Pre-Match Thread

John

2 minutes ago, deeps said:

With CH on the pitch we really need to make use of set pieces today. Want a win. Will take a draw. Can see a loss. 

Jack needs to be more aggressive. I think that's the key. If he's on the sidelines like Wednesday, we won't get set pieces in good positions.

• Like 1

That's one of the least intimidating lineups Chelsea have brought to Villa Park in more than a decade.

Unfortunately it's still going to waltz past us. 3-0.

We absolutely need to show this team can score and put in a decent defensive performance. We got some of that last time out - Davis really should have had 2 but for being a foot too slow and a good save, and defensively we mostly looked better - but Sheffield United did not look entirely up to speed.

It's a shame we've obviously got slightly curtailed options - Samatta looked worn out the other day and I suspect theres others in the side struggling, as the restart is already showing that some teams are struggling and we need every single point we can get.

We’ve chopped and changed the team that many times this season, its been impossible to find any level of consistency. I’m quite happy it’s the same team again today, let’s see what a bit of familiarity can do for their teamwork. We’ve got subs up freshen it up and I’m sure they’ll be on if needed. Really hope Davis scores today, be nice to see less moaning about how shite he is. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That's one of the least intimidating lineups Chelsea have brought to Villa Park in more than a decade.

Unfortunately it's still going to waltz past us. 3-0.

We absolutely need to show this team can score and put in a decent defensive performance. We got some of that last time out - Davis really should have had 2 but for being a foot too slow and a good save, and defensively we mostly looked better - but Sheffield United did not look entirely up to speed.

It's a shame we've obviously got slightly curtailed options - Samatta looked worn out the other day and I suspect theres others in the side struggling, as the restart is already showing that some teams are struggling and we need every single point we can get.

They have a very strong bench though. This is where the 5 subs rule helps the top clubs.

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

I'm hoping empty stadium makes things easier for him.

You'd hope so but I think he's just not got that extra resilience a good goalkeeper has. Besides that he has the assets to be a good keeper, which is why he has had good (very good) games. But equally theres plenty more times he's chucked it in the net.

He's the kind of guy who is so unlucky he could try to shoot himself and miss, or survive.

Correct team for me but looking at their side it's going to be tough. All I ask for is 110% effort, desire, fight, bit more quality and no mistakes and what will be, will be - no pressure then! 

There's an argument for Elmo in at RB but I think that bit of pace with Konsa may help against the likes of Willian and co.

As for the argument of Davis starting = no goals is ridiculous. He's obviously in there as a focal point and to bring others into play and give us more possession. Samatta will get his chance and may be the more likelier scorer of the two but I can see totally why Davis would get the nod and we would stick with the one up top (especially against a side like this)

3 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Newcastle currently battering SU. Thinking playing a game a few days ago might not work in our favour. 

They've been playing with 10-men for half the match.

• Like 1