What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

I love cooking, I can cook pretty much anything providing the instructions are in front of me.

Rice and Chicken with peas hmm.

This is what I dont always understand when people say they cant cook.

Can you find a recipe off the bbc website & follow a set of very simple instructions?

Yes? Well then, you CAN cook numbnuts.

If you've got a food processor with an emulsifier - that's always another option.

Havnt got a processor, not sure i would ever use it as its just as easy to slice the veg etc.

I am on the look out for a good chefs knife.

If you're happy to chop the veg, I don't see the attraction of a soup maker. From what I can see, it's just a less controllable way to saute a small volume of things combined with a blender.

I should think you'd be better off just making it in a saucepan and blending it, either with a stick blender (which I find gives perfectly smooth blends) or a jug blender if you really want something more high-powered. That would be cheaper, you could have something which would do things like smoothies as well, and you're not limited to whatever volume will fit the soup maker, because you could make a big pan full and blend it in stages.

Or else go the whole hog and get a Thermomix...

If you've got a food processor with an emulsifier - that's always another option.

Havnt got a processor, not sure i would ever use it as its just as easy to slice the veg etc.

I am on the look out for a good chefs knife.

If you're happy to chop the veg, I don't see the attraction of a soup maker. From what I can see, it's just a less controllable way to saute a small volume of things combined with a blender.

I should think you'd be better off just making it in a saucepan and blending it, either with a stick blender (which I find gives perfectly smooth blends) or a jug blender if you really want something more high-powered. That would be cheaper, you could have something which would do things like smoothies as well, and you're not limited to whatever volume will fit the soup maker, because you could make a big pan full and blend it in stages.

Or else go the whole hog and get a Thermomix...

I meant when chopping leeks, slicing pototato's for dauphinoise potatos, dicing onion, peppers etc. im happy using a knife and chopping board so wouldnt really benefit from a procesor.

So you think just chopping up the veg etc. and using a stick blender to blend?

Also where to get a good quality chefs knife?

Works for me. And it means you're not tied to the volume the soup maker would contain, and also you can make two soups at the same time, handy if you've got limited time and you want to freeze some.

As for knives, I like Global. Bit expensive, but really good quality and feel good to use. 20cm cooks knife is a good size, great for cutting, chopping, pasting garlic, boning. About £70 from here.

John Lewis do a similar style, much cheaper at £20, depends how much use you'll make of it and how much you want to splash out. Personally, I think one really good versatile kitchen knife is worth investing in. Probably last longer than anything else in the kitchen, and see more use.

Works for me. And it means you're not tied to the volume the soup maker would contain, and also you can make two soups at the same time, handy if you've got limited time and you want to freeze some.

As for knives, I like Global. Bit expensive, but really good quality and feel good to use. 20cm cooks knife is a good size, great for cutting, chopping, pasting garlic, boning. About £70 from here.

John Lewis do a similar style, much cheaper at £20, depends how much use you'll make of it and how much you want to splash out. Personally, I think one really good versatile kitchen knife is worth investing in. Probably last longer than anything else in the kitchen, and see more use.

Cheers for the advice :thumb:

dunno what i am gunna do tonight...2 days before payday so options are very very limited

either levi roots chicken (straight from the freezer) with chips

a beef madras (straight from the freezer)

or gammon egg and chips

I think that is the whole contect of my fridge freezer and cupboards

oh oh oh I just remembered I have got some marmite in...but no bread and no butter...and half a box of golden grahams...but no milk

I fondly remember my time at University. Especially that period when all the lazy students chucked stuff away.

In a small walk around the halls me and my mate picked up :

A DAB stereo

A Bookcase

A 'Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher Poster'

....and to come back on topic, a Tefel 'hot spot' griddle. Brand new still in it's packaging.

Â