Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Last day of isolation tomorrow and finally feeling better. Unfortunately wife and kids still have till Monday before they can leave the house. 

This thing has really knocked me about without making me feel really ill. Very strange, I've never had an illness like it. Absolutely exhausted most of the day. 

Had a bit of a panic a couple of nights ago, woke up with the feeling as though someone was pushing on my chest. I could take a deep breath but it felt like my lungs were fighting against it all the way. 

It has sucked and I can only imagine how bad it must be for people hospitalised with it. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

• Thanks 1

The Great Barrington Declaration

As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection.

remainder on link

On October 4, 2020, this declaration was authored and signed in Great Barrington, United States, by:

Dr. Martin Kulldorff, professor of medicine at Harvard University, a biostatistician, and epidemiologist with expertise in detecting and monitoring of infectious disease outbreaks and vaccine safety evaluations.

Dr. Sunetra Gupta, professor at Oxford University, an epidemiologist with expertise in immunology, vaccine development, and mathematical modeling of infectious diseases.

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, professor at Stanford University Medical School, a physician, epidemiologist, health economist, and public health policy expert focusing on infectious diseases and vulnerable populations.

Some expert reaction to the declaration:

An open letter has been published, arguing against lockdown policies and for ‘Focused Protection’.

Dr Julian Tang, Honorary Associate Professor in Respiratory Sciences, University of Leicester, said: ...

Dr Rupert Beale, Group Leader, Cell Biology of Infection Laboratory, Francis Crick Institute, said: ...

Dr Michael Head, Senior Research Fellow in Global Health, University of Southampton, said: ...

Dr Stephen Griffin, Associate Professor in the School of Medicine, University of Leeds, said: ...

Dr Simon Clarke, Associate Professor of Cellular Microbiology at the University of Reading, said: ...

Prof James Naismith FRS FRSE FMedSci, Director of the Rosalind Franklin Institute, and University of Oxford, said: ...

Prof Jeremy Rossman, Honorary Senior Lecturer in Virology, University of Kent, said: ...

...details on link

44 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

So that's going well then.

Far be it from me to defend the government, but surely the relevant comparison is not between now and when the restrictions were imposed, but between now and a best-guess estimate of what they would be if the restrictions weren't imposed?

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Miranda Devine is Australia’s answer to Anne Coulter/Kate Hopkins. 

I can't decide of this is just a desperate attempt to backfill an ethical justification to returning to normal as fast as possible, or if they are legit somewhat annoyed that seniors are abandoning Trump at an alarming speed (I guess probably both).

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Far be it from me to defend the government, but surely the relevant comparison is not between now and when the restrictions were imposed, but between now and a best-guess estimate of what they would be if the restrictions weren't imposed?

Whilst that's partly correct, i.e. answering the question 'have they had any effect', if the aim of the restrictions was to get the infection rate under control and they've been brought in and have failed to get it under control, i.e. it has kept rising, then they've failed.

I wonder how the rates in the (Tory) constituencies that haven't seen local restrictions (yet have similar rates to those that have) have fared?

Pretty much all pubs and restaurants closed in Ireland now. No fans at sporting events and town centres are dead. Can't see it changing for the remainder of this year. It's very hard to buy into any lockdown when there is no information published by the government. They don't explain the model they are using or what they think a "safe" level of the virus is. We won't have any vaccine or treatment until next year so we have to learn to live with this virus. Problem is that nobody has a plan as to how we do that. The people in power need to show some leadership and stop trying to treat the public like children. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Pretty much all pubs and restaurants closed in Ireland now. No fans at sporting events and town centres are dead. Can't see it changing for the remainder of this year. It's very hard to buy into any lockdown when there is no information published by the government. They don't explain the model they are using or what they think a "safe" level of the virus is. We won't have any vaccine or treatment until next year so we have to learn to live with this virus. Problem is that nobody has a plan as to how we do that. The people in power need to show some leadership and stop trying to treat the public like children. 

The risk curve as a function of age has been known for some time and is ignored. We have hard data now and know exactly how covid fares in comparison to traffic accidents, suicide, heart disease, cancer etc., but we must shut down the world because nobody can even get sick with the covid virus, nevermind have their life threatened.

51 minutes ago, villakram said:

We have hard data now 

This is the bit that annoys me. Why isn't this data reported on and investigated by the media. The virus has been around since last December at least. Get scientists with different models on a tv debate and have some one intelligent asking them questions. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2020 at 12:20, bickster said:

1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns

I thought so, but wait... 

The blunder that saw 16,000 positive Covid-19 tests go missing was caused by failing to replace software an astonishing 13 years out of date, experts believe.

The version of Microsoft Excel used – known as XLS – was superseded back in 2007, but was still being deployed by Public Health England’s systems.

It could handle only about 65,000 rows of data, rather than the million-plus that the newer software XLSX is capable of – which meant any additional test results were lopped off.

They were using Office 2007. Let me just repeat that to convince myself I didn't dream it: THEY WERE USING OFFICE 2007. 

WTAF???? 

Almost beyond belief, isn't it?

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Bit of a gamble.

MIAMI DOLPHINS GET 'FULL CAPACITY' APPROVAL FROM GOV.... For 65,000 Seat Stadium

The Miami Dolphins have been granted permission from the governor of Florida to allow full capacity at Hard Rock Stadium.

You read that correctly. We're talking 65,000 seats. In the middle of a pandemic.

The green light comes by way of Gov. Ron DeSantis -- whose spokesperson told Andy Slater the team is now allowed to pack their stadium as part of statewide removal of COVID-19 stadium restrictions.

That doesn't mean the Dolphins will rush to allow 65,000 people to watch the team at their next home game ... Slater says the org. still plans on limiting the number of fans to 13,000 at the next home game on Oct. 25.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/07/miami-dolphins-allowed-to-have-full-capacity-at-games-florida-governor/

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I thought so, but wait... 

They were using Office 2007. Let me just repeat that to convince myself I didn't dream it: THEY WERE USING OFFICE 2007. 

WTAF???? 

Almost beyond belief, isn't it?

Wasn't the issue with NHS computers going down to that ransomware a couple of years ago down to them running XP? Or was that apocryphal?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I posted something last week that Florida was removing all restrictions. The theme parks can remove all the controls they have in place, bars and restaurants too. Utter madness.

Is Florida a Republican ran swing state?

Â