Rank every Villa manager post MON

villalad21

Ok this is a really tough one. We've had a bunch of poor managers and I'm sure loads of you will disagree with my ranking. I'll rank them from worst to best.

8th RDM. There's nothing much to say. Bottom half of the table in Championship with one of the biggest budgets.

7th Garde. Shocking. Can't remember anything else but losing.

6th Sherwood. Got his manager bounce effect and managed to have us escape relegation but next season proved what a poor manager he is.

5th Bruce. Stabilized us somewhat after RDM and brought in some decent players but at the end of the day didn't achieve anything.

4th Smith. Here the mob will come chasing after me. Finishing 5th and winning the play offs with one of the best squads in the league is no great achievement for me. Worst defensive stats in the league after 140 million spent doesn't look very impressing. Likely to get relegated.

3rd McLeish. Football was dog s***. Highly uninspiring coach. He managed not getting relegated which is why I have him 3rd. Me placing him third just tells you what we've been dealing with for this decade.

2nd Houllier Football was somewhere better than under McLeish

1st Lambert. This may shock some people but yes, Lambert. Managed to avoid relegation for 2 seasons with a dog s*** squad. To me it's still impressing. With the little resources he had and what he managed to achieve is why he is number 1.

We often talk about Smith's difficult task of rebuilding the squad. Lambert had to do the same thing. But with peanuts. He was forced to recruit players from the lower league.

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1

Did you really need another thread to dangle this bait.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

4th Smith. Here the mob will come chasing after me. Finishing 5th and winning the play offs with one of the best squads in the league is no great achievement for me. Worst defensive stats in the league after 140 million spent doesn't look very impressing. Likely to get relegated.

3rd McLeish

Let’s see who bites...

• Haha 2

Stopped reading once i saw Smith's name

Edit: you know what, going to give my answer as it's not a bad idea for a thread even if it's started by a troll

8th: Garde

7th: McLeish

6th: RDM

5th: Sherwood

4th: Houlier

3rd: Bruce

2nd: Lambert

1st: Smith

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

What an absolute shower of shit we've had for managers.

Granted we've changed owners more than some teams change managers but where is the red line with managers? 

I get Houllier appointment, but from that to McLeish? Then I guess Lambert is Scottish so there is that.

And then on to Sherwood who isn't a manager but just some guy who used to play football and same goes for Garde I don't even think wanted to be a manager, at least not then.

RDM? Same there he hasn't even managed since. Bruce was a panic appointment, job for the boys short term thinking that stayed on too long.

Smith? Again a total 180, thank god. Worked wonders in the Championship, PL probably a couple of years too soon for the PL

Not even a fraction of a hint that any of our appointments have been thought over, well planned or done with long term thinking.

Shambles of a club for so long. Would be great if these new guys know what they are doing. Time will tell, just hope they don't lose interest.

As for ranking the managers? Smith goes first since, well promotion (and a cup run). After that I don't care. At least Houllier tried to change stuff and had an idea moving forward. He failed thou.

Just utter crap, no real point ranking the most polished turds.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sne said:

What an absolute shower of shit we've had for managers.

Granted we've changed owners more than some teams change managers but where is the red line with managers? 

I get Houllier appointment, but from that to McLeish? Then I guess Lambert is Scottish so there is that.

And then on to Sherwood who isn't a manager but just some guy who used to play football and same goes for Garde I don't even think wanted to be a manager, at least not then.

RDM? Same there he hasn't even managed since. Bruce was a panic appointment, job for the boys short term thinking that stayed on too long.

Smith? Again a total 180, thank god. Worked wonders in the Championship, PL probably a couple of years too soon for the PL

Not even a fraction of a hint that any of our appointments have been thought over, well planned or done with long term thinking.

Shambles of a club for so long. Would be great if these new guys know what they are doing. Time will tell, just hope they don't lose interest.

As for ranking the managers? Smith goes first since, well promotion (and a cup run). After that I don't care. At least Houllier tried to change stuff and had an idea moving forward. He failed thou.

Just utter crap, no real point ranking the most polished turds.

