Rank every Villa manager post MON

villalad21

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well you knew enough to mention the goals against column with zero context. It's not that we needed better players, we just needed players full stop. We had 1 senior hobbled CB at the club and another being played at RB until Smith came in. We then lost that senior CB to the injury he should have been on the sidelines with to begin with and only had Tuanzebe (who then got injured soon after) until we recalled Elphick and signed Mings and Hause by the end of January. That's half of the season already.

I make no apologies for having the utmost respect for being able to contain the opposition, deny them any initiative in a game and being hard to beat.

I was brought up on it with some fine managers in the 70's......and despite 50 years on, I am not going to change my view on it now.

But I will tell you this go back through as many years of this league as you choose, even the first division and a predominate feature is the teams who concede the most, go down.

check it out......you may find the odd exception.....just hoping we are it.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We had no defenders, because Terry Retired, Chester was injured, Elphick was not in favour after too many errors and on his way.....and the club declared, near bankrupcy, we had a fraud running it, so hadn't got a pot to piss inand a manger with his finger in the dam......Just one sensible guy, who weighed all this up and give a respectful glance over his shoulder and said this team is good enough to go up.....and I give credit to Dean Smith for that and ultimately, got what he deserved.....where his predesesor, just missed out by a gnats doodah.....Hence his initial comments of inheriting a good team, his words not mine.

Actually we did have a pot to piss in as evidenced by us signing Abraham, El Ghazi (good signings) and most egregiously Yannick Bolasie. The owners came in in July, well before the season started and the transfer window ended. Going into the season with a solitary senior CB (who was also injured) is criminal no matter how you slice it.

I don't want to get into how we got promoted and all that, just to point out that it is just wrong to lay the blame of our goals against column that season at Smith's door, especially since after he got in a couple of players we ended up having the best defence in the league. This season is a completely different story of course.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Actually we did have a pot to piss in as evidenced by us signing Abraham, El Ghazi (good signings) and most egregiously Yannick Bolasie. The owners came in in July, well before the season started and the transfer window ended. Going into the season with a solitary senior CB (who was also injured) is criminal no matter how you slice it.

I don't want to get into how we got promoted and all that, just to point out that it is just wrong to lay the blame of our goals against column that season at Smith's door, especially since after he got in a couple of players we ended up having the best defence in the league. This season is a completely different story of course.

Well, when you can't pay a tax bill and get threatened with closure we will have to agree to disagree on that.

Anyway I never mentioned Smith in terms of blame......I said 61 goals against is not a good habit to get in to despite promotion and its followed on this season with 52 in 27 games.....i call that a trend....but in this division goals "for" are harder to come by, naturally.

I never mentioned Smith,Bruce or uncle Tom Cobley, thats your call.

I merely stated a fact, I am not comfortbale with....and I''m not.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, when you can't pay a tax bill and get threatened with closure we will have to agree to disagree on that.

Anyway I never mentioned Smith in terms of blame......I said 61 goals against is not a good habit to get in to despite promotion and its followed on this season with 52 in 27 games.....i call that a trend....but in this division goals "for" are harder to come by, naturally.

I never mentioned Smith,Bruce or uncle Tom Cobley, thats your call.

I merely stated a fact, I am not comfortbale with....and I''m not.

By calling it a trend you're implying he's responsible for the 61 goals against number as well, which again if anything, looking at the evidence the opposite is true. I'm not bringing up any names too, just saying it wasn't him. This season lays squarely at his feet though.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

By calling it a trend you're implying he's responsible for the 61 goals against number as well, which again if anything, looking at the evidence the opposite is true. I'm not bringing up any names too, just saying it wasn't him. This season lays squarely at his feet though.

I genuinely don't know where the problem lies, it may be a combination.

But I say again, we have to address it, to have an notion of respectability.

It's like ranking the last ten times you got kicked in the bollocks.   Pretty well awful to a man, Smith included in terms of Premier League performances. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’d put Gary Mac fairly high up 

He had some great results after Houllier had his power cut

Seem to remember beating Arsenal away and Liverpool during his limited run

Got a lot of goals out of DB9 too

On 06/03/2020 at 19:56, Risso said:

It's like ranking the last ten times you got kicked in the bollocks.   Pretty well awful to a man, Smith included in terms of Premier League performances. 

Quality.

but some ****ing indictment on us.

Edited by TRO

On 06/03/2020 at 16:29, sne said:

Roughly £190-220m spent on wages over 3 Championship seasons...

WOW.....some value for money, hey

Edited by TRO
  • Sad 1

On 06/03/2020 at 16:32, TRO said:

I genuinely don't know where the problem lies, it may be a combination.

But I say again, we have to address it, to have any notion of respectability.

Â