Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

My hall way back when (and was only demolished this year) had one kitchen for each block (30 people to a block) and one bathroom / shower / toilet room per floor (3 floors)

Screenshot_20201115_190925_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Rather than blame them we should be asking “why are they there in the middle of a pandemic?”

I think a bit of both.

I completely agree it was absurd they were told to turn up to the universities in person. I thinks because of the farce with this years exam results the government didn’t have a clue how to handle deferred or predicted tests.

Saying that, you can’t give the students a free pass. They need to accept some blame for their actions too. I’m sure their situation is far from ideal but it’s still not ok go do what they’ve been doing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

So where is the space that they are having the party in? It's obviously some sort of communal area? If thats the main lobby they all pass through that area multiple times every day, is it the dining room? I don't know, its not really that relevant anyway.

It's not, but as you asked, it looks like the reception area from the very blurry photo. Basically just a helpdesk, lockers for post, a laundrette and some vending machines. I'm surprised they got away with it so long as it used to be staffed 24/7 back in my day!

Just now, Genie said:

I think a bit of both.

I completely agree it was absurd they were told to turn up to the universities in person. I thinks because of the farce with this years exam results the government didn’t have a clue how to handle deferred or predicted tests.

Saying that, you can’t give the students a free pass. They need to accept some blame for their actions too. I’m sure their situation is far from ideal but it’s still not ok go do what they’ve been doing.

It's not that it's a "free pass" for them to do what they like. Clearly they've broken the Covid laws and that needs to be looked at. It's not right, but it is understandable.

The problem is that we're now going to get a load of politicians (mainly tories) and general online bell ends who'll say words to the effect of "it's people like this that are causing the lockdown". A certain type of person will lap it up all day long, share it online, and all context is lost. I'd rather we look at what these kids have been subjected to for the last few months and try to understand the anger and boredom that has caused them to do something like that. Obviously without excusing it.

I've also got a problem with the inevitable uni investigation into these kids where they could be disciplined or worse thrown off their courses without any recognition of the part they've played in keeping their students as captives for cash.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m sure their situation is far from ideal

This really underplays the situation they are in. Imagine living in an unsupervised open prison with not even a crime to reflect on and paying thousands for the priveledge.

Halls of residence only really work in normal times because Students living there are supervised, have a support network and plenty of options away from the halls to meet people and "play" (for want of a better term). None of that is there for them

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I've also got a problem with the inevitable uni investigation into these kids where they could be disciplined or worse thrown off their courses without any recognition of the part they've played in keeping their students as captives for cash.

Add to that, the amount of fines that Universities have levied on their students:

UK universities fine students £170,000 for Covid rule breaches

Universities fined students more than £170,000 for breaching coronavirus safety rules in the first weeks of the new academic year, a Guardian analysis has found, as students told of struggling to make friends without flouting restrictions.

Twenty-eight institutions fined students for breaking university, local and national Covid rules, including on household mixing, mandatory face coverings and social distancing, according to responses from 105 universities to freedom of information (FoI) requests.

University of Nottingham students paid more than one-third of the total amount, with 91 fined a total of £58,865 up to 12 November – more than the amount levied on its student population by police. The university said the individual fines it issued were up to £1,500.

The fines handed down to 1,898 students amounted to £170,915. Most universities only disclosed fines levied in the first two to three weeks of term. Some said the money would be paid into their student hardship fund.

...more

We got banned from a bar at one hall of residence at Poly but if they'd tried to demand money from us, there'd have been uproar and a full scale riot. Cheeky bastards.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, bickster said:

to be honest I wonder why they haven't gone full on Lord of the Flies

Yeah, then some corners of society could cheer them on. Well done, you show them! 

Then in the next breath they can complain how they’ve lost their job, or loved ones because the pandemic is never **** ending because people can’t control themselves.

2052-C009-F57-C-4772-A657-2-A67-CEEF469-

Edited by Genie

A lot of the replies to the tweet are other students upset that they missed out.

It’s alright though, some of them have had to survive on a diet food, drink, beer, internet, TV, mates, Xbox, pool, table tennis for over 10 weeks in their “prison”.

Edited by Genie

15 hours ago, bickster said:

One wonders which rule it is exactly that they are breaking, they are in the building in which they live

Complaining that students are having a covid party before going home are silly, they all live there. Is there a rule that you can't jump around in your porch?

The Government and the Uni's kind of forced them to be there and forced them into a residential bubble of hundreds, thousands in some cases

I keep saying this but blaming students for that kind of behaviour is nonsense, try living in a rabbit hutch when you're a human

Jesus @bickster, you can't just keep staying in denial on this.  There could be just 1 person in that crowd spreading it from person to person. Then next week they will all be returning to all corners of the country taking the virus home with them.  It's completely indefensible and utterly stupid behaviour. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bickster said:

So where is the space that they are having the party in? It's obviously some sort of communal area? If thats the main lobby they all pass through that area multiple times every day, is it the dining room? I don't know, its not really that relevant anyway. I'll wager shit like this is going on up and down the country as the staff that supervise halls of residence are probably going nowhere near the students

These are kids, living away from home for the first time with no parents, shit like that is always going to happen especially in the first term, its happening because they've got nothing else to amuse themselves.

I honestly feel really sorry for them. Starting the academic year was the mistake, the rest was inevitable

It's perfectly possible to use communal areas in a sensible way but they are clearly not.  They are rammed in shoulder to shoulder, probably singing loudly in each others faces to their favourite tune. 

As much as anything it's the timing as well.  OK when you've just arrived and got months ahead of you to stretch it out it would still be dumb, very much so but to do it now when they are all about to go home is down right dangerous. 

Someone I know has a daughter at Uni now and they've had zero cases in their halls of residence. I would bet there has been none of this nonsense going on there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

No one is saying this is responsible behaviour, it clearly isn't but to expect responsible behaviour from 18 year olds, mostly away from parental supervision for the first time in their lives and being forced into an utterly unacceptable situation is rather folly.

This is where we’ll have to agree to disagree.

EVERYBODY has had to make huge changes to their daily routines and live with massive restrictions. You’ve compared their living situation to that of a prison which is crazy. If they weren’t at university and learning remotely they’d be at home, still be restricted to what they can do and where they can go, just like the rest of us.

Just because a poor decision was made to allow them back to Uni doesn’t mean that they can behave in a way that will certainly endanger lives at a critical time and be blame free. If they get fined, or kicked out of their accommodation, removed from their course or get a criminal record then it’s absolutely on them. They should know better.

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Jesus @bickster, you can't just keep staying in denial on this.  There could be just 1 person in that crowd spreading it from person to person. Then next week they will all be returning to all corners of the country taking the virus home with them.  It's completely indefensible and utterly stupid behaviour. 

Absolutely this. People become lost in bashing the tories to the point that they condone this behaviour. It’s indefensible.

The quote about blaming students for their own behaviour as being “utter nonsense” has absolutely blown my mind. It’s bordering on “she was wearing a short skirt so what does she expect”. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is where we’ll have to agree to disagree.

EVERYBODY has had to make huge changes to their daily routines and live with massive restrictions. You’ve compared their living situation to that of a prison which is crazy. If they weren’t at university and learning remotely they’d be at home, still be restricted to what they can do and where they can go, just like the rest of us.

Not everybody has to pay 9k plus residence fees for the pleasure though. 

• Confused 1

Â