Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

You talk about 'its always excuses' with Dean but during the last few weeks have come up with a whole host of them to protect Bruce. 

Fact is, Dean has achieved a whole load more than Bruce as our manager. This is fact. This is despite having to sort out the 'long term mess' left by Bruce last summer. 

Yet you consistently chose to protect Bruce nearly right until the bitter end and you've given Smith little to no time at all. This is fact.

I firmly believe that if we stay up Sunday, it's ONE OF the best achievements any manager has had as a manager of AVFC in the premier league. 

To go on a record breaking winning streak, get promoted, build a whole squad for relatively cheap, make a cup final and then keep us up.... This would be a genuinely incredible achievement in my opinion. 

Bruce has performed better than Smith this season.

Don't know why you people bring up the cup final every day. Does a final we lost make you so proud?

Small club mentality. If you can't win it i don't care about finals.

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Bruce has performed better than Smith this season.

Don't know why you people bring up the cup final every day. Does a final we lost make you so proud?

Small club mentality. Just thankful playing in a final.

It's better than not being in the final

10 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

As someone said earlier I'm confident but never underestimate the ability for villa to stab you in the heart. After fighting back from near certain death it would be really painful. If we'd have just got ONE POINT against Bournemouth or Watford never got the fluke of the decade v Liverpool we'd be practically home and dry

Mate if engels didnt feck up that last minute as well or the palace goal taht was disallowed there are so many that have hine against us

5 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

It's better than not being in the final

A losing cup final is nothing to brag about.

Well at least to me it is. But maybe i have a different mentality than some.

17th isn't a good season. It's an acceptable season.

We have shown we are a better side than Newcastle over 2 games and yet they are mid table. Smith needs to get more out of these players on a consistent basis. It's no good just to turn up the last 10 games of the season.

This has happened in 2 seasons in a row now. You have to show these performance levels and desire from start to finish.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate if engels didnt feck up that last minute as well or the palace goal taht was disallowed there are so many that have hine against us

You cant count ifs and buts else you have to consider the goal sheff united scored against us, the last minutes goals we did score against brighton and watford. For me, everyone has these moments in a season, they tend to balance out over the season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'm talking about avfc. I know, being a Leeds fan, this is an alien concept to you. But, as you're here, let's try it... Yeah?

I thought they performed pretty equal.

Both achieved play off final. Anything can happen in a final. You need a tad bit of luck.

How Bruce would perform in the Premier League we can only speculate. But he has performed well with a worse team.

Newcastle being a worse team is based on the 2 games against them where we've looked the better side. Reason they are mid table and we are not is their ability to defend and grind out result which is mainly down to coaching.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

Both achieved play off final. Anything can happen in a final. You need a tad bit of luck.

How Bruce would perform in the Premier League we can only speculate. But he has performed well with a worse team.

One got us promoted. The other didn't. You talk about a losing finalist as something that doesn't matter. That applies here too.

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

One got us promoted. The other didn't. You talk about a losing finalist as something that doesn't matter. That applies here too.

Yeah but a final is a one off game. It's fine lines.

Derby's keeper had an absolute howler of a game. Often times you need luck like that to get you through.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah but a final is a one off game. It's fine lines.

Derby's keeper had an absolute howler of a game. Often times you need luck like that to get you through.

But a losing finalist doesn't matter. It's nothing to be proud of. You said that yourself.

Winning a final and promotion is. There's no comparison between the 2 because 1 got us promoted and the other didn't. End of

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You are Alex Bruce and I claim my 5 pounds.

• Haha 2

Just now, Mjvilla said:

But a losing finalist doesn't matter. It's nothing to be proud of. You said that yourself.

Winning a final and promotion is. There's no comparison between the 2 because 1 got us promoted and the other didn't. End of

Yeah and i don't bring up losing finals every day like you.

12 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

You cant count ifs and buts else you have to consider the goal sheff united scored against us, the last minutes goals we did score against brighton and watford. For me, everyone has these moments in a season, they tend to balance out over the season.

This ‘they tend to balance our’ idea is a myth though. How can dodgy decisions throughout a season always balance out? It’s a bunch of completely random occurrences.

Forgetting the slips, trips and fortuitous bounces, the wrong decisions have actually gone against us.

Off the top of my head, the wrong decisions (VAR/ Ref/ hawk eye) that have gone against us are:

- Lansbury’s Palace goal disallowed

- Man Utd given a non-penalty

-  Arsenal handball in the box, should have been a Pen to us

- McGinn climbed on top of in the Spurs penalty area, no pen given

- Mings adjudged to have handballed it with his shoulder, giving Leicester a Pen

The wrong decisions that have gone FOR us, are these:

- Sheff United goal over the line

- Sakho shoulder goal ruled out as handball against Palace

There may be others I’m forgetting. But I’m pretty confident that the ‘wrong’ decisions have gone against us this season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Newcastle being a worse team is based on the 2 games against them where we've looked the better side. Reason they are mid table and we are not is their ability to defend and grind out result which is mainly down to coaching.

Get the f**k out of here. We ended the Bruce season with a whimper. Yes we got to the final but everyone was bored. Villa park hardly sold out once that season.  Nobody really expected us to beat Fulham either. It was more hope. 

Now compare that to the end of Smiths season. Villa park was bouncing. The football was exciting. We all knew we were going to win that final! 

So yes whilst they may have achieved the same goal in getting us to a playoff final. Both managers did it very differently. 

edit: You’re just looking at it based on stats and final positions. Football is so much more than that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Get the f**k out of here. We ended the Bruce season with a whimper. Yes we got to the final but everyone was bored. Villa park hardly sold out once that season.  Nobody really expected us to beat Fulham either. It was more hope. 

Now compare that to the end of Smiths season. Villa park was bouncing. The football was exciting. We all knew we were going to win that final! 

So yes whilst they may have achieved the same goal in getting us to a playoff final. Both managers did it very differently. 

We scored 78 goals in the 17/18 season