Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Bloody hot here.

But I do appear to be the only person in town that doesn’t have a helicopter.

There are three minimum, possibly four, back n fore back n fore worrying about the numbers on the beach.

70’s /80’s cop story, once upon a time they’d have just parked a police van across the road and literally told everyone to turn around and **** off. Which they did. Frequently. Even if you lived here.

Todays miracle cure is invermectin, commonly used to combat headlice & used to prevent spreads of parasites on salmon farms

https://www.monash.edu/discovery-institute/news-and-events/news/2020-articles/possible-coronavirus-drug-identified-by-monash-university-scientists

• A Monash University-led study has shown that an anti-parasitic drug already available around the world can kill the virus within 48 hours.
  • Scientists showed that a single dose of the drug, Ivermectin, could stop the SARS-CoV-2 virus growing in cell culture.
  • The next steps are to determine the correct human dosage – ensuring the doses shown to effectively

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220302011

Although several clinical trials are now underway to test possible therapies, the worldwide response to the COVID-19 outbreak has been largely limited to monitoring/containment. We report here that Ivermectin, an FDA-approved anti-parasitic previously shown to have broad-spectrum anti-viral activity in vitro, is an inhibitor of the causative virus (SARS-CoV-2), with a single addition to Vero-hSLAM cells 2 hours post infection with SARS-CoV-2 able to effect ∼5000-fold reduction in viral RNA at 48 h. Ivermectin therefore warrants further investigation for possible benefits in humans.

Edited by LakotaDakota

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

;)

Only about 13 degrees here, but it's clear blue skies. I was wearing shorts. 

See that’s cold to me. I think I’ve been spoilt by holidays to very hot places, and 11 years on, I’ve still not acclimatised to Yorkshire! 

They wear shorts all year round here  :blink:

Gove reporting hospital admissions in the Midlands up 47% for Covid cases since beginning of April - the highest rate of increase in the country. 

Nightingale at NEC will now be a 2,000 bed field hospital - think original plan was for 1,000 beds. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

What I don't get in this whole tragedy is how a Mr and Mrs Smith are supposed to have 3 months savings for a rainy day and deal with the problems, yet a 4 week closedown and Football Clubs, Airlines, Massive corporations are suddenly out of business and needing bailing out.

Shows what a shit show of an economy we live in. How is it supposed to be sustainable if massive businesses don't even have funds to keep them going for a month or two?

Its cash isn't it. You can have a valuable business but its the drying up of cash that will kill you. Owning millions of pounds of assets, be it property, or stock, doesn't pay the bills when your bank account is empty. 

From a personal level, I've always maintained a decent 'rainy day' fund, which would see me through a fair amount of time in the  event of the worst. I realise i'm probably in the minority in this after speaking to friends and colleagues. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I realise i'm probably in the minority in this after speaking to friends and colleagues. 

I’m surprised by this ... I didn’t think you’d have any friends :P

But seriously, I was out the other week with friends and was surprised how many of them were living  on overdrafts ... and this was before the lockdown and furlough etc ... I think , unfortunately, that’s the reality for a lot of people 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

Gove reporting hospital admissions in the Midlands up 47% for Covid cases since beginning of April - the highest rate of increase in the country. 

Nightingale at NEC will now be a 2,000 bed field hospital - think original plan was for 1,000 beds. 

Apparently plan is to move most cases to NEC. Supposed to be happening over the next 2 weeks to take the strain off the Local hospitals

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Todays miracle cure is invermectin, commonly used to combat headlice & used to prevent spreads of parasites on salmon farms

https://www.monash.edu/discovery-institute/news-and-events/news/2020-articles/possible-coronavirus-drug-identified-by-monash-university-scientists

• A Monash University-led study has shown that an anti-parasitic drug already available around the world can kill the virus within 48 hours.
  • Scientists showed that a single dose of the drug, Ivermectin, could stop the SARS-CoV-2 virus growing in cell culture.
  • The next steps are to determine the correct human dosage – ensuring the doses shown to effectively

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220302011

Although several clinical trials are now underway to test possible therapies, the worldwide response to the COVID-19 outbreak has been largely limited to monitoring/containment. We report here that Ivermectin, an FDA-approved anti-parasitic previously shown to have broad-spectrum anti-viral activity in vitro, is an inhibitor of the causative virus (SARS-CoV-2), with a single addition to Vero-hSLAM cells 2 hours post infection with SARS-CoV-2 able to effect ∼5000-fold reduction in viral RNA at 48 h. Ivermectin therefore warrants further investigation for possible benefits in humans.

