Rank every Villa manager post MON

villalad21

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

You have to be kidding, Bannan is a championship player at best.

Yeah that’s how he’s ended up. I think he had the ability to have a more successful career, but with his body type needed to work much harder on his strength & conditioning, and play in teams that suited his abilities.

You don’t rate him at all? I think there’s a real player there, but too late now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Reading this thread it seems pretty much everybody has put Smith top of the list. Not really sure what the OP expected out of this thread. Whether he is the right man for the job right now only time will tell. But we all rate him much higher than the crap that preceded him.  There is no mob.

You’re just wrong and we’re all right ;)

As I said on the first page it’s just trolling as usual.  I know they will disagree and defend themselves which is fair enough but happens too often.  I would really like to know if they are a Villa fan with wildly differing opinions on most topics to the majority on this site or are they just trolling whether a villa fan or supporter of another team.  I know what they will say but I am interested because if a Villa fan and not trolling it’s fascinating how differing their opinions are....

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah that’s how he’s ended up. I think he had the ability to have a more successful career, but with his body type needed to work much harder on his strength & conditioning, and play in teams that suited his abilities.

You don’t rate him at all? I think there’s a real player there, but too late now.

I really didn’t, I remember SGC always loving him on here and I was sitting there watching him play for us I just couldn’t see it.  A few nice touches but just not the potential (for me).  A good championship level player but just didn’t see anything more when he was with us or since he’s left when I’ve seen him on tv.

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can recommend an excellent book, “The Weir and The Wonderful” published by the club. It’s a collection of photographs, many snapped behind the scenes, by legendary club photographer Terry Weir. I’m looking through it now, I think the wife might be peeling onions.....

Wrong thread sorry folks!

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ah f**k it. On the train so I’ll join in. 

8th Garde - Truly awful appointment 

7th RDM - wasn’t really given long enough but the lack of balance in the team he assembled was a joke.

6th Mcleish - yes he kept us up but he also had a squad that had finished top 10 4 seasons in a row (minus a few big sales). His appointment was the beginning of the end.  Shocking appointment.

5th Sherwood - didn’t really know what he was doing but kept us up and got us to an FA cup final. The win at Wembley over Liverpool is a great memory.

4th Houllier - changed too much too quickly. I think he was on the right path though. 

3rd - Bruce - he had a good crack at getting us up. I’d have him further down for how he left our defence if the other appointments weren't so bad. 

2nd - Lambert - it was dire but some how he managed to keep us up each season on a shoe string budget. 

1st - Smith - Bought the crowds back to Villa park. Got us 10 wins in a row. Played some of the best football in years. Got us 2 Wembley appearances, one being one of the best memories in recent history. 

Yes struggling this season. But will never forget what he achieved last season and the joy he bought back to the club after years of misery.

I think this. 

Lambert and Smith was close. Lambert got screwed over a bit whilst manager.

A lot of these mangers time just blur into one great big ball of shitness.

Edited by Bugzy1991
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You have to be kidding, Bannan is a championship player at best.

I remember when bannan first broke through, houllier really liked him and in a few of his early games he was getting rave reviews, there were even some reports of Barcelona watching him.

Granted Barcelona watching him was probably nonsense, but dont be hung upon where he is now, that's what he developed in to, when he first broke through at times his feet were magic, I clearly remember pundits waxing lyrical about him, he did have a bit of mini messi about him when he was a teen.

Now I dont know if he would have been a better player and developed in to at least a decent/average prem player with the right guidance, suppose we will never know.

On another note, I would include MON in this list, mainly because there is a good arguement that a) he actually failed, and b) his spending and tantrum leading to him walking out was the start of our demise.

If you look back at the squad MON had at the peak of villas team at that time, it was a top team and the expectation was a champions cup qualification league finish, he effectively failed twice to get that, which then led to Lerner tuning off the money taps, and MON having a tantrum and walking out just before the season starts, then from that the demise began.

If MON had actually succeeded as "expected" with that team, who knows where we would be now......

We had some great players under MON, friedel, bouma, barry, downing (eh, was ok), young, Milner, carew (17 goals in 2009), delph, petrov, gabby (13 goals in 2009), Laursen, Mellberg, to name but a few.

Edited by MaVilla

7 hours ago, TRO said:

The funny thing for me is, if you look at Burnley and Sheff Utd as just 2 examples, i would guess very few of their players would attract us....we seem to be a bit obsessed with footballing types, who ironically are not that good anyway....creative players are great, but they have to BE creative, not just watch games pass them by.

I think we need a few more of their types ,a few durable, "man for all seasons" types, who can stop the opposition bullying us.....the townsends, the richardsons, the Barry's, the petrov's.....where have they all gone?

That is one problem, but another problem is our lack of pace. We have lots of "quick" players, but nobody where you look at them and say their pace is a standout attribute.

Nigel Pearson was on the commentary team tonight for Shef Wed v Man City, and he was talking about how Wednesday were parking the bus but didn't have the pace and individual quality in attack to hit them on the break. Comparing it with his Watford side.

I think we have the same problem. We don't have anyone who can hit a team on the break like Sarr at Watford, or Saint Maximin and Almiron at Newcastle, or Zaha, Schlupp, Townsend, etc. at Palace. It means we really have to create goals with good build-up play, and that's a much bigger ask for a weak side.

When we had players like Gabby hitting teams on the break, and Carew, Laursen, Heskey, Benteke, etc. going up for set pieces, we could play unadventurous hoofball, terrible build up play, and still pick up points.

(I'd say actually, if you look at a lot of those "shit" teams who somehow pick up points - Newcastle and Palace being the biggest culprits - they always have a lot of pace and athleticism.)

