Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm amazed McEnroe didn't just say they should play 5 sets instead of his stupid Serena wouldn't beat 600 in the world comment.

So my Ladies tip won...now if Cilic does the same without me putting a stake on a double....:rant:

He's not wrong though.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'm amazed McEnroe didn't just say they should play 5 sets instead of his stupid Serena wouldn't beat 600 in the world comment.

So my Ladies tip won...now if Cilic does the same without me putting a stake on a double....:rant:

You would have got good odds on that double. almost as good as Leicester winning the title last season

12 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I don't think I have ever seen a former champion collapse like Venus did today..............bloody brilliant.

I was glad Muguruza won but the way Venus capitulated was poor. Wasn't a spectacle of a final at all

Hope the mens isn't so one way. 

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Federer is the greatest of all time, no doubt.

I agree but Djokovoc beat him in his previous two Wimbledon finals so I think him dropping off has allowed Federer back in. 

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I agree but Djokovoc beat him in his previous two Wimbledon finals so I think him dropping off has allowed Federer back in. 

Djokovic no where near as good in terms of achievements, the way Federer has bounced back after being considered buried is incredible. Perhaps Djokovic's drop off has something to do with changes to his 'diet'? 

Fed has had the whole tournament handed to him on a plate but you still have to do the job and credit to him he has done it efficiently.  His record is absurd. 

Edited by Rodders

Injuries and motivation but yes I am not denying Federer isn't the greatest I just making the point that when Djokovoc was at his very best he dominated him.  People wont remember that people will remember Federer has 19 slams Djokovic has 12 

59 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Fed has had the whole tournament handed to him on a plate but you still have to do the job and credit to him he has done it efficiently.  His record is absurd. 

Could argue the same for Murray last year tbh.

Yes you want to see the best play each other and the fact both Murray and Djokovic were carrying injuries made it a farce. I was really hoping to see a fully fit Djokovic play Federer in the semi but that shoulder/elbow injury ruined it. The answer for Murray and Djokovic is after years of pushing their bodies to the limit. They do what Federer did, take extended breaks. Forget the atp events and just play slams. Or just play a few a year. No.1 spot doesn't really matter 

Not dropping a set is incredible. To come back and win again just shows what a legend Federer is. For me far and away the greatest of all time.

Also glad to see that Halesowen's own Jordanne Whiley winning again in the wheelchair doubles . 4 years in a row, such a remarkable achievement. Glad to see the BBC showed the match today and are recognising disabled sport for once. It looks so hard work.

Also great to see Miss Hingis playing again, was always one of my favourites when growing up, there's just something about her :wub:

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

Ok I am trying to make a case for Djokovic here. Head to heads between the two players 23-22 Djokovic so that's even enough. However head to head in grand slam matches Djokovic 9 Federer 6 and most of Federers wins came when Djokovic was very young. Kind of proves that despite Federer winning most slams and being the most pleasing on the eye Djokovic had the beating of him. 

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Also great to see Miss Hingis playing again, was always one of my favourites when growing up, there's just something about her :wub:

Hingis must have some kind of magic youth elixor, she doesn't seem to age!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Not dropping a set is incredible. To come back and win again just shows what a legend Federer is. For me far and away the greatest of all time.

Him and Nadal are the only ones I hold in higher esteem than Borg. Him retiring at 26 when he couldn't be arsed any more was such a bloody shame. What could have been and all that.

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Ok I am trying to make a case for Djokovic here. Head to heads between the two players 23-22 Djokovic so that's even enough. However head to head in grand slam matches Djokovic 9 Federer 6 and most of Federers wins came when Djokovic was very young. Kind of proves that despite Federer winning most slams and being the most pleasing on the eye Djokovic had the beating of him. 

Don't really see how this makes the case. Sugar Ray Robinson fought against Gene Fullmer four times, Fullmer one twice, Robinson won once and the other fight was a draw. No one argues that Fullmer is better.

Federer has held it down a lot longer than Djokovic and has a lot more slams. Tennis as a sport had to adapt to Federer and players like Djokovic and Murray are a product of that. Now Federer is reigning supreme again, over players like Murray, Djokovic and Nadal. 

It's possible that Djokovic can turn things around and beat Federer's record over the next 5-6 years but highly unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...
Â