This is huge. IF its not just a load of balls, then it's game set and match. 

I'm very grateful for being encouraged to be financially sensible from a young age, I've been lucky enough to ensure I have a 6 month emergency fund, but I know most of my colleagues, who earn a bloody good wage, would be completely screwed within a month if they lost their job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Just make fines £10k and see how quickly people decide to meet up for a party or gather in the parks.

Conscription.

One warning. Then you are drafted into Risk areas to help.

Seriously.

I know I will be mocked, but this isn’t a DRILL !!!!😡

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Seems to be the same everywhere, Mail are having a field day with it. Loads of pictures & videos of hundreds of people out & about. This is not lockdown. Just a few shops are closed.

Video below needs to be seen to be believed really

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2020/04/04/2003732278786017431/640x360_MP4_2003732278786017431.mp4

26803938-8186935-image-a-46_158600151752

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8186935/Police-tell-holidaymakers-stay-home-Easter-holiday-period.html

With temperatures heading for the mid to high 60s, health chiefs were afraid people would ignore the government's coronavirus lockdown rules, jeopardising the strategy of limiting the spread of the deadly Covid-19 virus. 

Officials warn the lockdown may have to be extended if people continue to ignore the advice to stay at home and only go out for essential reasons. 

In London's Regent Park, dozens of 'Middle-Aged Men in Lycra' (MAMILs) ignored the Government's Covid-19 lockdown rules to congregate in Regent's Park in London to ride their bicycles in large groups. 

Groups of men, clad in lycra, riding in close formation. Across in Paddington, keep fit fans were photographed training in a recreation ground - again ignoring social distancing rules.  

In Cambridge, groups of people lazed on the banks of the River Cam enjoying the sunshine. 

Groups of people were also spotted in Brighton, jeopardising the government's Covid-19 strategy.   

Police chiefs have warned that people breaching the coronavirus lockdown rules face being fined.

Forces plan to step up patrols in beauty spots and major routes to the coast, as officers warn 'lockdown in Easter shouldn't be much different from lockdown' on any other day.

26801314-8186935-image-a-29_158599113927

I would say, having watched the video, it could be worse. Pretty much everyone was keeping some distance. 
Why you’d risk it is utterly beyond me though. 
Ive not been past my front step for nearly a month, why risk it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

What I don't get in this whole tragedy is how a Mr and Mrs Smith are supposed to have 3 months savings for a rainy day and deal with the problems, yet a 4 week closedown and Football Clubs, Airlines, Massive corporations are suddenly out of business and needing bailing out.

Shows what a shit show of an economy we live in. How is it supposed to be sustainable if massive businesses don't even have funds to keep them going for a month or two?

Great post sir 👍

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Great post sir 👍

Surely everyone knows most big companies are run by the banks, an shareholders and are not actually cash rich. Our company said they need £47 million a month to turn the lights on and pay salaries. They admitted they won't even have that in the in the bank after 2 months. Which is the major reason most are still working or furlonged.

I doubt there will be a single large company willing to pay salaries after the first month if still in lockdown.

On 04/04/2020 at 16:50, terrytini said:

I would say, having watched the video, it could be worse. Pretty much everyone was keeping some distance. 
Why you’d risk it is utterly beyond me though. 
Ive not been past my front step for nearly a month, why risk it ?

Ive been walking or running in my local park every day during the lockdown. 

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with it as long as they’re keeping to social distancing. I stay as far away as possible from anyone I meet. 

If anyone is meeting up with friends and stuff in the park though then they’re idiots. That’s totally different. 

I think there’s a general misconception from people that if you’re outside then you’re fine.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

i go for a walk every day, I went out this afternoon for a walk through the hills by me, I would say at a lazily guess maybe around 500 people doing the same, loads of cars, various different routes and lots of distancing

hits 25 degrees next week

people are going to go out, its not against the law either

• Like 1

Business after business after business asking for Government ( ie taxpayers) money.

I don’t mind, just so long as when this is over they are happy to give it back in the form of higher taxes so we can properly prepare for the next one, and live in a civilised way,  by having a Country that makes Health, Homes, and Care a priority.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â