Generic Virus Thread

villakram

On 25/11/2020 at 15:22, snowychap said:
On 24/11/2020 at 14:07, sidcow said:
On 24/11/2020 at 05:34, snowychap said:

... the idea of checking in to places and venues with QR codes would be a good bet to become quite standard (possibly required by places on some sort of claim of H&S/fire safety/security/licensing or maybe by way of commercial incentives offered by stores, &c.).

Politically I can't see any way this will happen. 

Remember the objections to identity cards. Anything which tracks and records movements will have massive objections. (yet bizzairely 99% of the population are perfectly happy to have Apple and Google track their movements, no problem there at all) 

But in an incentive-led way (discounts such as shopping clubcards and loyalty cards) and a 'looking after our staff' way (if you're showing a temperature when there's a flu bug going around we won't let you in), then I do think it's possible if not quite probably.

Apologies for the return to the multiquote for a moment but I thought it would just put it back in to context.

This is the kind of thing that I had in mind (from the BBC live page - 12:46 today):

BBC Radio 5 Live's Nicky Campbell asked listeners what they thought about vaccine passports.

They're something Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has said are not in the pipeline to give people access to places such as pubs and restaurants.

But Emma (pictured) runs the Stables Pub and Restaurant in Exeter. She thinks they are a good idea.

“I think it’s something that we seriously have to consider. Being in the hospitality sector, things have been pretty tough so far," she said.

She also said it will encourage those that have been in quarantine to feel safe when they return to normal life.

“We have a lot of people that have been isolating for months and months and months, and we want them to feel safe coming out and coming into the pubs," she said.

“We have a lot of older customers that come to us so it would be a massive consideration for them, to feel safe in our environment."

She also said it will make staff feel more comfortable at work.

“We have a big responsibility for our team," she added.

I know it's only one publican saying this but I really do think that this may end up being a runner and beyond the short term, too.

23 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I know it's only one publican saying this but I really do think that this may end up being a runner and beyond the short term, too.

Me too, if only to encourge vaccination

I completely don't agree with it, as its bound to be smart phone app based and therein lies the pandoras box of a surveilance state. There's a world of difference between having a  certificate or a card to gain entry and giving your exact location to a government organisation

19 hours ago, Genie said:

The wife was a bit achey over the weekend and today seems to have developed a cough and tight chest so at 6:30 tonight we decided to get a test.

Next slot 7:30 tonight at B’ham airport. Very efficient service from booking to completing the test. Hopefully get the result tomorrow.

The good news is as expected the wife tested negative so we can go back to normal life of staying in the house 🙂 Kids can go back to school tomorrow though (win/win).

The Test was requested at 18:30 last night, dropped into the bucket about 19:45 and then result can through today at noon. That is pretty impressive. It cost too much and took too long but it’s in place now at least.

One thing that has surprised me negatively is the lack of action from the NHS app. I was waiting for it to ding, or beep to say that the person sat next to me and living at the same address had symptoms... but nothing.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

The Test was requested at 18:30 last night, dropped into the bucket about 19:45 and then result can through today at noon. That is pretty impressive. It cost too much and took too long but it’s in place now at least.

Apart from the disaster at the beginning of September when schools went back and people were being directed to all ends of the country, the testing/ results bit has always been pretty smooth. 

We had to get a test for my daughter in May, and the experience was much the same as yours. It's the tracing bit that was, and still is, not fit for purpose. 

• Like 1

A little light relief:

Naked MEP leapt from window as Belgian police broke up lockdown-flouting sex party

'A naked MEP leapt from a window after police tried to break up a 25-strong orgy in Brussels for breaking the city’s coronavirus rules.

József Szájer, a Hungarian MEP from Viktor Orban’s Fidesz party, said in a statement that he was “present” at the “private party” of diplomats on Friday night, which took place just a few metres from a city centre police station and the city’s Grand-Place square.

The MEP tried to flee through a window but injured himself in the process and was apprehended by police before claiming European Parliament immunity, according to local media.

Szájer said police gave him “an official verbal warning” and took him home. 

He added that he was “sorry” and that he “deeply” regretted breaking the city’s Covid restrictions. “It was irresponsible on my part. I am ready to stand for the fine that occurs,” he said.

Szájer resigned as an MEP on Sunday.

Police fined 25 people at the “lockdown party” £225 pounds each before releasing them.'

more on link: https://www.cityam.com/naked-mep-leapt-from-window-as-belgian-police-broke-up-lockdown-flouting-sex-party/

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Does anybody believe these apologies from politicians and celebrities?

