall, 1.89m. 

It's often been remarked that buses are more comfortable

I think there's an underestimation of how much the 31st October and the end of furlough will impact on the economy and on the UK in general.

There are still around seven million workers on furlough, many of those in business's that have had zero income since furlough started.

There could be half a million people made redundant in November, there might be more than that.

The 31st October could have the biggest single impact of any single day in my lifetime on the economy of the country.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's an underestimation of how much the 31st October and the end of furlough will impact on the economy and on the UK in general.

There are still around seven million workers on furlough, many of those in business's that have had zero income since furlough started.

There could be half a million people made redundant in November, there might be more than that.

The 31st October could have the biggest single impact of any single day in my lifetime on the economy of the country.

I would have thought the impact of the end of furlough would have already started now companies are having to literally pay people to do eff all. We've got staff still furloughed, that we are paying to sit at home (because its cheaper) but they are coming back. We've made a whole bunch of people redundant too but we did that before we had to start paying them to do nothing. I would have thought that would be the case in a lot of companies

Of course this may not be recorded in the figures yet because its too early and the people being made redundant are serving their notice so technically aren't unemployed yet

We're actually contemplating re-employing some staff that we've made redundant right now too

At the moment though companies are still only paying a small amount of those wages - the end of govt payments on 31st October are a cliff edge.

The OBR estimates 1.1m people out of work in the couple of months after it happens.

At the moment furlough is protecting the economy from the impact - we're making a hard exit from furlough (Furexit?) and for a lot of business's that's a death sentence.

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

I would have thought the impact of the end of furlough would have already started now companies are having to literally pay people to do eff all. We've got staff still furloughed, that we are paying to sit at home (because its cheaper) but they are coming back.

It's not just cheaper though is it - at the moment you're paying a fifth of their wages - on the 1st November that either becomes 100% or they go.

On 07/09/2020 at 16:12, chrisp65 said:

The tories are dealing with a population that voted tory, a population that will happily save a pound by using amazon and see local shops and High Streets close.

Spend my money getting on a dirty train and wasting my time to risk my health?

There is no such thing as society, other than the unmissable office bantz with Hancock, what’s in it for me?

This is the train that turned up for the commute this morning:

EhUH4pvXkAAKUzZ?format=jpg&name=large

Fancy spending hundreds or thousands to stand armpit to chin on that for an hour twice a day every day?

I thought you lived in the uk not transylvania?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I'm just glad that there are no other imminent economic catastrophes that the Government has deliberately placed in their in-tray for that time period.

I mean, that would be really crazy.

And dont forget the percentage of the uk public who voted out of the EU 

Fun times ahead 🙄

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And dont forget the percentage of the uk public who voted out of the EU 

Fun times ahead 🙄

I think a lot of them wanted the economic migrants to stop sailing across the channel, thank goodness we don’t need to worry about that since leaving the EU.

Â