So yes, you can pin it on a lack of defensive solidity and intensity in the middle of the park, but I think part of the problem is we can't tactically play that deep "low block" or whatever they call it now, because we would never create anything going forward.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

I wouldn't rate RDM that low.

As I can remember, we drew a lot of games in his short stint and that was mostly to a few silly mistakes by Gollini. We went down, we expected to walk the league, but reality hit hard.

Funnily enough, Gollini was a great buy and is doing well at Atalanta. Just teething problems as you often get with young keepers.

• Like 1

MON was shit and overrated by many and left us in the lurch after going out of his way to saddle us with overpaid pensioner rubbish. It was Robertson that had us playing decent and MON was a basket case anywhere he went after they parted ways after Villa. MON screwed Sunderland after us. 

P.S. **** MON the egotistical little clearing in the woods

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I do find it interesting how many people have rated Lambert very high in their lists. The hindsight of time has perhaps made people revise their opinions of him. Personally, I always think he did a very good job for us considering the circumstances but it's only relatively recently people are beginning to recognise that.

However, that's not to say we didn't break him in the end! We destroyed him and his career and he's never been the same since. Much like a number of strikers, our managers never go on to anything better as we suck they lives out of them!

Likeability-wise; Smith, RDM, Houllier, Lambert, Bruce... The rest.... McLeish

Ability-wise; Houllier, Lambert, Smith, Bruce... The rest... Sherwood

Results-wise; Smith, Lambert, Bruce, Sherwood...the rest... Garde

Overall? Can't say until Smith finishes his tenure. I think potentially this team is better than some Lambert kept up so if he keeps us in the Premier League then Smith takes the No.1 spot, he's had more support from ownership than Lambert had and been able to build up/ride optimism rather than forever be fire-fighting. We get relegated then I'll maintain Lambert did the best with the resouces available.

Houllier way too high for me and Sherwood shouldn't be bottom for that brief two month spell when there was a real buzz and feelgood factor about us but aside from those it's just a terrible list of names for the top level. Bunch of rookie types which the challenge of the job was far too much and Houllier was way past it, similar to us signing the likes of Ginola and Pires on the pitch who made little impact as they could hardly run.

Ironically the one who perhaps had the level of experience required given he'd managed a national team and many seasons in CL was McLeish but given where he came from and his negative football it was never going to work.

For the last two it was just hard work watching us under Steve Bruce. Yes he did get us to a play off final but let's remember Cardiff under Warnock couldn't afford to sign likes of Snodgrass and John Terry yet they still comfortably got 2nd ahead of us. Even in his last few months he got Tammy Abraham delivered and we still could barely win a game with him scoring which lead to his sacking.

Smith done fine but again most of that is judging him in the championship while all his predecessors bar one had premier league and a club in major decline. He's still got so much to learn at this level.

Sherwood saved us from certain relegation and got us to an FA Cup final. Relegation was inevitable we were too close to the brink too many times

Can think of at least 4 Villa managers who done worse

• Like 1

Lambert ruined Villa for fans as a spectacle as much as Lerner, the goalless streaks and non attacking football was criminal. Then was the 3 Christmas game period we lost 0-15. 

Not to mention Bradford possibly the most embarrassing Villa result in history 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think he would have made a difference.

I like the look of Phillips but it's hard to say how he'd have done with us this season. Before we signed Nakamba many were saying he could be the new Kante, also Luiz was being massively hyped before we signed him, and while both of those have had good games for us and clearly have talent, they've also had many bad games and have struggled with the step up to this league.

Phillips is a 'harder' type of player than them though and used to the English physicality, he's also very disciplined in the DM role and probably got a better range of passing than those two and has much better work rate, so maybe we should have paid the money. Leeds were asking for a stupidly high price though given he was unproven at the top level, IIRC it was £25-30mil. 

• Like 1

I think Sherwood gets way more grief than he deserves. He breathed life into us at the end of that season and had to eat a shit sandwich of conditions he didn't ask for at the start of the next. Players he didn't want and a disinterested owner looking to do one.
I think its ruined a potentially good management career too, but maybe I'm giving him more credit than he deserves, I don't know.

I liked him and he always speaks well of us.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

I think Sherwood gets way more grief than he deserves. He breathed life into us at the end of that season and had to eat a shit sandwich of conditions he didn't ask for at the start of the next. Players he didn't want and a disinterested owner looking to do one.
I think its ruined a potentially good management career too, but maybe I'm giving him more credit than he deserves, I don't know.

But you can't judge a manager after his first 2 months.

He was a disaster in his first full season.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

He is and has always been absolutely bloody clueless. He's a chancer who could initially talk a good game but as soon as he was able to have any direct influence, such as signings or tactics, he was a bloody disaster. If you want to talk about careers getting ruined, look no further than Lambert. He had sod all to work with. 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sherwood saved us from certain relegation and got us to an FA Cup final. Relegation was inevitable we were too close to the brink too many times

Can think of at least 4 Villa managers who done worse

Actually quite surprised so many on here hate Sherwood. Yes to a degree he was a charlatan and tactically seemed below par, but then so were all the others including our current one based on the season so far. 

The end of that 14/15 season was actually quite exciting, we beat the Boing Boing Baggies and the bin dippers in the FA Cup, and gave City a good game at the Etihad (we’ve tended to get battered there since they got bought by the oil barons). Plus got good wins and played well in the league against Spurs, Sunderland, Everton and Wet Spam. The end of the season ended badly after being hammered 6-1 to Southampton and 4-0 to Arsenal and obviously the next season we were shocking under all our managers, but Sherwood had to sell our only two decent players.

Not at all a great manager by any means, but in a list full of turds he isn’t the worst one and gave us a couple of nice memories at least.

• Like 1

Â