Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Last summer we bought a whole new forward line - Trezeguet, Wesley, ElGhazi. This summer it looks like we are doing it again - Rashica, Watkins, Traore. 

We got what we wanted plus a new attacking right back and a younger, international goalkeeper thrown in. 

Are we happy? I am. 

• Like 2

Cash, Watkins, Martinez, Traoré, Rashica would be one hell of a window for what would look to be an initial 93.5million. For the perfect window, I still think we would need an experienced CB, and powerhouse CM. I don’t see us now getting a back up ST as both Traoré and Rashica can play there. 

I think we would need to move some players on first:-

Nyland and Kalinic 

Elmo 

Engels (if CB comes in)

Lansbury 

Jota 

Davis (Loan)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

We desperately needed strengthening up front, wide areas and a keeper before the season started. It looks like this might be achieved in time. We do need another CM and CB but these can probably be left later in the window. Would love for us to get loftus-cheek on loan with option to buy and get an experienced CB in (Similar to what palace did with cahill).

Don’t really see the need for a CB or think one is likely.

• Like 2

Encouraging to see the signings made thus far and the potential signings to come. However........I’m still waiting for that big, powerful CM?! That would be the icing on the cake for me if we land Traore and Rashica. We need a player like Everton now have in Doucoure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Last summer we bought a whole new forward line - Trezeguet, Wesley, ElGhazi. This summer it looks like we are doing it again - Rashica, Watkins, Traore. 

We got what we wanted plus a new attacking right back and a younger, international goalkeeper thrown in. 

Are we happy? I am. 

Truth be told I'd still like an experienced centre-half and a holding midfielder. I think we are still relatively weak in those two positions and last season showed us that we aren't yet able to be a threat and solid. The signings and links thus far seem designed to make us a threat, but without better solidity it appears that we are still an either or team.

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jack has played his best stuff on the left.

But it very much is broken and its still only being mended. With Jack on the left we have little to no threat anywhere else. Moving him inside whilst getting to wide players - whether in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 is crucial to both Jack as well as the team. We need to rely on him less otherwise it'll make any future separation very difficult to recover from. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterw said:

But it very much is broken and its still only being mended. With Jack on the left we have little to no threat anywhere else. Moving him inside whilst getting to wide players - whether in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 is crucial to both Jack as well as the team. We need to rely on him less otherwise it'll make any future separation very difficult to recover from. 

How is it broken when we played so well after the break?

Just now, villalad21 said:

How is it broken when we played so well after the break?

We defended better and as for the games we won, we were lucky to not be one down at home v Palace and everyone else were on their holidays. But we were hardly an attacking threat as we decided clearly to try and nick goals mostly through set-pieces, whilst holding deeper but better shapes defensively. Pre-lockdown it was the opposite way around, we tried to attack and once found out we were opened up so often and too easily. We haven't yet worked out how to be effective at both aspects.

As for broken, that is something that happened years ago, under Lerner, and something we are slowly building back from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterw said:

We defended better and as for the games we won, we were lucky to not be one down at home v Palace and everyone else were on their holidays. But we were hardly an attacking threat as we decided clearly to try and nick goals mostly through set-pieces, whilst holding deeper but better shapes defensively. Pre-lockdown it was the opposite way around, we tried to attack and once found out we were opened up so often and too easily. We haven't yet worked out how to be effective at both aspects.

As for broken, that is something that happened years ago, under Lerner, and something we are slowly building back from.

We were hardly an attacking threat because Dean chose to set us up defensively.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We were hardly an attacking threat because Dean chose to set us up defensively.

because he had no choice. We were losing, leaking goals, Wesley injured, Samatta and Davis getting little service and not scoring. So, to try and change things we were set up defensively. I don't remember exactly but 6 games after the restart we were W0 D2 L4 having scored 1 goal in that time. maybe 2 goals - I can't recall now. Defensively we were better but only because we had to give up being an attacking threat. We're now addressing the attacking but defensively we're light in quality.

4 minutes ago, Radness said:

Does anyone think we may have promised Jack he could play midfield as further encouragement to stay? Reading the room most people think he’s better utilised forward on the left and playing him midfield wouldn’t suit us as much.

I think that is reasonable, although it is quite possible the reason he didn't look as good in the middle is because we didn't have any players good enough up front. Maybe now we will and he will be very effective centrally.