Rank every Villa manager post MON

villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Because i look at accomplishments. Not style of football or whether i like the guy or not. In fact i disliked Lambert.

Lambert was given the task to rebuild the squad on a shoe string budget. He was forced to recruit players from the lower leagues and from the youth team.

That he managed to keep us up for 2 seasons is impressive. Doesn't matter if you like the man or not.

He was operating under difficult circumstances but they all were under Lerner. We also suffered some real tonkings and embarrassments under him.

I personally try to wipe out all the managers we had under Lerner post-2011. One of the worst times to be following the club in those 5 years.

15 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

5) Sherwood – personally thought he was a pretty awful manager but he did give us a much-needed bounce in 14/15 which kept us up, was a bit unlucky the following season as Lerner threw him under the bus by selling Delph and Benteke, I thought his signings were the right idea but just didn’t pay off (Traore, Veretout, Gueye, Amavi and Ayew all had a lot of talent but weren’t utilised properly)

The traore, veretout, gueye, amavi and ayew signings were the recruitment teams moneyball approach signings, Sherwood didn't want any of them.....at all.

Sherwoods personally chosen signings were lescott and Richard's.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Sherwood last, Smith first, the rest in any order really.  Lambert and Garde got a pretty rough hand from Randy.

This sums my feelings up perfectly. 

I despise Sherwood so much it gives me energy. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Deano way out in front for me, and I agree we are where we are now because of him....but I’d disagree with your assessment that Bruce was part of our demise.

We were still a basket case of a Club when he took over. In fact we hadn’t reached our lowest. We could’ve sunk without trace.

I think it’d be a shame if his contribution to preventing that got lost.

The thing about Smith compared to most the others is he’s been heavily backed. This makes it an unfair comparison in my view. Yes he had to do a big rebuild but this is still his squad and we’ve spent more under him than any manager since O’Neill.

There is a lot of positivity under Dean but the simple fact is we’re battling relegation again and making the same mistakes most weeks and still reliant on one player like we were when we had Benteke for all those years. Whether we went up a year too early or not is irrelevant, and if we go back down again we’ll be back to where we were when we started under him.

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The thing about Smith compared to most the others is he’s been heavily backed. This makes it an unfair comparison in my view. Yes he had to do a big rebuild but this is still his squad and we’ve spent more under him than any manager since O’Neill.

There is a lot of positivity under Dean but the simple fact is we’re battling relegation again and making the same mistakes most weeks and still reliant on one player like we were when we had Benteke for all those years. Whether we went up a year too early or not is irrelevant, and if we go back down again we’ll be back to where we were when we started under him.

I can understand why you’ve mentioned this but I’m not getting into the heavily subjective debate of who has or hasn’t been backed and by how much. I think they all have been fwiw.

Comparing lower division to PL is also a bit skewered.

We were the Man City or PSG of the Championship while in the PL we've been running on a budget or rebuilding from scratch as it were this season.

shows how piss poor we've been in the last decade when you see McLeish being ranked somewhere in the middle

also shows how out of general opinion and consideration we and definitely blues are

it was an absolutely outrageous appointment

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The traore, veretout, gueye, amavi and ayew signings were the recruitment teams moneyball approach signings, Sherwood didn't want any of them.....at all.

Sherwoods personally chosen signings were lescott and Richard's.

Good point. To be honest it's all fine lines because pretty much all of our managers under Lerner post-2011 were terrible. And for a brief period under Sherwood we were relatively exciting and managed to win at Spurs and run Man City close at the Etihad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

6th Mcleish - yes he kept us up but he also had a squad that had finished top 10 4 seasons in a row (minus a few big sales). His appointment was the beginning of the end.  Shocking appointment.

4th Houllier - changed too much too quickly. I think he was on the right path though. 

I pretty much agree with your list, but I never really liked Houllier and I think that 9th place finish largely masks a season spent hovering above the relegation zone IIRC - a team that had finished 6th three seasons in a row. It was surprise wins against Arsenal and Liverpool under McAllister in the last games of the season that launched us up the table.

How he acted at Anfield, plus listening to Petrov talk him about him on the interview he did with the Villa View, Houllier is much further down my rankings than other peoples. Just my opinion of course!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

I can understand why you’ve mentioned this but I’m not getting into the heavily subjective debate of who has or hasn’t been backed and by how much. I think they all have been fwiw.

I don't think it's that subjective tbf. Garde, for example, was utterly hung out to dry. 

Going back to your point about Bruce, I totally agree that he wasn't part of our demise - he stabilised us massively and got a lot of decent results. He's a limited manager, sure, but he's very good at the few things he can do and it's enough to, for example, keep up a team like Newcastle. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

He was operating under difficult circumstances but they all were under Lerner. We also suffered some real tonkings and embarrassments under him.

I personally try to wipe out all the managers we had under Lerner post-2011. One of the worst times to be following the club in those 5 years.

But Sherwood didn't even survive for a full season. He had his manager bounce effect and that's it.

We played better football under Lambert than what we ever did under McLeish. Yeah we played some horrible stuff under Lambert as well. Very mixed bag really.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

shows how piss poor we've been in the last decade when you see McLeish being ranked somewhere in the middle

also shows how out of general opinion and consideration we and definitely blues are

It's still the most baffling decision the club has made in my 30 odd years as a fan.

I genuinely don't understand what they were thinking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Villa View did an interview with Petrov and the players seemed to like McLeish. But it was never going to worked out him coming straight from the Blues.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

How he acted at Anfield, plus listening to Petrov talk him about him on the interview he did with the Villa View, Houllier is much further down my rankings than other peoples. Just my opinion of course!

Fell out with Petrov, Gabby, Dunne, Carew, Collins think was one more. All in about 8 months 

A good manager waits until pre-season to clean up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I pretty much agree with your list, but I never really liked Houllier and I think that 9th place finish largely masks a season spent hovering above the relegation zone IIRC - a team that had finished 6th three seasons in a row. It was surprise wins against Arsenal and Liverpool under McAllister in the last games of the season that launched us up the table.

I agree totally, he got bailed out by Randy in the January and it was when Houllier was ill that we picked up the points to take us mid table.  I'd much rather Houllier was Director Of Football with a young coach like Lambert at the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But Sherwood didn't even survive for a full season. He had his manager bounce effect and that's it.

We played better football under Lambert than what we ever did under McLeish. Yeah we played some horrible stuff under Lambert as well. Very mixed bag really.

Fair point. I accept your opinion even though I don't fully agree. And I had Lambert above Sherwood and McLeish in my list anyway. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Villa View did an interview with Petrov and the players seemed to like McLeish. But it was never going to worked out him coming straight from relegating the Blues playing absolutely awful dogshit football that no one wanted to see and knew it would never take us anywhere other than backwards

FTFY

to simply say it was a blues thing is and was always bollocks

• Like 2

Garde was awful but no one could have turned that shit show round, it was like putting him in charge of the titanic after it hit the iceberg.

Sherwood at least gave us some good memories, the cup semi final, wins over West Brom, unfortunately he's method of management didn't work when we signed a load of no uppers from the French league

Houiller I've said was a big mistake, not the appointment but sacking him, he knew the recognised the shit that mon had left and would've sorted it imo

Under Lambert I've never seen such a erratic continued run of form, beat Chelsea one week then lose 4 in a row then beat Liverpool and lose 4 in a row again. 

McLeish by far the worst, playing 4 right backs against spurs with herd as an auxiliary right back to combat bale, Heskey centre midfield and left wing, signing nzogbia, the fabled 352 Dutch style football. It was just shit from start to finish

Â