Like Rita Ora. Only after her birthday party at a restaurant, does she realise that it was the wrong thing to do. 

I'd let her get away with a lot of stuff but even i can't defend that! 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Like Rita Ora. Only after her birthday party at a restaurant, does she realise that it was the wrong thing to do. 

I'd let her get away with a lot of stuff but even i can't defend that! 

I have sought out one of my favourite posts off the back of this in the piss you off thread. 

• Like 1

In today's vote that takes necessary steps to protect us from the dangers of the pandemic/unnecessarily continues the nanny state stripping us of our rights (delete as appropriate), 369 of our 650 MPs voted.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

In today's vote that takes necessary steps to protect us from the dangers of the pandemic/unnecessarily continues the nanny state stripping us of our rights (delete as appropriate), 369 of our 650 MPs voted.

Pretty much every party abstained except the Tories and a few naughty Labour MPs. The SNP would never have voted anyway as it isn't a law that affects Scotland

What are you suggesting they do, vote against a bill on the grounds it doesn't go far enough?

I think abstention is probably the right decision. It's not a good look to be voting against the restrictions. That really could be miscontrued as pandering to the anti-lockdown loons

Some of Labour's abstentions have been a little baffling but this one I think is justified

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Pretty much every party abstained except the Tories and a few naughty Labour MPs. The SNP would never have voted anyway as it isn't a law that affects Scotland

What are you suggesting they do, vote against a bill on the grounds it doesn't go far enough?

I think abstention is probably the right decision. It's not a good look to be voting against the restrictions. That really could be miscontrued as pandering to the anti-lockdown loons

Some of Labour's abstentions have been a little baffling but this one I think is justified

I actually just didn't do enough reading before posting and didn't realise that it was a result of a whipped abstention, nothing to see here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

anti gay politician takes part in a mostly men sex party 

Colour me shocked 

You walk into the room with your pencil in your hand
You see somebody naked and you say, "Who is that man?"
You try so hard but you don't understand
Just what you will say when you get home
Because something is happening here but you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
You raise up your head and you ask, "Is this where it is?"
And somebody points to you and says, "It's his"
And you say, "What's mine?" and somebody else says, "Well, what is?"
And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
But something is happening and you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
You hand in your ticket and you go watch the geek
Who immediately walks up to you when he hears you speak
And says, "How does it feel to be such a freak?"
And you say, "Impossible!" as he hands you a bone
And something is happening here but you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
You have many contacts among the lumberjacks
To get you facts when someone attacks your imagination
But nobody has any respect, anyway they already expect you to all give a check
To tax-deductible charity organizations
Ah, you've been with the professors and they've all liked your looks
With great lawyers you have discussed lepers and crooks
You've been through all of F. Scott Fitzgerald's books
You're very well-read, it's well-known
But something is happening here and you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
Well, the sword swallower, he comes up to you and then he kneels
He crosses himself and then he clicks his high heels
And without further notice, he asks you how it feels
And he says, "Here is your throat back, thanks for the loan"
And you know something is happening but you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
Now, you see this one-eyed midget shouting the word "Now"
And you say, "For what reason?" and he says, "How"
And you say, "What does this mean?" and he screams back, "You're a cow!
Give me some milk or else go home"
And you know something's happening but you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
Well, you walk into the room like a camel, and then you frown
You put your eyes in your pocket and your nose on the ground
There ought to be a law against you comin' around
You should be made to wear earphones
'Cause something is happening and you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for widespread use. 

British regulator, the MHRA, says the jab, which offers up to 95% protection against Covid-19 illness, is safe for rollout next week.

Immunisations could start within days for those who need it the most, such as elderly, vulnerable patients. 

The UK has already ordered 40m doses - enough to vaccinate 20m people. 

Around 10m doses should be available soon, with the first 800,000 arriving in the UK in the coming days. 

It is the fastest ever vaccine to go from concept to reality, taking only 10 months to follow the same developmental steps that normally span a decade. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted "It's the protection of vaccines that will ultimately allow us to reclaim our lives and get the economy moving again."

Health Secretary Matt Hancock told BBC Breakfast that people will be contacted by the NHS when it is their turn for the jab. 

He said: "I'm confident now with the news today that from spring, from Easter onwards, things are going to be better and we're going to have a summer next year that everybody can enjoy."

NHS Chief Executive, Sir Simon Stevens, said the health service was preparing for "the largest-scale vaccination campaign in our country's history".

Link

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the virus

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

Â