Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Its definitely is his style but it doesn't make him a good player. Its what's holding him back. 

Holding him back how? He's 18 playing PL football and the star of his youth level for England 

The only English 18 year doing better than him is jude Bellingham 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I definitely lipread him saying "remember what Zatman said" to a teammate.

He did at one point say "I will sign a new contract when we get a new manager" 😛

• Haha 2

Really makes me wonder what wage he was demanding, what wage we were offering, and what wage he'll now be demanding. And of course, whether it was just wage differences putting him off signing.

He's going to be in mega mega demand. If we convince him to sign a long term contract we've got the hottest property on the market.

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

There's a reason why Gerrard has been reluctant to give him more minutes.

Yes, it’s because he’s 18 and basically no-one his age is getting many minutes in the Premier League these days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Its definitely is his style but it doesn't make him a good player. Its what's holding him back. 

Everyone said the same about Grealish. Difference is he was 22 when they were saying it.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Not only did "everyone" not say it, no one did.

To be fair by ‘everyone’ I absolutely did not mean ‘everyone’, I meant those who like to jump on young players. But plenty said it. If you look on the Grealish thread on this very website from the first couple of months of our first season back in the Prem it is a repeated claim, and plenty were saying he wouldn’t cut it. The fact that three years later he was sold for £100m always reminds me to take fan views of player development with a pinch of salt.

Edit - I am not trying to say I think Carney will be as good as Grealish. Just pointing out the particular criticism of being too casual on the ball very much mirrors some of the criticism of a young (but several years older than Carney) Jack. 

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

I'm coming round to the belief that he will stay and will sign on. usually by now if a youth player is going you get more than a signal from his potential destination as the deal tends to be done early. I think the delay is indeed agent based but more that he wants Chuk to show his worth in the U-19s and then to go back to Villa saying, "look he's great we want 20k per week" (or some such conversation). I have now shifted full throttle and think he'll sign next week or soon after.

Obviously by the time you lot read this it'll be plastered over the news that he's signed for Dortmund or someone.

He didn't impress me to be honest.

He looked OK, but didn't look great out of possession second half. Head down, jogging around at times when the ball is very much still in play for him.

I expect he and most of the team are pretty tired.

If he won't sign a contract, I'd draw a line in the sand this pre-season. Off you pop back to the youth team.

12 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Really makes me wonder what wage he was demanding, what wage we were offering, and what wage he'll now be demanding. And of course, whether it was just wage differences putting him off signing.

He's going to be in mega mega demand. If we convince him to sign a long term contract we've got the hottest property on the market.

Said before it sounds daft but if he's sat on the bench next to Sanson and nakmaba thinking I have a better chance to get on today, I play more minutes all season, these guys are on £50k a week... 

The club is in a difficult position because his age talent and potential suggests he should be worth x amount but his role in the squad suggests he should be worth y amount, sign him to a 5 year deal and we also have to factor in where we think he should be in 3 or 4 years time

Timmy signed his contract which is a benchmark for the club but we'll also still be shopping for another CM (hopefully) and / or be negotiating with Luiz, either way the midfielders on average will earn circa £65k so there's another benchmark for his agent, the answer will be somewhere in the middle 

Its definitley not as easy as if he wants to be here he'd have signed already

I think he'll stay and he'll get an eye watering amount of money, circa £30-40k a week

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Said before it sounds daft but if he's sat on the bench next to Sanson and nakmaba thinking I have a better chance to get on today, I play more minutes all season, these guys are on £50k a week... 

The club is in a difficult position because his age talent and potential suggests he should be worth x amount but his role in the squad suggests he should be worth y amount, sign him to a 5 year deal and we also have to factor in where we think he should be in 3 or 4 years time

Timmy signed his contract which is a benchmark for the club but we'll also still be shopping for another CM (hopefully) and / or be negotiating with Luiz, either way the midfielders on average will earn circa £65k so there's another benchmark for his agent, the answer will be somewhere in the middle 

Its definitley not as easy as if he wants to be here he'd have signed already

I think he'll stay and he'll get an eye watering amount of money, circa £30-40k a week

Good summary. 40k sounds like the ballpark figure we'll need to me. Especially if a player like Sanson or Nakamba is on more than that,  and getting fewer minutes. 

Would love us to announce a new contract for him, even if it was on over 40k. Honestly going to be worth multiple millions in a very short space of time.  Especially so if he plays a starring role in us winning the u19s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the figure was nearer to £60/70k per week. Hudson-Odoi got £120k per week at 18, and Brandon Williams got £65k per week at 19. 

Those wages for Hudson-Odoi and Williams are ridiculous to be fair, I don't think we can offer wages like Chelsea and United.  Saka at Arsenal for instance is on 30k a week and he's a regular England international.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If he won't sign a contract, I'd draw a line in the sand this pre-season. Off you pop back to the youth team.

Wouldn’t we be shooting ourselves in the foot then though? If he were to leave at the end of his contract, being u23 we’d get a tribunal fee. If he was with the first team all season, it’s more evidence to show the tribunal how highly he’s rated so we can argue a higher fee. 
Also a lot of times for youth players, it’s about luck and timing. Someone could get injured, and Carney replaces them in the team and does well, keeps his place in the team and then signs a contract. If he’s with the youth, less likely to happen.

Â