Doesn't your post just highlight the need of the changes we currently are working on, i.e. a club philosophy and way of playing football that runs through the club. Thus new managers will suit the club and not making the club adapt to a new manager. 

Anyway, this is deffo a thread that should be closed. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Doesn't your post just highlight the need of the changes we currently are working on, i.e. a club philosophy and way of playing football that runs through the club. Thus new managers will suit the club and not making the club adapt to a new manager. 

Anyway, this is deffo a thread that should be closed. 

Yeah I hope that's what the club is working towards.

Smith was also a panic appointment so if he is what the club want's going forward remains to be seen, new contract and all.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ah f**k it. On the train so I’ll join in. 

8th Garde - Truly awful appointment 

7th RDM - wasn’t really given long enough but the lack of balance in the team he assembled was a joke.

6th Mcleish - yes he kept us up but he also had a squad that had finished top 10 4 seasons in a row (minus a few big sales). His appointment was the beginning of the end.  Shocking appointment.

5th Sherwood - didn’t really know what he was doing but kept us up and got us to an FA cup final. The win at Wembley over Liverpool is a great memory.

4th Houllier - changed too much too quickly. I think he was on the right path though. 

3rd - Bruce - he had a good crack at getting us up. I’d have him further down for how he left our defence if the other appointments weren't so bad. 

2nd - Lambert - it was dire but some how he managed to keep us up each season on a shoe string budget. 

1st - Smith - Bought the crowds back to Villa park. Got us 10 wins in a row. Played some of the best football in years. Got us 2 Wembley appearances, one being one of the best memories in recent history. 

Yes struggling this season. But will never forget what he achieved last season and the joy he bought back to the club after years of misery.

Agree with this

Since O’Neill, we’ve had a lot of bad managers. It’s difficult because none of them have really done great. I’d say from worst to best:

9) Remi Garde – terrible rein. I actually think he could have been a good manager but he took over a side that wasn’t interested.

8. Eric Black – in charge for hardly any time but clearly didn’t know what to do

7) Di Matteo – appointed on the back of his CL success with Chelsea, but didn’t have a clue in all honesty

6) McLeish – dire football, no personality, awful signings, think we won 7 games all season but stayed up due to drawing a lot of games

5) Sherwood – personally thought he was a pretty awful manager but he did give us a much-needed bounce in 14/15 which kept us up, was a bit unlucky the following season as Lerner threw him under the bus by selling Delph and Benteke, I thought his signings were the right idea but just didn’t pay off (Traore, Veretout, Gueye, Amavi and Ayew all had a lot of talent but weren’t utilised properly)

4) Lambert - how on earth you have him so high I don’t understand, he had a tough time here under Lerner but had the personality of a wet fish, we were smashed 8-0 by Chelsea while he was here, we got knocked out of the League Cup by feckin Bradford, the nice football we were supposed to play never materialised, he did sign Benteke and Vlaar though

3) Smith – very good Championship manager but relied on one player to get us up (remember that terrible form between December and March), plays attacking football, but very naïve manager, can’t get his side to defend properly, I hope I’m proven wrong about him but as he still hasn’t changed his ways I think he’ll be gone by the end of the season

2) Bruce – defensive manager but he stabilised us, we were terrible before he came, he got us to the playoff final in his first full season, but deserved to go when he did (it wasn’t working), signings were very good I’d say but get that there were too many loans and older players, I’ll get criticised for putting him above Dean but to be honest there’s not too much between them in what they’ve done for us as I think Smith would have lost to that Fulham team in 17/18 as well

1) Houllier – actually liked him, personally thought he was better than O’Neill but operating under tighter circumstances (though did get to sign Bent), best football we’ve played in the last 10 years was under him, but we did struggle a lot that season so many Villa fans write him off as being terrible, if he’d stayed on and been backed we wouldn’t have gone the way we did

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

how on earth you have him so high I don’t understand

Because i look at accomplishments. Not style of football or whether i like the guy or not. In fact i disliked Lambert.

Lambert was given the task to rebuild the squad on a shoe string budget. He was forced to recruit players from the lower leagues and from the youth team.

That he managed to keep us up for 2 seasons is impressive. Doesn't matter if you like the man or not.

Â